Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Hubby just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes..Need idea.s for food. >

Hubby just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes..Need idea.s for food.

Hubby just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes..Need idea.s for food.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM

My Dad, his mom and all 6 of his brothers and sisters were diabetic. My Dad had diabetes from age 35 to 72.
He said he lost alot of his sense of taste after coming down with it, so we fixed meals with alot of spice. We used the scale to measure his food, he exercised...and that is really key to living with Diabetes. Lots of walking, bike riding...we all stayed in shape after that.
The Diabetes association has all kinds of recipes and lots on the internet as well.
It is all about being sugar level regulated...so check levels often in the beginning to determine what activites and foods need to be considered.
Best wishes
D in Tx
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM

A few years back I (a diabetic) was part of a trial study at a local hospital on the affect of exercise on sugar levels. They measured my level before, during, and after a half-hour of exercise which included some easy stretching, biking, and walking a hallway. In that 30 minutes, my level dropped 90 points! I don't know if other's in the study had the same results because of confidentiality but I certainly have tried to keep this as a lesson on how to go forward.

Best of luck to you and your husband!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by gail-r
I'm a bit overwhelmed, he now has type 2 diabetes plus some heart concerns so he really needs to be on a heart healthy diabetic diet. I'm trying to learn to count carbs but trying to figure out a weeks worth of meals and snacks is making me slightly crazier than usual.

The big problem is trying to give him a variety and control portion size. I'm going to eat when and whatever he eats so that helps with the portion size, I just make less and he knows he has to share.

He has always been a meat, potatoes and gravy, kind of guy. And if the meat and potatoes were fried then it was even better. So, trying to change is going to be difficult especially if I can't give him an interesting variety.

Any help, advise or receipes would be appreciated.

Hugs, Gail
Theres not much to change. My mom has type 2 and has heart issues... And we really didn't have to changer her diet... The same with my Grandfather.

With this though, you HAVE to do trial and error... what raises one persons blood sugar doesn't mean it will affect some one elses.

Ex. Rice raises my grandfathers blood sugar... but has no major effect on my mom.

Another piece of advice is... if you can fry it... you can bake it! Baking food is healthier than frying the food. Great foods to do this with are roasts, chicken and pork... if you need to make steak stick it in a broiler or find a recipe to bake it. Crock Pots are also great for things like this too!

When it comes to items laden with sugars, DO NOT DENY HIM! To a point of course... Think moderation... if the package says "Serving size 1 piece" then only 1 piece!

You have to find the right mix of veggies too... Corn and Peas are great... but you can't give them that all the time... they are a starch, along with rice and potatoes. Like I said, trial and error are a must. This way you will find out the right combinations right for your husband.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi, My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 27 years and I have type 2 for three years. We try to eat "healthy" by not eating fried foods... you can bake or broil meats..roasts are good too. you can bake french fries, make desserts with alternate forms of sugar.
We try to limit carbs..but you need some. Your best bet is to attend a dieticians presentation at your local hospital, call the local diabetes chapter in your location. Following the American Heart Association diet plans are good.
Fruits and vegetables cooked or steamed are good. You can have a small baked potato.. season with salsa sauce instead of butter and sour cream. I know it seems very difficult right now at the beginning... small portions are a great idea.. snacks help to carry you through between meal times.
Does he check his blood levels? a diabetic nurse can help him determine what to eat when he is low and what to do when he is high. I take an oral medication. does he?
Good luck, feel free to contact me privately if you want to..I can give my email address if you pm me.
Sharon
Old 06-18-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm pre-diabetic. Been using olive oil for years, TRYING to watch what I eat, like trying to stay away from anemic foods. Like white bread, white rice, white potatoes etc. My Pancreas was going bananas - I was hungry as a starved lion after I finished a full course meal. Finally put a stop to that with a herbal supplement, Diabetic Support Pack you can find at your drug store in the herbal area. I also take an extra cinnamon capsul daily also. Do you know that cinnamon is a great balance for your insulin levels. Now if I can only get motivated to exercise.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
I'm pre-diabetic. Been using olive oil for years, TRYING to watch what I eat, like trying to stay away from anemic foods. Like white bread, white rice, white potatoes etc. My Pancreas was going bananas - I was hungry as a starved lion after I finished a full course meal. Finally put a stop to that with a herbal supplement, Diabetic Support Pack you can find at your drug store in the herbal area. I also take an extra cinnamon capsul daily also. Do you know that cinnamon is a great balance for your insulin levels. Now if I can only get motivated to exercise.
This is a huge lifestyle change for us, but so far I haven't killed him and can actually say today I didn't have his blood sugar levels on my mind every waking second. I've started using Olive oil also, I put about a tsp. in a small frying pan and let it get hot then crack an egg in it, add a little water and put a lid on the pan. That way he gets to think he is getting a fried egg 3 x's a week. Made him a small lowfat sausage patty, low fat toast and oj for breakfast. I made a rotisery turkey breast with lemon pepper on the grill and cut up some small red potatoes, tossed them with a little olive oil, parsley flakes and garlic powder and cooked them on the grill also. Both were very good. Trying to feed him his big meal at lunch time and then something lighter for dinner. Tonight he had tuna salad and a garden salad and sugar free jello with about half of a small peice of angel food cake. I think I have spent about $250. at the grocery store since tuesday. But I now have a good supply of low fat, fat free and sugar free items. Plus my fridge is packed with fresh fruits and vegies, and bunch of yogurt. So, I'm learning. I made a big excel spreadsheet to track his sugar readings, units of insulin, food and carbs, fats, proteins and calories. Calories are more for me. I think it is very interesting, that usually his lowest readings of the day are at 1:00 pm, just before we eat lunch. Since he is on both the Metformin pills 2 x's a day, Novalog insulin 4 x's and Lantus insulin at night, the doctor wanted me to make sure he has a snack between each meal and before bed, so it seems like all I do is cook, eat and clean the kitchen.

