Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
I need peanut butter help >

I need peanut butter help

I need peanut butter help

Old 09-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Default I need peanut butter help

My daughter brought me six jars of homemade peanut butter that she made, but it has already separated. How on earth would I stir this up without breaking a wooden spoon or bending a metal one? Is there something I can stir in that will help it stay mixed? DH loves to put peanut butter and honey on his bagels, can I blend that in, and will it stay mixed? If I can't find a way to get it blended, I will end of giving it to my dogs but the spoonful as a treat. I do hate the idea of wasting so much goodness. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

It is normal for peanut butter that does not have all kinds of chemicals, preservatives added to separate... You just take a butter knife & start at the top, stir a little bit, go a little deeper, stir some more, and a little deeper, you work your way to the bottom. As you start using it you give it a good stir each time & it gets easier each time. Been using (natural) peanut butter all my life, have never broken a spoon or bent a knife. Enjoy it, it is the best!
Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Ditto what ckcowl said. I actually use a steak knife to stir it with. The edge works well in cutting through the thick peanutty part to incorporate the separations.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:56 PM

I would try freezing a jar to see if it will keep it fresher until I got ready to use it. Everything else freezes , that should too. I would try at least one to see. Just my thought.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
My daughter brought me six jars of homemade peanut butter that she made, but it has already separated. How on earth would I stir this up without breaking a wooden spoon or bending a metal one? Is there something I can stir in that will help it stay mixed? DH loves to put peanut butter and honey on his bagels, can I blend that in, and will it stay mixed? If I can't find a way to get it blended, I will end of giving it to my dogs but the spoonful as a treat. I do hate the idea of wasting so much goodness. Any ideas?
My daddy grew peanuts and we made peanut butter with them. What others said about stirring is right on but we would put ours in the fridge once mixed. It never separated as long as it was fridgerated. It don't take long to return to room temp for eating. I don't recall ever freezing it. We kept what we weren't using on a shelf, but we ate pretty fast as there were all of us kids. If you have a lot, you might want to try freezing as the oils in the peanut butter will go rancid more quickly than the store stuff.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:26 AM

We use a kitchen aid hand blender to mix ours, its a bit messy that first time but one it's mixed really well, put the lid on and store it upside down in the fridge. It will stay mixed and ready to use!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:43 AM

Turn the jar upside down to get the oil in the bottom. Then I usually pour it into a container like those Pyrex bowls with the red lids, stir and refrigerate. Doesn't separate and is a lot easier to get what you want without getting it all over your hands and counter.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:37 AM

I buy Natural Peanut Butter all the time. I set it on my pantry shelf upside down until ready to open (i keep 2-3 on hand). Then when I open I use one beater in my mixer and get the oil beat back into it. Then keep in fridge as I use it. I love natural PB as there are no sugars added.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 AM

I buy natural peanut butter, and immediately put it in a bowl with a lid. The wide bowl makes it much easier to stir.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM

I make my own peanut butter and don't add oil at all. I use one jar of dry roasted peanuts, 1/4 cup splenda, 1 tsp. sea salt. Put all that in a food processor and turn on. It will make a big clump and you might think it's done but don't stop. The clump will all smooth out as the oils are brought out and It will become real creamy. I then store in the fridge. Yummy and no added oil.