Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Drinkers, let's chat about coffee

I have no counter space for a coffee pot
    A French Press doesn't have to sit on the countertop and makes great coffee. I have a small one and it makes two big mugs full. I also like Taster's Choice instant, try adding a sprinkle of salt to it before adding the hot water.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I Am a coffee lover! I freely admit it. I am a coffee "purist" - black, no cream, no sugar....but....only if it is hot. I don't like flavored coffee and "horrors of horrors" (as my coffee snob DD says), I will drink instant. DH absolutely, positively hates coffee, the smell, the taste, everything about it. I have found that I can drink instant without it bothering him, so that's what I do. I love brewed coffee (light or medium roast please), I brew in a French press, but I've become an instant gal out of respect for DH.

I also love iced coffee, extra large one cream. I am a die hard Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee drinker. All other iced coffees taste "funny" to me. Nothing wrong with them, they are just not Dunkin'. I can drink iced coffee on the coldest day of the year (I have when the temps are below zero!).

DH is a big tea drinker, but decaf only. We have been going up to New Brunswick, Canada to buy our decaf tea bags - King Cole brand. It is the best decaf tea and trust me, we've tried all the US decaf tea brands. Nothing compares to the King Cole's.

Talking about coffee and tea is making me thirsty. Too late at night for caffeine, though. Oh well...I have my morning cuppa to look forward to!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-03-2019 at 02:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Wow! I've totally loved reading all the replies!! It's been really fun! You ladies rock!!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

It is interesting to read all the opinions on coffee. I love the smell of coffee, especially fresh ground. Many, many years ago I worked near the Folgers Coffee plant, spending my lunch break walking near it. I was invigorated by the luscious smell so my afternoons went by fast preparing those old-time data cards. Nowadays I drink mostly teas but switch to coffee occasionally . . . always plain so that I can enjoy the whole taste. I especially like bookstores with coffee bars. I can spend hours there. And always coffee (with a few ice cubes) in restaurants.

I love coffee! Two cups of dark, strong coffee in the morning. No sugar, no milk - I'm a purist, too! I used to use a drip coffee maker but hated the taste of the coffee that sat on the heating element while I had my first cup so now we use keurig k-cups. Occasionally, I'll use a French Press but, quite honestly, I don't like cleaning the plunger part of it. We also have an espresso machine so I often make cappuccinos, lattes and mochas for my husband, our son and me.
    I may be considered a coffee snob.... if we go out for breakfast, I won't order a coffee if it's somewhere that I know has 'bad tasting coffee'.... I'd rather swing by Starbucks after we leave and pick up a nice grande dark roast!

Coffee? Did someone say coffee? Coffee every am ASAP! I have acid reflex so caffeine is bad for me. DH did research on the internet and found a way to make cold brew coffee. He grinds three "batches" of beans, fills 2 quart jar with water, adds the fresh grounds. Grounds soak 8-10 hours and we shake it A Lot during the day. Filters it through strainer and coffee filter at night.. we store it in a jar in the frig. To make a cup of fresh coffee: cream in the bottom of my mug, add about a half a cup of "coffee syrup" fill with water, nuke for 60 seconds...fresh coffee that's safe for me. One batch of syrup lasts about 6 days. I know sounds like a lot of work but it is so worth. Smooth tasting and safe for me to drink.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-05-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

My DNA, believe it or not, from 23andMe revealed that my fix is for more coffee than my other shared DNA relatives, although there is one cousin, from my mother's side, that is right behind me! Our beans are organic from Sprouts Farmer's Market, and I grind them fresh each morning, and brew them in my Krups, "made in Germany" coffee maker. Love, Love Love the smell of brewing coffee.

I think I inherited this love of coffee from my maternal grandmother. She told me a story once when she was a young girl, that is snowed in April, in central Texas. She said it was a cold morning, and she always helped her mother roast the green coffee beans in the oven, let them cool, then grind them and coffee was ready for her dad and the oldest two of her five older brothers. Anytime as I was growing up and spent the night upstairs in my grandparent's home, it would be the smell of the coffee, bacon frying, and the rooster crowing while the sunrise was coming in the eastern window that would be my alarm clock. Grandma always had coffee for everyone. Must have been her DNA!

I just thought to myself, not in my lifetime will I see snow in central Texas in April, but several years ago, I did see it, late in the day on Easter Eve!!

Love milk or tea; then when I was about 40 I discovered brewed coffee. The dark roast for me with a little hazelnut flavoring. Usually a pot a day.

I have been a nurse for 40 years or so and drink Starbucks Sumatra black.

When I was doing my first nursing program I would drink instant coffee but once I was on the floor and the off going shift had to make the urn of coffee starting with ice in the pot and add cold water to desired level. Back then we had Folgers or Maxwell house coffee and it was good back then. Since grad school, I want Starbucks Sumatra only. My daughters will the breakfast blend or house blend but they are just to week for me. A

About once a month on a Sunday afternoon, I might have some cream in my last cup of coffee of the day, but I have been know to go 2 or 3 months without cream.

