Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Drinkers, let's chat about coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I dearly love coffee and used to work for Seattle's Best Coffee. And, yes, I know that they and Starbucks are linked. I don't like Starbucks hot coffee. I find all of it just a bit too bitter for my taste. I love the Seattle's Best lighter roasts. I love flavored coffees. But, not heavy on the sweetness. Just enough to get the flavor and a hint of sweetness.

But, alas, I can't drink coffee anymore. Or at least not more then once in a blue, blue moon. It gives me instantaneous acid reflux. It really stinks. Because I would choose to drink coffee over almost anything else. I like it hot or cold.

And, I have to agree. Once you go with brewed coffee, you never go back. It is a major different taste.

I can drink Iced coffee in teeny doses once in awhile. (But, not often.) I don't mind the Starbucks iced coffee that I have found at Walmart in the cold section. I do buy it occasionally.

I can't drink black teas for the same reason. Bad acid reflux.

It reduces me down to herbal teas. I can't drink green tea because it elevates my heart rate too much. *I liked that too. During cool weather, I buy an herbal blueberry tea. And, I really like that one. The trade off is that herbal teas give me dry mouth. So, everything in moderation. And, drink lots of water. lol, yeah, I know I'm a mess. But, for the most part, a happy mess.
    I have chronic GERD & LPR. So no caffeine or I pay for it big time. Caffeine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter, which allows acid to flow up. You could try the decaf coffee or teas. I know not as good, but better than nothing.

Coffee! The elixir of life - for me! French Roast... freshly ground... preferably percolated or french press but drip is okay too. If not coffee than it's any type of tea, hot or cold. Other than that, just water for me, thank you. No special flavors just half & half with a touch of stevia and I'm very happy

I remember Sanka and Tasters Choice at grandma's when I was a young girl. Tasted great then but I haven't had it in decades.
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

My journey started with Folgers Instant and then I got a coffee maker and started brewing coffee (Folgers). No more instant coffee for me. Then someone suggested my husband we should try Costco brand of ground coffee and Folgers was gone. The next evolution was to buying the roasted beans and grinding myself, no more buying ground coffee. Then my manager told me about roasting your own coffee and now I buy green coffee beans online and roast my own at home, I usually roast enough for a week at a time with my small roaster. One plus to this was that the acid reflux my husband suffered was gone. I love going to my favorite website for beans and reading about the different beans and flavors that the beans will produce and you can actually taste the difference. Roasting allows me to get the roast that I want whether it be light, medium or full roast. I roast outside because you are roasting and there is smoke from the process; in the winter I usually buy Starbucks whole beans because it the temperature outside (cold) makes it hard to get a good consistent roast. Guess I am a picky coffee junkie, can't believe that I ever drank instant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    I don't know how anyone can enjoy instant coffee. Sorry, instant coffee drinkers!

I only have one cup of coffee in the morning and it is Dunkin' Donuts brand. I use a lot of sugar and milk (cream) so I always say I'm having a little coffee with my milk and sugar. My mom used to warm milk, add a little sugar and then pour brewed coffee into the milk. It was a beige color. She called it French Coffee. Guess that's why I use so much milk in mine to this day.
    This brings back memories, my mom did the same thing for us for breakfast to dunk our toast into.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I am a coffee drinker, or sipper, as my DH calls it. I like to sit, sip and enjoy my coffee. Not a coffee snob, just regular coffee, not flavored either, except for my added splenda and dash of french vanilla cream! I love the smell of coffee. On the other hand, I cannot stand tea. Both the taste and smell turn me off! I think it stems from my childhood, when my grandmother would give us milk tea!

I took gourmet catering cooking classes decades ago and learned to make the best for restaurant room service for the VIP guests. The secret is add salt to the coffee before brewing. 1/4 teaspoon for a large pot. At home I use Cafe Bustelo brewed with a dash of salt in a French Press. I don't grind my own beans like I was taught or use super duper water at precise temp. LOL I like to have my two cups of morning coffee and drink tea the rest of the day. I like chocolate or regular milk with my meals. Most of my friends drink wine, I can't stand the stuff.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Last year at this time I had to go no caffeine at all for 6-9 months to prove to my sleep doctor that it didn't impact my sleep. Since then I've changed sleep doctors, this one says just cut off before noon. I haven't had caffeine after noon for decades. Mostly I'm a tea drinker but I've always liked what I call "golden" coffees, like Kona and Costa Rican. Although I've lived in Seattle since before the original Starbucks, I've always found their blends to be oily and over roasted.

I really like my tea English style, strong and I prefer milk and sugar. While I used to drink hot tea straight (and still drink iced tea without anything), I started adding milk in my 20s because I wanted more dairy in my diet and now it's an acquired taste. Unfortunately, my diabetes now doesn't allow sugar, and my intestines don't like artificial sweeteners at all, and I find the tea with milk rather insipid...

On the other hand, coffee with milk and no sugar is just fine with me! But here's the big confession, I'm drinking Tasters Choice instant I buy at Costco because I have no counter space for a coffee pot and the 2 big mugs I drink each day aren't worth the counter space.

