Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Christmas Goose >

Christmas Goose

Christmas Goose

Old 12-09-2021, 07:34 AM

The modern toaster ovens are pretty amazing, this one also has the convection fan. I can fit a pretty large oblong pan in there. No sheets of cookies or loaves of bread though! Sometimes it is good to be low carb.

There are some differences and there are times when there are some distinct advantages and I believe I will continue to have one even after I have an oven again. For one, I would just take it outside in the summer, set it up on a cooler with a large cutting board for a surface, plug into the outside outlet and could bake things without heating up the inside of the house.

I've found that I prefer doing some things on top the stove, like pot roast I'd rather simmer than bake. Same thing with corned beef (one of the hubby's favorites). LOL meatloaf though -- that's probably best in the toaster oven.

I also prefer to do some things out on the grill. I like playing with fire and charcoal, gas would be convenient but we go the charcoal route. I always prefer to do my leg of lamb on the grill. Sometimes we will do just a small portion of something on the grill, but often we will cook ahead for several meals. So maybe we would be having steak that night but also cooking pork spare ribs or burgers for the next day. You can even do take home/you cook pizzas -- lovely crust.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:55 AM

We are planning our Family Christmas menu, and are looking at either prime rib and goose, or steaks and king crab legs. We love doing big feasts for our get togethers. We did the traditional feast for Thanksgiving, so looking for a nice change for Christmas. It's been awhile since we've done goose....mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Old 12-10-2021, 07:29 PM

I’m a Midwest farm kid and my Aunt, Grandma and Mother all raised geese and ducks so we ate them for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years every year. Stuffed with bread stuffing and oven roasted. Oh my, did the house smell good. Leftovers were set out in the cold porch for the next day. Those good cooks are all gone now but my cousin and I take turns roasting a duck and eat together around New Years for old times sake. I start it out in a 400 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes then lower to 325 or 350 until done. I strive to get a deep brown crispy skin so I uncover some of the time. Now I’m hungry.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:42 AM

Would this happen to be the recipe you used years ago?

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...Roasted-Goose/
Old 12-11-2021, 11:26 AM

Never tried "Roasted Goose". Is it like duck, in that it is mostly dark meat? My first thought for finding one was that they are on the golf courses around here. They stay all winter. Not that I am a hunter, I would prefer one from the grocery store. Don't think I have ever seen one frozen. I'll have to look.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Would this happen to be the recipe you used years ago?

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recip...Roasted-Goose/
OMG! I think that's it!!! Thank you!

Now...to find a goose.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Never tried "Roasted Goose". Is it like duck, in that it is mostly dark meat? My first thought for finding one was that they are on the golf courses around here. They stay all winter. Not that I am a hunter, I would prefer one from the grocery store. Don't think I have ever seen one frozen. I'll have to look.
Goose is similar to duck, a dark meat, and "greasy", but it is wonderfully moist. They are not the golf course variety! We often see them frozen in the grocery stores, more so around Christmas. The butcher shops around the area also usually have them. They do tend to be pricey, but for us, worth the price.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:22 AM

Every evening after supper, I would read a chapter or two to our 3 children. We were on the "Little House on the Prairie" books and each time a food was mentioned that they had never eaten, we would make it. The goose was one of those so we got a frozen one and tried it. I had never cooked one before and this was pre-you tube days so I was basically without good information or videos to show us what to do. My mother had never cooked one either so my phone call to her didn't help. I'm sure it was my fault when the final decision from everyone was to never have goose again. And we never have.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
All the meat is dark. Stores sell domestic duck, not wild duck. I’ve never eaten wild duck, nor do I want to.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:06 AM

Thanks Anniedeb, I have always wondered if it was similar. Sounds like it is. I thought my husband who's family was from PA would have tried it.

Tranum, Being in the South, I've only had wild duck. Not worth it in my opinion almost all dark meat. Duck hunters always have to be out early on our coldest, wettest, bone chilling day.