Thanks for asking as it is interesting how we quilters navigate life with or without a legally addictive over the counter substance and I love mine. Thanks for sharing.
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve View Post
    My DNA, believe it or not, from 23andMe revealed that my fix is for more coffee than my other shared DNA relatives, although there is one cousin, from my mother's side, that is right behind me! Our beans are organic from Sprouts Farmer's Market, and I grind them fresh each morning, and brew them in my Krups, "made in Germany" coffee maker. Love, Love Love the smell of brewing coffee.

I think I inherited this love of coffee from my maternal grandmother. She told me a story once when she was a young girl, that is snowed in April, in central Texas. She said it was a cold morning, and she always helped her mother roast the green coffee beans in the oven, let them cool, then grind them and coffee was ready for her dad and the oldest two of her five older brothers. Anytime as I was growing up and spent the night upstairs in my grandparent's home, it would be the smell of the coffee, bacon frying, and the rooster crowing while the sunrise was coming in the eastern window that would be my alarm clock. Grandma always had coffee for everyone. Must have been her DNA!

I just thought to myself, not in my lifetime will I see snow in central Texas in April, but several years ago, I did see it, late in the day on Easter Eve!!
    I remember that as I live in Round Rock--I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the memory lane experience.
    Karen

DJ
    DH gets the coffee ready to perk in the evening, so it starts early and is ready when we get up in the morning. Our coffee maker grinds the beans fresh for each pot. That being said, my favorite coffee is French Press, but it takes more work, so I don't make it for myself very often, usually for an afternoon treat.

I drink both coffee and tea. However, I prefer hot fresh brewed coffee with cream in the morning. I don’t like flavor or sugar just a good coffee bean. Not Starbucks. I never have liked instant but it can work in a pinch. I always have instant espresso on hand for baking purposes.

Tea, I like Trader Joe’s for everyday and I also make loose leaf tea. I brew for black tea until it is strong and drink plain. Sometimes, I make Chai tea and add honey and milk.

Sometimes, I go out for coffee but my DH makes such good coffee that I prefer it at home.

Oh, I found a tasty flavor made by English Tea Shop brand. It is white tea with blueberry and elderflower. I make dice tea with this during the warm months. It is so refreshing and light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
    My journey started with Folgers Instant and then I got a coffee maker and started brewing coffee (Folgers). No more instant coffee for me. Then someone suggested my husband we should try Costco brand of ground coffee and Folgers was gone. The next evolution was to buying the roasted beans and grinding myself, no more buying ground coffee. Then my manager told me about roasting your own coffee and now I buy green coffee beans online and roast my own at home, I usually roast enough for a week at a time with my small roaster. One plus to this was that the acid reflux my husband suffered was gone. I love going to my favorite website for beans and reading about the different beans and flavors that the beans will produce and you can actually taste the difference. Roasting allows me to get the roast that I want whether it be light, medium or full roast. I roast outside because you are roasting and there is smoke from the process; in the winter I usually buy Starbucks whole beans because it the temperature outside (cold) makes it hard to get a good consistent roast. Guess I am a picky coffee junkie, can't believe that I ever drank instant.
    Ah, I want to come by and have a cup of your coffee!
    I'm a lifelong coffee drinker and run the gamut from instant, percolator, campfire and have landed on brewed. Sadly, I've given up caffeine but still love my morning coffee except it's now decaf. We buy our beans from Kicking Horse and grind daily for fresh taste. We also use filtered water and the two combine for great taste. Please don't add anything to my coffee, especially nothing sweet. If someone is serving me coffee that is questionable, I will add cream to make it drinkable. There is no Starbucks nearby, but if I'm in the vicinity I like a Starbucks latte if they make it decaf with Lactaid milk.
    I have a Keurig on my desk at work and use it to brew hot water for afternoon herbal tea.
    It was hard to give up caffeine but now I feel free and can function nicely without that morning fix.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I am a coffee drinker plain black brewed Dunkin Donuts Decafe; no instant for me. Also drink Earl Grey tea.
    Rumbols

How do we make coffee in my house (son and myself)? Let me count the ways...

Single cup brewer (not keurig, but can use pods or your own coffee in a filter, and brews much better, but doesn't make a big enough cup, so not used much anymore)

French press

Pour over

Turkish pot

Italian moka pot (just upgraded from a small one to a Junior Express)

Breville espresso machine

Cold brew in a quart mason jar (this is pretty much the only time I use pre-ground coffee, usually Yuban or something I found on sale)

My daily user is the espresso machine, where I make a double shot latte in basically a soup bowl with a handle (picked that up while visiting distant relatives in France). If I'm working that day/night, I'll make it in a 20 to 24 oz travel mug.