You know how Sheldon on the Big Bang offers a hot beverage? That's what my instant coffee is, a hot coffee flavored beverage with milk.

I love coffee. I usually brew mine using a French press. I prefer a medium roast whole bean coffee that I grind. If I am using instant, I go to Costco and buy the individual Starbucks instant coffee.

I brew an 8 cup pot that I drink myself; either half and half or decaf; I try not to drink caffeine after 1:00 or so or I'd never go to sleep at night. Never used to bother me but as I've aged welll... Like mine with powdered creamer and hershey's chocolate/caramel creamer. I used to drink a Lot of soda too but now it's a root beer when I go out to dinner which is maybe a couple times a month with friends. And i get gift cards for my Birthday and Christmas so I get a SB about once every 3 weeks when I go to the grocery. My treat and try to make it last til the next year of birthday and Christmas gift cards.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-01-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I love coffee but only before 10:00 a.m. First cup in the morning is served to me in bed by DH. Since we retired, he's makes us coffee to drink in bed while we watch the news. We have a Keurig. I like cream and sugar in mine but to make it easier for DH, I have French Vanilla creamer for him to use. I usually have one cup of regular and one of decaf. Also, drink tea sometime. My mother was English. Grew up drinking both.

I love coffee! But I only drink it first thing in the morning. We go out for coffee about 4 or 5 times a week, to various local coffee shops. Most of the coffee shop coffees are not that good,in my opinion. The coffee is either too weak (for me) or just doesn’t taste all that good. There’s one shop that serves Kona and that’s really good. My husband loves “going out for coffee.” There’s something fun about having a pastry or scone, having coffee, and looking at the newspaper. When we have coffee at home, french roast (strong) is my favorite.

it’s funny that all almost 40 years of working, I rarely drank coffee
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I dearly love coffee and used to work for Seattle's Best Coffee. And, yes, I know that they and Starbucks are linked. I don't like Starbucks hot coffee. I find all of it just a bit too bitter for my taste. I love the Seattle's Best lighter roasts. I love flavored coffees. But, not heavy on the sweetness. Just enough to get the flavor and a hint of sweetness.

But, alas, I can't drink coffee anymore. Or at least not more then once in a blue, blue moon. It gives me instantaneous acid reflux. It really stinks. Because I would choose to drink coffee over almost anything else. I like it hot or cold.

And, I have to agree. Once you go with brewed coffee, you never go back. It is a major different taste.

I can drink Iced coffee in teeny doses once in awhile. (But, not often.) I don't mind the Starbucks iced coffee that I have found at Walmart in the cold section. I do buy it occasionally.

I can't drink black teas for the same reason. Bad acid reflux.

It reduces me down to herbal teas. I can't drink green tea because it elevates my heart rate too much. *I liked that too. During cool weather, I buy an herbal blueberry tea. And, I really like that one. The trade off is that herbal teas give me dry mouth. So, everything in moderation. And, drink lots of water. lol, yeah, I know I'm a mess. But, for the most part, a happy mess.
    dang gf, you sound just like me! nobody around here sounds like me.
    (yeah, medically speaking, I'm a mess too! intolerant of everything!)
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Oh I love coffee, especially the smell of it. But I only drink one large travel mug per day in the AM. About the equivalent of two cups. Occasionally on a special occasion out to eat, I will have a cup with dessert but it definitely impedes my sleep so usually just my one large cup in the morning. I don't like instant coffee but keep some instant espresso powder on hand in case of emergency and also to use in baking. I have a drip coffee maker but have had coffee made in a french press and it is very good but not so good that I will go out and get one. I buy preground but will grind my own beans when I get the fancy stuff.

I do love really good coffee but for everyday I usually just buy a store brand Columbian coffee mixed with a flavored coffee. But when I want something special, I head to the local roasters and get some really nice stuff like an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or Sumatra Mandheling. Hawaiian Kona coffee is also very nice. I used to work with a computer engineer who was a real aficionado and he introduced me to the Ethiopian and Sumatran varieties.

I also enjoy flavored coffees. Not the kind with syrups added, the ones where the beans themselves are flavored. I like hazelnut, Vanilla, and Caramel flavors. I don't like my coffee sweet unless it is coffee ice cream. Just a splash of milk and I am good to go.

I too find Starbucks less than satisfactory. I like strong coffee but theirs just tastes burnt and bitter.

Love my coffee! any time of the day! cold, warm, but prefer hot! I use Morning Slammer from the Roastere' in Boise, ID. Buy the whole bean bag and have it Turkish grind-ed. It's so fine that we use a drip coffee maker and use half of store brand amounts. Heavenly!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Coffee please! First cup in the morning makes me smile. Second cup does the same thing. I prefer Folgers ground coffee. Classic Roast. Drip coffee maker is less expensive for us so that's what we chose. Tea in the afternoon and non caffeinated herbal tea at night. Love the ritual of holding a hot cuppa.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I love my coffee. Drip, two in the morning, New England brand, breakfast blend with SF french vanilla flavoring. Then one more mid AM at work, I only work four days a week, on my days off, no mid AM coffee. Used to perk our coffee every AM, but DH stopped drinking coffee, so it's just as easy to use a coffee maker.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    I use a lot of sugar and milk (cream) so I always say I'm having a little coffee with my milk and sugar. My mom used to warm milk, add a little sugar and then pour brewed coffee into the milk. It was a beige color. She called it French Coffee. Guess that's why I use so much milk in mine to this day.
    In the Netherlands they drink "coffee verkeerd" (sp?) - it means "wrong (or backwards) coffee" - milk with coffee added in. I love it.

