Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM

JaneQuilter, It's not mine, it's an example that I liked when I was looking on Facebook.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Here is my finished version of the mystery quilt. I didn't care for the parallel units and omitted them, hopefully I will find a use for them in another project. The finish is simple but I am satisfied with it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]587119[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mvc-025s.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 AM

Chessehead, that is splendid! I really like it! It looks calming and orderly. Im making my blocks the same, with the shaded four patches flipped around and I have been wondering what it would look like in a straight setting with no sashing... Now I know and I like it!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Oh, no! I'm thinking of changing my setting again!

I've cut some darker blues at 2 1/2", just to get an idea. I think it would need to be a very deep shade, and I would make the strips thinner. I guess then I would have to go darker with the setting triangles, also? I like the way the blocks stand out when surrounded by dark. I could possibly put my clue 3s to use in a border. I haven't sewn the end to end yet.

Cheesehead, that is lovely. Congrats on finishing! I hope to finish up my last 10 blocks today.
Attached Thumbnails img_1310_fotor.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Nice finish Cheesehead. I'm thinking mine will look very similar. I may not put the sashing in the middle either. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa: decisions, decisions,... it's so hard to decide how to set these wonderful blocks. I do like the deep shade of blue.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM

D.Henson- nice looking block and sashing

Cheesehead- I like that a lot--your choice of colors really shows off the blocks and the secondary patterns created with the setting you chose! I'm also toying with the idea of putting mine together without the sashing, if I ever get the blocks finished LOL

Lisa- these blocks are so versatile it really is hard to decide on a setting. I like the deep blue, and I think your idea of making the strips thinner would work well.

Rob
Old 01-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Cheesehead - your straight layout looks great!
Joe's Mom - Each layout you've tried looks good in different ways. I am zero help making decisions - it took me forever to decide how to finish.

In the end I went with Bonnie's layout but instead of piecing the setting triangles I used a constant fabric and cut 5" strips (then just used a ruler w/a 45º angle so I could sew the pieced brown unit). I am still planning to do some version of Ringo Lake in citrus color solids but will definitely de-lumpify some of the units.

I kind of wish I would have finished like this one I saw on FB but didn't see it until I was well under way. (hopefully the link will work)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1212211322244140&set=gm.10329371335 22254&type=3&theater&ifg=1

A weekend spent sewing and pressing twisted, lumpy seams into submission, my top is finished and I am glad. I hope to have it quilted by next weekend so I can start something with very large pieces.
I would *love* to see the back of one of Bonnie's quilts. Mine back is a hot mess; I know no one sees it but lumps like this that make me want to use a poly batting to absorb the lumpiness.

I like the Mystery process - picking fabrics, trying to solve the mystery layout before the reveal, and especially seeing everyone's versions - so much creative cleverness.
This is the 3rd year I've done her mystery and, for some reason this one wore me out.
I don't remember En Provence or Allietare having so many seams fighting each other. I might change my mind in November but I am thinking of sitting the next one out. I will probably download all the Clues though - just in case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587142[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails post.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful finish, Cheesehead....

joe's mom, I really like that darker turquoise you found.

Amy, yours looks great too with the constant blue you used.

Lots of quilts are coming together.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM

Wow, everyone's On Ringo Lake looks fantastic. Anyway, turtle brigade here ..... lol ..... I just finished clue 5, 200 of the brown flying geese and I have put together 40 of clue 6.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by AmyBible View Post
I might change my mind in November but I am thinking of sitting the next one out. I will probably download all the Clues.
That's what I told myself the last three mysteries, but here I am.