Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How to use roaster oven? >

How to use roaster oven?

How to use roaster oven?

Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by materialgrl View Post
I was wondering about cooking my turkey in the cooking bag in the roaster does it brown? I ve used them never a roaster bag.Also do you cook on the same temp as an oven?
The turkey doesn't brown as well as in an oven, but it is very moist. I set it at 325 and it cooks faster than in an oven.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:36 PM

The directions to my roaster say NOT to use a cooking bag. I think the bag could touch the lid & maybe split? I do not consider a roaster like a slow cooker. It's a small oven. We use ours to cook turkey & then in the summer, we keep it on the back porch so we don't heat up the house using the big oven.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM

I used one last Thanksgiving for the first time. Borrowed a second one from my granddaughter and did the dressing in it. Think I set the Turkey (it was a big one) on 325 or 350, think it was 350, but not sure and it cooked up beautifully and browned nicely as well. I think I added a cup of water to it and then checked as it cooked to see if I need anymore. Turkey was nice and moist and everyone raved about it. Dressing turned out well too. Cooked the potatoes separately as I need a lot of mashed potatoes for my bunch. Just think of it as an extension to your oven and you will be fine.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else reading this board. I don't have to cook it this year thankfully as I just had open heart surgery (mitral valve replacement) and am not doing a lot yet.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:55 AM

I have been cooking with a 6 quart roaster for about 4 years, and just cooked 2 chickens in the large roaster. If I were you, I would purchase one, and practice cooking on one before you have to cook for 30+ people. It cooks differently than an oven.....

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-4816-25P...+nesco+roaster

Just my honest opinion.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 AM

We use them at church for things like cheesy potatoes using hashbrowns, sour cream, cheese,etc., and also for meats, and baked beans. They are hotter than a crock pot. More like an oven.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM

I use one every Thanksgiving and does great on a Turkey. I add some water to the bottom and baste the turkey every 30 minutes or so. With the water turkey juices come out and so easy to baste, and cooks faster then an oven and can nice and brown. Here in FL it is great as it is often warm in Nov and so hot to have a big oven on. Use a large toaster oven for baking and cooking so seldom turn big oven on. And electric is cheaper than propane too.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:17 AM
4L

I have 4 roaster ovens: 4,5, 6 and 18 qt. My big oven is out right now and I cook everything in my roaster ovens from bacon to pizza to hot dips , pork tenderloins , meat loaf and garlic roasted potatoes...I have made cobblers and crisps in them too.. and crescent roll type sandwiches..I may choose NOT to get my oven fixed until I get a brand new stove! I LOVE my roaster ovens..(And No, I am not an employee of Nesco nor am I a stock holder -just a roaster oven owner.)