I remember drinking black coffee at my 1st job in Florida, all day long as I worked in an office. When I changed jobs I quit drinking it as I didn't have a coffee pot at home. Then my last job was a midnight shift but drank mostly tea......iced in the summer and hot in the winter. Occasionally one of the gals would offer to pick up some coffee for me from Starbucks. Had one of their lattas and it kept me up for 36 hrs. Never again would I drink their coffee. When I retired it was tea again as I still didn't have a coffee pot plus my beau didn't drink coffee either.

When I moved up to Iowa where my family lived I stayed with my sister while looking for another house. She's a coffee drinker so got started on coffee again. When I got my own house I started getting Gevalia's flavored coffee and got a free coffee pot from them. My 2 1st coffee pots came from them as gifts and I'm still using the 2nd one but have another new coffee pot in the closet in case this one dies. Anyway I add 1 scoop of their flavored coffee to 2 scoops of regular coffee so its not too foofoo for anyone else that might stop by.....especially the guys. Gevalia has discontined most of their flavored coffees I like so have stopped ordering from them but have tried some from the grocery stores made by Dunkin Donuts. I now only drink 1 tall cup of coffee a day as my hands shake enough without help from the caffeine.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    In the Netherlands they drink "coffee verkeerd" (sp?) - it means "wrong (or backwards) coffee" - milk with coffee added in. I love it.
    https://www.thedutchtable.com/2014/1...-verkeerd.html

I am a Coffee Hound and have been since I was a child. Now we brew in a Keurig so it is always a freshly brewed cup, and I prefer a medium roast Columbian--just black. I do not wish to "corrupt" my coffee. I do not enjoy flavored coffees, and I drink coffee sporadically--usually 4-6 cups a day from morning until about 8 PM. Current research supports the theory that coffee in moderation is actually good for people. I would prefer to just do without the coffee than to drink instant. The only exception to that would be the instant individual packets from Starbucks, but that is still a substitute for "the real thing." Coffee is one of the pleasures of my life.

I am 62 and remember growing up, instant coffee was a lot more prevalent. I never have it now. A small French press (about 1.5 cups) in the morning and then a cup of black tea around 10-11. Gotta have good coffee, nothing from a plastic canister, lol!! There are two kinds, Robusta and Arabica. Arabica is the better coffee - Robusta depends on heavy roasting to give it flavor.

And the same with tea - no American brands - gotta be PG Tips, Barry's, or something similar. Lipton etc just taste like hot water to me.

Other than that I make unsweet iced tea with green tea and herb tea, to drink with meals.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I'm a diet Dr. Pepper girl. I will drink coffee occasionally, but not as a regular thing. I'd like to kick the Dr. Pepper habit, but the caffeine has me hooked.
    You need to kick that Dr. Pepper habit! It's really bad for you. Go for less each day. Then, if you wish, coffee can take its place. That has caffeine, too, but not the sugar and other chemicals. I wish you luck.

I try to get in one cup of caffeinated coffee in the morning soon after I get up. Then about half an hour later, I hit the bathroom. It's called "Java to Go" or "Joe to Go". I didn't make that up. LOL Then I won't be bothered when I'm half a mile from home on my morning run.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Speaking of sugar- when I was a young adult I always put at least 2 tsp of sugar in my coffee. Slowly I weaned myself off the sugar and now can't tolerate even a grain of it in my coffee. I also don't like any kind of flavorings. Someone mentioned not liking to order it out. Same here- it's either too weak or just doesn't taste good. We used to love getting it at a popular coffee place but when my favorite barista left so did I. Nobody could make the coffee to taste the way I like it.
    Other than coffee, I'm not too fussy about things

I love coffee, all day until about 5:00, any later and it does impact my sleep. Currently McDonald's McCafe is our favorite, the only complaint is by the time the bag is half empty it's losing its best flavor (my hub complains about that, so I think he'll get a Keurig for his next birthday). Only half and half in my coffee, don't care for flavored coffees or creamers, I accidentally used some hazelnut creamer when my hub was in the hospital and my mouth thought it was gonna die. lol

I love the McCafe breakfast blend. I am actually surprised the spouse likes it. He is retired military and (bleh) can drink his coffee from the day before... the life of a tanker!

Quote Originally Posted by geevee View Post
    I love coffee, all day until about 5:00, any later and it does impact my sleep. Currently McDonald's McCafe is our favorite, the only complaint is by the time the bag is half empty it's losing its best flavor (my hub complains about that, so I think he'll get a Keurig for his next birthday). Only half and half in my coffee, don't care for flavored coffees or creamers, I accidentally used some hazelnut creamer when my hub was in the hospital and my mouth thought it was gonna die. lol
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast