Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gammon/Apple Stock in Soup? >

Gammon/Apple Stock in Soup?

Gammon/Apple Stock in Soup?

Old 11-07-2018, 01:45 AM

Default Gammon/Apple Stock in Soup?

I have recently started cooking a gammon joint in apple juice in my slow cooker.

I’m wondering if the stock that’s left over once the gammon is cooked would be an interesting addition to soup. I have read a number of recipes for (curried) carrot and apple soup and am tempted to add my stock to that.

When I cook the gammon I simply place it in the slow cooker, pour in fresh (store bought) apple juice and 6 - 10 cloves. I cook it on high for about 4 hours then reduce to medium for another 4 hours. The apple juice and cloves give the gammon a subtle flavour but it’s not overpowering and the meat is moist and tender.

Love homemade soup!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

I also love soup but find that the juice is usually too salty to use for soup stock. You will need to taste test it first .
Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I had to look up what gammon was! I had never heard that term before. I too will cook a ham in the crock pot but only the hams I get from the pig that I buy from the local farmer. The processor does a wonderful job smoking them and they aren't near as salty as commercial prepared hams. But they are a little dryer and the crockpot helps that. I toss mine in with a can of sliced pineapple rings in juice. Comes out wonderfully. I cook mine on low all day. I plan on using the leftover juice along with the bone to make red beans for red beans and rice.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 PM

I think it would have to be the right soup. A carrot curry or other soup. Maybe try it out by adding it to another made soup in a bowl or pureeing veggies and make a small amount of soup to see if you like it..
Old 11-08-2018, 02:14 AM

Don't know about cooking with the stock of "ham" and apple juice but we made bean soup with ham stock at home. And there is the story of the Mennonites eating their apple pie covered in bean soup. Yes, put slice of apple pie into your soup bowl and then add the soup. Claimed it saved on dishes in large families.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM

I cook my ham joint only in water and use the stock for soup. I then remove the rind, score the fat, and add a couple of tablespoons maple syrup and roast the ham joint.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Yes, of course you can use the cooking liquid from the gammon instead of stock/water to make soup. It will be very tasty. If the gammon was a little fatty, I would suggest letting the liquid go cold, so that any fat can settle on top, this will make it easier to remove, and then continue to make a soup, or anything you wish to make with the stock.