Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Drinkers, let's chat about coffee

Zozee, I am like you in that I go to bed thinking of getting up for morning coffee! I don't especially like going to bed since often I don't sleep well and actually I would rather be awake doing things I enjoy like reading, sewing, drinking morning coffee I like strong, black coffee. We have been using Folgers Columbian for sometime now. Not too strong for DH who usually makes the coffee and usually strong enough for me. I did buy the little pour over from Walmart so I can make a cup in the early afternoon. So inexpensive and it works.

Iceblossom- I hear ya!
    I have a favorite mug and that's the only one I use. Isn't it funny how particular we are about some things?

I also love my coffee - Green Mountain French Roast for me. We had a wonderful coffee maker with a Burr grinder for years but when it gave out we switched to a Keurig for the convenience. I drink coffee in the mornings and often a cup when my husband gets home in the early afternoon. It doesnít seem to affect either one of us so we drink it whenever we sounds good. During the day I drink mostly water and never learned to like the taste of soft drinks so not tempted by that at all.

I'm stuck on Kona coffee. We buy beans from Hawaii and grind them. No bitter taste at all.
    Penny

Love my Kona coffee. I grind the beans fresh and start my day. As a Texas girl I do love my Dr Pepper also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsberry921 View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to see the thoughts of others about coffee. I use to see my grandparents drink Sanka instant coffee. I dated a guy years ago who said to me that once I brewed coffee, I wouldn't go back to instant. I didn't lol! A former co-worker turned me on the flavored coffee (blueberry flavored coffee was the first one). Light and medium roasts are my preference. I enjoy hazlenut, snickerdoodle, cinammon, and pecan flavored coffees.

How about you?
    I drink mostly hot, black strong coffee. But I indulge in Cafe au Lait that I make at home. I use brown sugar in the Expresso coffee's.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-25-2019 at 03:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I Must have coffee every morning. I make a pot of good quality decaf in a drip coffeemaker the night before and turn it on as I stumble out of bed in the morning. I mix mine with hot, homemade almond milk and a little stevia. We also have a Nespresso machine and I sometimes make a double expresso in the early afternoon if I'm losing my energy and need to get some things done.

Our morning, drip coffee is usually an Organic French Roast Decaf, or something similar. I'm not a fan of Starbuck's. As for the, "good stuff," I found an Italian coffee that I recently had at a 5-star hotel called, "Lavazza." I ordered both regular ground and Nespresso pods from them online...very nice! Just like in Italy! Extremely smooth and rich. It wasn't that expensive either. It's time to order more. If you want a treat, check them out.

~ C
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-03-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I have always loved the smell of coffee, but didn't acquire a taste for it until I was in my 40's. Turns out I like "candy coffee." Cream and sugar please. Also, I think one reason I didn't like the taste for so long was that my parents and grandparents perked coffee and it was always overcooked. My preferred brand is Dunkin Donuts. We make it at home in a drip maker. We tried the Keurig but I thought it tasted different and could never adjust.

When we drink coffee out I like to try the flavors. Right now Dunkin still has the Girl Scout Cookie flavors, and I like the shortbread. I like McDonalds coffee when it's piping hot, but don't like it much when it starts to cool off. I hate the taste of Starbucks. There is a local coffee shop near our church that I love, And another one close to our house that I don't like much. I guess I'm all over the map!

I love coffee and tea! I usually drink two cups of coffee a day with half and half and sugar. DH and I use Rainforest Blend that we buy at Costco. We also love Kona but only splurge on it occasionally. I love Starbucks coffee but I understand why some folks donít care for it. From there we buy the Komodo Dragon blend. I would drink coffee all day as I am not bothered by it for sleeping but limiting to two cups minimizes my sugar. I am actually working on removing the sugar from my coffee completely. I used to have a serious soda habit and kicked it a few years ago. I feel much better not drinking liquid sugar all the time. Coffee is such an enjoyable thing to me. Itís relaxing to drink it hot, itís social as I have a friend who loves it more than I do, and itís a beverage that lies to me about how much Iím going to get done every day! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by MicheleC View Post
    ...Coffee is such an enjoyable thing to me. It’s relaxing to drink it hot, it’s social as I have a friend who loves it more than I do, and it’s a beverage that lies to me about how much I’m going to get done every day! ��
    Ha ha! Ain't that the truth. It's nice to have a good excuse to drink it anyway.

~ C

My coffee journey began when Grandma came to live with me and she would give me warm, sweet coffee poured over something like a cornmeal mush for breakfast (but only if Mom wasn't looking). Eventually I moved to just drinking percolated coffee with milk and sugar (my Mom would put egg shells in the basket with the ground coffee). I never liked instant, though I would drink it in a pinch. When we got married, we started with the percolator and then moved to a drip machine. We spent about 20 years making our own lattes in the morning (raspberry chocolate coffee in the espresso machine was our favorite when we could get it). Then gerds hit me, but I had to have my morning coffee -- I found Dunkin Doughnuts coffee caused the fewest problems and I brew both caffeinated and decaf. Then we discovered the Trader Joe's cold press for iced coffee - I add 2 ounces to an 18 ounce cup and fill the rest with milk and it doesn't seem cause me problems if I have it before noon.

