Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Christmas/Holiday Cookie Recipes from other countries (not USA as we have a thread for that one) >

Christmas/Holiday Cookie Recipes from other countries (not USA as we have a thread for that one)

Christmas/Holiday Cookie Recipes from other countries (not USA as we have a thread for that one)

Old 10-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Yeah! Forgot about these. My Mom and I used to make them when I was growing up. Instead of using a tin, we cut circles out, maybe using a cup, and placed them on a cookie sheet. We then put a small amount of jam on one side and then folded the circle over in half. We then sealed the edges with fork tines. It was a great cookie. My Mom might have used a sugar cookie recipe.

Originally Posted by wanabquilter
I don't know if this counts as a cookie. My mother in-law is from England and makes jam tarts

English Jam Tarts

1) Make a pie crust roll out cut round circuls and place in small cup cake tin or tart tin (she had tart tins I idea where to buy except in England)Place a teaspoon of jam into each center of cup DO NOT OVER FILL bake about 10 minutes crust will brown to golden color and jam will be bubbly,(jam will not taste good burned) careful not to burn self. These go really fast. Stella my mother in-law always used strawberrie jam,

2) For a change she would make a yallow cake mix and top off a teaspoon of cake mix on top of the jam before placing in the oven.

Honestly I can not remember how long they cook for I think I usually burn the first batch.lol and then adapt time from there.
I think we bake these at about 350
:-D
Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm from USA but here is a family recipe that my great grandmother brought over from Germany. it makes a thin cracker type cookies that is lightly spiced.

2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 lb butter
1/ tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 TBSP cinnamon
1/4 TBSP nutmeg
1 egg slightly beaten
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/2 cup fruit juice, cider or strong coffee

cream butter and sugar. add spices. add flour and liquid ingredients alternately.

best to refrigerate over night.

flour rolling surface.
roll VERY thin. the thinner the better. (at least 1/8th- 1/16th") small cookie cutters work best. the first couple of times you roll out the dough it might stick a little in spots. just roll out and try again. ( I always take a small portion of dough to begin with, then add some fresh dough with each rolling)

Bake at 350- until edges are lightly browned. usually only 5-8 mins for small cookies. makes 100-150 cookies

Our family usually makes these around the end of November. then puts them in an air tight container to flavor- then brings them out for the holidays. (Make sure you hide container GOOD or it will be empty come Christmas.

Our whole family gets together still to make these. It makes for a great Christmas tradition.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM

I am now living in the US, but am Canadian, so here's a recipe from BC...named for the town where it originated!!

Nanaimo Bars

1st layer:

1/2 C butter 2 C. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 C Wh. sugar 1 C. Coconut
5 TBSP cocoa 1/2 C. chopped pecans
1 tsp Vanilla
1 egg

Mix left column in top of double boiler. Set over base and stir until thick. Mix in rest of ingred. and press into a 9" square pan.

2nd layer:

1/4 C. Butter 3 TBSP milk
2 TBSP Vanilla custard powder. (Byrds' works best.)
2 C. icing sugar

Cream butter with milk which has been mixed with custard powder. Blend in icing sugar. Spread over base layer. Chill about 15 minutes.

Melt 4 squares semisweet chocolate and 1 TBSP butter. Drizzle over icing and spread to cover.

Refrigerate. Cut into bars before chocolate gets too set.

Enjoy!!

Patti
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Here's a recipe my grandmother brought to Canada from England about 1905.

Ginger Cookies

1 C. Sugar 2 1/2 C. Flour
1 C. Butter 2 tsp. B.P
1 C. Rogers golden syrup (Lyle's also works)
> 2 tsp Ginger

Cream butter and sugar. Add syrup. Sift dry ingred. together and add to mixture. (If dough is too stiff, add a few drops of milk.)

Chill. Roll into small balls and press with a fork.

Bake @ 325 F about 12 minutes.

Makes LOTS!!!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a syrup in the US that will work with this recipe, so maybe you will need to find a buddy in Canada or England to send you some Rogers, (Canada) or Lyles' (Canada and/or England)

Patti
Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Google Goddess

Thanks for the recipes, keep them coming, will be fun to bake cookies from all over the world.

We love to eat!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Posted this on the US cookie recipes topic:

From the 51st "State"

Basler Brunsli:
Mix
1 cup of ground almonds
1 cup of sugar
a bit cinnemon
and two tablespoons of flour.
Add two stiff eggwhite and 100 gramm (3.5 oz I think) of melted dark (swiss)chocolate.

Cool the dough a couple of hours and then roll out (on top of ground almonds to avoid sticking) about 3/8 of an inch, cut cookies out and let them dry over night. (We like flowershaped cookie cutters, avoid points)
Bake at high temperature for 5 min. 480F

HEAVENLY...........only 700 cal per bite
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by granny_59
Posted this on the US cookie recipes topic:

From the 51st "State"

Basler Brunsli:
Mix
1 cup of ground almonds
1 cup of sugar
a bit cinnemon
and two tablespoons of flour.
Add two stiff eggwhite and 100 gramm (3.5 oz I think) of melted dark (swiss)chocolate.

Cool the dough a couple of hours and then roll out (on top of ground almonds to avoid sticking) about 3/8 of an inch, cut cookies out and let them dry over night. (We like flowershaped cookie cutters, avoid points)
Bake at high temperature for 5 min. 480F

HEAVENLY...........only 700 cal per bite
Oh Good! :thumbup: 725 cal per bite would have been too much!

Thank you for the recipe, it looks delicious.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:02 PM

When I see cookies I become a Cookie Monster!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM

what a great ideal , ready to hear from our other country friends more recipes please
HUGS dora
Old 10-13-2010, 01:24 AM

Here you go all our USA sisters. Traditional Aussie cookie fare for you to try. Anzac stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (I think)
Anzac Biscuits
Traditional biscuits baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I, packed in food parcels, and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
125g (4oz) butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 300F (150C)

Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together.
Melt syrup and butter together.
Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter and syrup.
Add to dry ingredients.
Place 1 tablespoonfuls of mixture on greased tray (allow room for spreading).
Bake for 20 minutes.
Loosen while warm, cool on trays.
(makes about 35)