I wish he could excercise but he has a lot of other health issues, we are in the process of getting him a motorized wheelchair so he can get out of the house more. He can walk inside but only for about 20 feet before he is completely out of breath, so when he gets the jazzy he will be able to go get the mail and tool around the stores. He even said today that maybe he would go fishing. So, I'm hopeful he will feel better and want to do more soon, he has been sick for so long now we know that it was the diabetes.

I sure helps talking to everyone on the board, I don't say much to my children as they all worry to much about us as is, if they had their way we would be living with one of them. That hopefully will never happen. I told them, "gees, I just got rid of you guys, why would I want to live with any of you when Dad & I can finally enjoy some peace and quiet". They thought I was kidding, little do they know.

Well, time for a snack so I better go. Sorry for being a Chatty Kathy.

Hugs, Gail
Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Just wondering about the staying away from sugar free foods. I thought that was good to use if you were diabetic.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Sounds as though you are using your head....so glad about that. Now remember....after a major heart problem, it takes a year to really feel great again. It took that long before my DH felt relatively well. The sugar free really has me spooked, so we only use real honey, sugar, or REAL maple syrup, or sometimes molasses. I have found my DH and I want less sugary foods, if we have the proper proteins for lunch or dinner. AND also consider proper hydration with pure water.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 PM

I'm sending best wishes first---my hubby was diagnosed last year ....he (we) went to classes at our local hospital and learned a lot...portion control being the key. Instead of "giving up" food, (except for the sweets) we switched to whole grains (including pasta) and our solution was----he fixed his plate of what was for dinner...and then removed half of it. Ate fruit at almost every meal...and the snacks (in between meals) are VERY important.....they keep the sugar level---level. He lost 30 pounds in 6 mos..and is no longer on meds. Just what we did...not necessarily "right".
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rubyrednails2
Just wondering about the staying away from sugar free foods. I thought that was good to use if you were diabetic.
These are good to use, but they are high in carbs, so you have to watch your carb intake. These are not necessarily low-calorie foods. Ask me how I know. I, too, am diabetic and was diagnosed 18 years ago. A teaspoon of table sugar (sucrose) at a meal in a serving of food is allowed. I can use Sweet & Low or other sacchrin brands and I am all right. Equal is okay in cold, but looses it sweetness in heated (cooked) foods or drinks. Splenda gives me gas and makes my stomach feel like it is turning over and over. I have tried a little of Truvia and its sweetness is almost the same as sacchrin, but expensive. You can go to the health food store and buy fructose (a sugar from fruit) and mix it with the sugar substitutes to bake with. I would mix it 1/2 to 1/2 ratio and that depends on the diabetics response to using fructose. High fructose corn syrup in any product is worse than consuming table sugar. A heart healthy diet and a diabetic diet is almost the same--just adjust the sugar consumption allowed for heart patients to what is allowed on a diabetic diet. Most all the above info was good. If you can get in a support group for diabetics (or heart patients), you won't feel so overwhelmed. That's what I did at first and it helped a lot.