Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 AM

NZ Quilter, I too would prefer to have more aqua in the blocks. Since I haven't made my Block 6 yet, I am thinking of substituting the coral with teal. Just not sure how that will affect the overall appearance of the blocks. Will have to do some experimenting.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post

I had our daughters and their children over yesterday for a soup dinner. It is the anniversary of one of our son's death, so we always get together.
(((JeanieG)))
Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Hugs to you, JeanieG!

I like the reveal, I think it's a clever design, very Bonnie Hunterish. One of the reasons I like her... what? Artistry?

I don't know what happened to the aqua. I over bought, that's for sure. Will try to use more of it in the border.

So, looking forward to seeing what you all do with yours, especially the alternates.

Time for this turtle to get to work. I am so far behind it's a bit discouraging, but hey, it's a new year.

Happy New Year, Quiltingboard friends!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:36 PM

I think this one is a bit different then the usual BH quilts. I think most of the one's I have seen have really looked great from a distance but lost something close up. This one I think looks almost muttled from a distance but closer in you see the tertiary designs better. My coral was my show stopper fabric, so even though it has much more "coral" then I thought it works out well for me. I am still pretty sure I am going to use my way different layout. I don't mind on point at all, it is just I had plans for a specific QAYG idea that incorporated the back and front together that I could do on point but would make my life more difficult.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:47 PM

I agree there, Kass, it looks like of muted. I am having a hard time seeing what the pieced sashing brings to the table. Maybe just solid coral, or aqua, sashing would help it.

Edited to add: Maybe the pieced sashing is supposed to look like ribbons circling the blocks? I can kind of see that. Ummmm, what would they look like in blue then? As you can see, I'm not ready to put this one together!

Last edited by NZquilter; 01-01-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:01 PM

Yikes! So much to do to get this one done. I have it done through clue 7 and I sewed 4 blocks together of clue 8. So thankful that I only need to make 25 rather than the 50. My blocks are coming out a little smaller than the 9.5" so I'll have to be careful putting the top together. I like the reveal but it looks like a lot of work to get it put together with the sashing and setting triangles. On point is not my favorite setting but it does look interesting.

Love seeing your blocks. Fabulous!! choices in fabrics and colors.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Okay, I think know what I'm going to do I flipped the clue 5/7 units around on the Folded corners blocks. I'll piece my sashing to make the coral triangles and the brown corner square on the sashing look like a secondary pattern of the monkey wrench quilt pattern. In the photo my sashing isn't pieced yet, but I'll sew a coral 2" x2" square on each end of a 2" x6.5" blue ( or white, I haven't decide yet) strip. I hope that will make it look more like a blue and pink quilt, with brown accents.

What do you all think? The thing I love about Bonnie's mysteries is taking her pattern and personalizing it. Kind of like taking a cake recipe and adding chocolate I love Bonnie's too, please don't get me wrong!

Oops! Forgot to say, I'll use the chevrons as a pieced border too!
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by NZquilter; 01-01-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:22 PM

NZQuilter - I like the idea of incorporating aqua in the sashing but I think you should add another block layout to complete the larger coral triangle corner (either at the top/center or bottom left) so that you can see how the larger corals intersecting will look overall. I'm sure it will be beautiful but am thinking it may change the bus-i-ness or scrappy look of the layout. JMHO

Add/edit: I am certain it will look beautiful however you decide just tossing my novice thought out

Christine

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 01-01-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:26 PM

NZQuilter, I like the block with the corners reversed-- it's also very nice! It seems to make the neutral stars stand out more. I think the introduction of a contrast color for the sashing is lovely. A person really has to love their coral prints to want to see so much of them on the top of the bed. Well said about wondering what the pieced sashing brings to the table-- I thought it was hard to decide about that question too.

I think the blue setting triangles would get lost in my bedroom, as my bed is in the corner, square to the door, the room is small, and basically I can only view one border-- so I think BH's pattern would feel quite monochromatic here.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:36 PM

My immediate reaction to the reveal was not the dominance of coral within the quilt pattern as much as my eyes were not pleased with the larger aqua outer edge pieces. Surely, if there was more agua within the quilt pattern itself then the contrast wouldn't be so stark. Regardless, I do like the actual blocks/sashing/corners and how the pattern is very dynamic vs clear rows/columns. Love everyone's sharing of thoughts and ideas on how to alter the layout to suit themselves. Will be watching all of the experts here before putting this one together.. It won't be soon anyway as I still have 49 blocks to complete

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 01-01-2018 at 02:42 PM.