I have to say that I drink my coffee with no sugar and it is a light tan -- DH likes a spash of chocolate milk in his. I normally drink decaf tea with honey in the afternoon but starting the day without caffeinated coffee is just not possible (the GI doctor sighs a lot when I tell him about my morning drink).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I Love getting up and drink a good cup of coffee lots of creamer in my cup Please ,,I to have a favorite cup to drink my coffee in So does the hubby also,,We like Maxwell House here in my neck of the woods.Love reading about other coffee drinkers,,Y'all have a Blessed evening

We are experimenting our first bag of Black Rifle Coffee. If you like a deep rich flavor, try the JB (Just Black). It's available online.

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve View Post
    We are experimenting our first bag of Black Rifle Coffee. If you like a deep rich flavor, try the JB (Just Black). It's available online.
    Ooh, the Black Rifle Coffee is good! But too expensive for us for daily use. We like to buy a bag around the winter holidays for a treat.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I found a brand called "Harmony Bay", comes in a 40 ounce bag, 100% Arabica coffee (the good stuff) and it is even cheaper than the coffee in plastic canisters. (per ounce). I always comparison shop by unit price.

Blog Entries
    I have a Keurig and enjoy dark roast coffees. My ( norm) is 2 cups in the morning. I drink it black. Iím not a fan of the flavored coffees at all. On occasion I enjoy a cappuccino, latte or mocha but they are a once in a while treat.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
    I am a coffee aficionado. Raised on strong-brewed black coffee, my adult blend is Folgers Black Silk and Bustelo Espresso in equal amounts with a dash of salt in each Keurig coffee pod filled to the max. The best, but not for the faint of heart.
    I add a flat scoop of Don Francisco Express to my regular Folgers Dark Roast in my 12 cup pot, as I like my coffee strong too. I use my stovetop ZanZibar to brew my expresso. I also have a French Press and a one cup maker too. I'm addicted. Got this tall cup from a quilting friend. She's a hoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Tucky--that cup is hilarious.

My grandpa would boil water in a sauce pan, turn the gas off, and add the coffee grounds. Strain into the cup. Best smell and taste. He would let me drink it black at 2 1/2, but my grandma would catch me, and make it more cream. She told me black coffee would stunt my growth. She was 5' 2", and I ended up being 5' 8". Good thing I drank coffee black. I'm the only one that drinks coffee, but I still prefer black. Folgers or Maxwell House medium blend..
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    My grandpa would boil water in a sauce pan, turn the gas off, and add the coffee grounds. Strain into the cup. Best smell and taste. He would let me drink it black at 2 1/2, but my grandma would catch me, and make it more cream. She told me black coffee would stunt my growth. She was 5' 2", and I ended up being 5' 8". Good thing I drank coffee black. I'm the only one that drinks coffee, but I still prefer black. Folgers or Maxwell House medium blend..
    That is a great and easy way to make coffee. My grown stepson, every few years his wife posts on FB - Oh no, coffee maker stopped working, had to run out to Dunkin Donuts this morning!! Duh, you can make it at home without a coffee maker.

I love my coffee! I would drink it all day if it didn't bother my stomach, so I limit myself to two cups in the morning... usually. I don't like flavors in the coffee... just coffee. I used to doctor it up with cream and sweetener, but during periods of dieting and/or fasting I learned to drink it black. Now I only drink it black.

I've been noticing the last few months that coffee in the morning can mess up my vocal chords. I teach morning classes and need my voice! Sometimes the coffee makes it so I have to keep clearing my throat to get any volume in my voice. Don't know why... but it's annoying.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's a coffee at Costco called Don Pablo that is less acid. My friend was going to give up coffee until I found this.
    She was having acid reflux.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

My DIL informed me that you can make your own K-cups and Nespresso pods for much cheaper and more environmentally friendly than the pre-made ones. Does anyone else do that? Tips please.

~ C

Hey Tropit, my mom bought little reusable containers that she fills with her own coffee. Then you flip the lid, toss the grounds and rinse them out. Was at Walmart recently and saw them as "tag hangers" (you know, the items hanging down vertically periodically to the shelves) in various locations, in housewares, in the coffee aisle, etc. Seemed to be priced around $5 each package which I think was just one.

But today I made some tea so I am going to excuse myself and get it now that it has steeped

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    Hey Tropit, my mom bought little reusable containers that she fills with her own coffee. Then you flip the lid, toss the grounds and rinse them out. Was at Walmart recently and saw them as "tag hangers" (you know, the items hanging down vertically periodically to the shelves) in various locations, in housewares, in the coffee aisle, etc. Seemed to be priced around $5 each package which I think was just one.

But today I made some tea so I am going to excuse myself and get it now that it has steeped
    Thanks Iceblossom! I'm going online to their site to look for them right now.

~ C

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast