Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 AM

I am thinking of omitting the sashing and using the half chevrons in a border. I think by omitting the sashing, it won't look so pink and it will bring the aqua out more. I think I need to set up my design wall soon!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:02 AM

NZquilter, what an excellent idea!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 AM

I hope those of you with other ideas for block placement will post pics. Although I like the on-point setting, I'm backing off of using the coral chevrons as sashing. I know they help make the secondary design, but I'd rather have more aqua (green for me) in the body of the quilt. I don't know if I have enough green to make green chevrons, and I'm not sure I want to go to all that trouble. I may end up just using a triple sashing (neutral on the outside and green on the inside), and brown cornerstones. I could then use the neutral as setting triangles and a thin inner border of green to bring it together, and maybe use the chevrons as an outer border. But for now, I'm putting it away for a couple of days as I have to unsew a couple of dozen geese units. Some of the coral geese are brown nosing!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:40 AM

I like the balance of the coral and aqua. I always had in the back of my mind, Bonnie's comment that the nine patches were the foundation of the quilt, and that's the way it feels to me -- the blue is the star. Although the main body of the blocks is the coral, it's the blue that jumps out at me when I look at the quilt.

I can't wait to see everyone's versions as they take shape!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
Hmmm, definitely surprised and not loving coral being the dominant color. I'm not even really inspired that much by the design. Time to get creative.
I am thinking of leaving out the diagonals and just using rectangles with the cornerstones. It will make it a little less busy.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I am thinking of omitting the sashing and using the half chevrons in a border. I think by omitting the sashing, it won't look so pink and it will bring the aqua out more. I think I need to set up my design wall soon!
I have the rectangles mostly cut but haven't started on the chevrons. That's why I'm thinking of not doing the chevron corners.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I'll be anxious to see your ideas!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I love all the alternate ideas. It's going to be fun to see everyone personalize theirs. It may even help everyone finish faster, because we'll want to be sharing what we come up with! All good.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:04 AM

Oh my, I feel so behind with the last 3 days additions. I did enough of Clue 7 & 8 to put together one block - not sewn. I am going to have to go back to Clue 5 and finish another 100 of them, then do all the rest. Yikes! Looks like I will be sewing on this quilt for some time! I do like the finish, and like others here, wish it had more of the blue in it. It is always fun to do this one big quilt a year, as the others I complete are table runners and lap quilts. I do like that it is not square. I still have last years quilt on my other machine to finish quilting. It has been sitting for some time without being touched! I plan to spend today sewing!

I had our daughters and their children over yesterday for a soup dinner. It is the anniversary of one of our son's death, so we always get together. Such a nice day with family, but I am tired from all the prepping. And also now I have to put all the Christmas decorations away too. So much to do, so little time to do it all. It does not help that I am getting older. I use to have so much energy!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM

I agree it will be interesting to see other's variations. I like the quilt just surprised about the turquoise so my quilt will be a little more purple then I originally thought.

I like to do at least one complicated quilt a year and it's usually Bonnie's mystery I just finished clue 7. I am going to 'kit' up the 49 blocks I need for clue 8 and start working as I don't want this to become a ufo.

Last edited by Pagzz; 01-01-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spacing