I like my coffee strong so that "additives" don't weaken it. I either get my beans from Costco (a dark roast, enjoy the ones they have from different countries), or, like Three Dog Night, I will roast my own. My brother has been roasting his for years, and invested in a nice, expensive, roaster. I haven't made the leap to "proper roasting equipment" yet, so I use a popcorn maker (the stainless steel Whirley Pop). My roasted coffee isn't as good as his yet, but I'm getting better with each batch (I started with a record of the temp I used, how long it took, lid open or closed, etc, and finally have a method I'm perfecting. Taking notes has allowed me to be more consistent.)

I came of coffee age when coffee houses were starting to become a thing in the 90s. We didn't have a Starbucks here then, but our own small, local brand hit it pretty big. Not willing to spend that kind of money on a fancy coffee, I started with just drip coffee and milk. Then, on a visit to Ireland, I discovered real cream instead of milk, and it was 10x better! (My son became a tea drinker that same trip after daily tea while we were in England). Early on, I'd had a small "espresso maker", but it was clumsy and didn't make a proper espresso, so I donated it. After our big Europe trip in 2015, my son asked if we could get a real espresso machine. I coughed up the money on a nice one, and have no regrets. We have two grinders--one on the espresso machine, and a separate one so we can grind more coarse for the other methods.

I rarely buy creamer, but do enjoy it on occasion. I made my own for years with sweetened condensed milk and cream or milk. My daily latte uses milk, coffee (double shot), and sugar. When I roast my own beans, I use about half the sugar I normally would. We almost always have cream as well, for the other methods of coffee making. I'll also buy the occasional coffee syrup when the local restaurant supply store has them on sale.

My son is a big experimenter, so we've also had coffee with cardamom seeds, or Vietnamese coffee, etc.

When we go to the Asian market "in the big city", I'll usually buy a bag of instant Vietnamese coffee, just for something different.

I usually just have one cup shortly after getting up (work a rotating shift, so sometimes that means 4 pm). If it's a really rough day/night at work, I keep some coffee pods there for the keurig (but I soak the pod for a minute first so that it will brew stronger/better coffee, because even though I use the strongest coffee pod I can find, that machine makes an incredibly weak coffee without the presoak) for a second cup.

I can't wait until my little dream house in the woods is a reality, so I can curl up on the porch in a quilt and drink my coffee on a chilly and crisp morning while enjoying my view of the trees. That's my ultimate coffee goal, no matter how I brew it.
    Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 04-06-2019 at 11:49 PM.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

My brother, the one who got me into roasting my own beans, is also the one who introduced me to different coffees. He was stationed in Japan and brought home this "weird iced coffee in a can" that was "in vending machines all over Japan"! It was years before I saw anything similar in the states, and my parents just didn't understand the concept at all. Who would want to drink pre-made coffee with milk and sugar?!
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

No instant for me! I like my coffee strong, hot and black!

No kidding, I go to bed thinking about enjoying coffee in the morning. I pretty much have worn a path from the bed to the bathroom to the coffee maker.

I prefer medium roast (because it's more caffeine that dark roast, but not as much as light). My favorite beans are from Guatemala (roasted by my son's BIL), Jamaica Blue Mountain, Kona, and Caribou. I have used many different methods for brewing--Keurig , pour over, coffee makers from cheapo to expensive. Currently I have a machine that has two options: travel mug or whole pot. Love that feature. I drink 2 cups in the morning, always with a flavored creamer (I love many varieties to keep things fun).

Instant coffee? Gag! Tastes like liquid cigarette butt.

This really has been a fun thread! This morning, while drinking my morning Joe, I thought it would be fun to share a pic of a favorite coffee mug - I'm a collector of mugs! This one was given to me by my DH

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  73.5 KB
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I am a coffee aficionado. Raised on strong-brewed black coffee, my adult blend is Folgers Black Silk and Bustelo Espresso in equal amounts with a dash of salt in each Keurig coffee pod filled to the max. The best, but not for the faint of heart.

Christine, your mug is hilarious! You have a good hubby

I followed my wife's experiments. Went from grocery store coffees to specialty stores. Canned ground through a bean grinder on the counter. Made it evey day for 20+ plus years. Loved the smells. Hated the taste. She'd have to tell me now to adjust it for new types. Alone now. I'll go down the hall at work and sniff out a good coffee sometimes. Folks who know me will let me sniff and tell me about it. New folks offer me a cup. No thanks.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Power Poster
    Coffee breath - right up there with beer and cigaret breath.

A couple of months ago I made a thread on the Off Topic section about the loss of my then favorite coffee cup. After some time and many different cups auditioned, I ended up with this one. LOL, not at all what I thought I would like we've become close coffee friends. With my vision issues I was overfilling white cups with water, and black cups would be overflowed with brewed tea or coffee, so I had already done some tests and decided that red and medium blue insides were the best for me... Orange on the inside is close enough! The freckles on his face I didn't notice until after the picture, they are the dreaded grains of instant coffee.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast