Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
If you like homemade bread you got to make this. >

If you like homemade bread you got to make this.

If you like homemade bread you got to make this.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM

It does look good.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 AM

KA Flour has reps that travel and give baking demos. I attended one sponsored by a large grocery chain in our area. Several men there too. If I go to the work of baking it, I may as well spend a little more for better Flour. I quit using bleached flour a long time ago and never buy white coffee filters either.

I knew a man who lived in an Assisted Living apartment and baked bread EVERY DAY with a bread maker and gave it all away. Before she died, his wife gave piano lessons in their home, so many of her students live in the area and he'd call them to stop by for bread. Bonus was he'd get a visitor. He was using his 17th machine when he died at 101. He liked North Dakota flour for the protein content. Needless to say, he bought flour and yeast in bulk.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 AM

I've never seen KA flour in our stores here; just Gold Medal and store brands, or maybe I just haven't noticed, but will certainly look more closely next time I go shopping. I am a bread lover and tend to overeat homemade bread, I could probably eat the entire loaf myself. That's why I don't have a bread maker, but I use to make it back in my younger days and loved the kneading process and especially the smell.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM

King Arthur and Immaculate have an organic wheat flour that bakes up nicely. After using it, you can smell the chemicals in 'regular' brands. All non organic flour in the US is heavily sprayed after ripening with Round up. It shocks the plant into releasing more grains, so more yield per acre. So Round up is applied as it germinates and again as it matures. Yikes! No wonder there is a cancer epidemic among young people. I am gluten free, but I do bake for friends and family. Probably shouldn't because sometimes just inhaling flour bothers me. Something I have noticed much less since I started using organic. I haven't bought bleached flour since unbleached became available years ago. The bread sounds wonderful. I pinned the recipe for future use.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I threw a fit when I moved to our small town and not one store had unbleached flour. One grocery store manager said it cost more and no one would buy it when the store brand was much cheaper. No internet ordering then, everything was by phone or catalog form. Every cattleman I know uses Round Up or equivalent on the wheat crop and they grow the wheat to feed their cattle. It's impossible to be without the awful chemicals in our food now. Organic growing still uses approved chemicals but those are about as bad if not worse for the soil. Making food from scratch is defeating the purpose if the scratch products you need are tainted with chemicals. The public is not aware of 90% of the 'natural ingredients' used are not what they think. For example: Beaver butt glands are 'natural' and in most "natural ' vanilla flavored foods. Make me mad and sad.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Can someone tell me how to bookmark this?
To bookmark, look for the 'star' to the very upper right of this screen, just below the tabs on top. (in the line where it reads "https://www.quiltingboard.com....) Place your cursor on that star and it will read Bookmark this page, then click your mouse and then left click on Done. To find it later, in the next line, is a small arrow to the far right. Click on it and find your item. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 AM

Oh my goodness, does that ever look yummy! Thank you for it, Onebyone!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
If you're trying to bookmark the thread, go above the first post under "thread tools" and you can print it, subscribe to it, or email it to yourself.

If you just want the recipe, open the link and you can save it in a bookmarks folder, depending on what kind of computer software you have.

What I usually do is email the link and the full recipe to myself, as sometimes websites change or go away. This way I have my own copy I can access as long as I have access to the internet.
Thanks for your help. I printed it out. Can't wait to try it!