Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-09-2017, 02:34 PM

I love the grunge fabrics! For the longest time I ignored them, because the name was so unappealing, LOL. There should be lots of variation block to block.

I agree with Krista. I think that much of the green might be overbearing, whereas navy functions more as a neutral, like the brown. And I also prefer the golds switched.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM

To make things more complicated I have a second neutral to choose from.This is the first one[ATTACH=CONFIG]583595[/ATTACH]it is very light beige the second one[ATTACH=CONFIG]583597[/ATTACH] is a light tan color. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails 20171109_143450.jpg   20171109_122824.jpg   20171109_143423.jpg  

Last edited by Windblown; 11-09-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:33 PM

I can't see any difference. This is just my suggestion, but you can throw it out the window if you want to: If you have two blues, the aqua and the navy, then I'd stick with a whiter neutral rather than a beige. I think the blues make the beige look dirty. Ask Joe's Mom. She is much better at color.

Marcia
Old 11-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Love your grunges, Windblown! My favorite is your very first photo combo... with the navy and the darker gold and whiter neutral. Looks like you are going to get as many opinions as there are bellybuttons out here! The navy is definitely a winner for your 'dark' contrast.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Kristijoy, have a wonderful birthday tomorrow and enjoy playing with your new fabrics.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM

Windblown, I can't tell much difference between the two neutrals -- they both look grayish to me. Maybe try taking a photo in better light tomorrow?

I am halfway through cutting a triple Irish chain, and hoping I can get those strip sets sewn before the first mystery clue. I started pressing my mystery fabrics today. I'm scraping the bottom of the neutrals barrel with this mystery, and must remember to buy neutrals whenever I shop for fabric next year.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
If this helps, here are the clues I go off to see if a MQ will work for me. Firstly, the color with the most yardage will of course be the main color of the quilt; so if you hate aqua/turquoise, you might want to change the color. Then I look at how much yardage Bonnie calls for her neutrals, as that is the balancing fabric. In order for myself to join in a MQ, I have made it a "rule" for myself that the neutral fabric must have the highest yardage. With GI, if I'm not mistakened, didn't call for much neutral at all. I didn't do it because I was dubious of the yardage and colors. With "On Ringo Lake" Bonnie is saying over 5 yards of neutral, and all her other colors play together well on the color wheel too. I am thinking it will be a winner just based off these tips. And if I don't like it, I'll just give it away . Hopefully you join us!

Thank you for the excellent advice. The only Bonnie quilt I tried but didn't like was Grand Illusion. I was skeptical of the colors going in and coming out I still didn't like the pink and turquoise especially with the yellows/greens. I tried to analyze her colors last year and though it isn't finished I am very happy my En Provence.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:39 AM

Happy Birthday Kristi!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 AM

Happy Birthday Kristi from beautiful sunny Florida

i think I have decided to do this MQ half sized. I might get it quilted sooner rather than it ending up in the UFO pile. The thought of trying to quilt the previous MQs on my domestic is rather daunting. My UFO's have become fast friends since they spend all their time together. Would hate to break up such good friends. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 AM

Happy Birthday Krista - from cold, windy South Dakota

Windblown - I'm also a big fan of grunge fabric. I find it too hard to deal with in pictures because of all the different hues in the fabric - just can't tell on screen.