Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving >

Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving

Must Have Side Dish For Thanksgiving

Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Can you share the recipe? Thanks.

Originally Posted by missionslady View Post
I have a wonderful recipe for a vegetable casserole with a Ritz Cracker topping that has become a favorite with my family. It is easy, nutritious and very good!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Smile

I call it dressing too. Your recipe is exactly like mine! Friends here in CA think I'm crazy to cook cornbread and biscuits for a dressing!! I love to sample the uncooked dressing,(before adding the eggs) Luv it, can hardly wait till Turkey day, Thanks an have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
I'm making a green bean casserole that calls for frozen green beans, water chestnuts, fresh mushrooms and a cream sauce..and i top it with French's onions out of a can.....it is awesome. However, I LOVE the tinny taste of the typical greenbean casserole with canned green beans and canned soup ! Too, my stuffing, actually we call if dressing, is pretty good also....make with fresh cooked corn bread, homemade biscuits, mixed with homemade broth, along with cooked celery and onions, a boatload of sage, mixed with beaten eggs and baked until the consistency of a really moist cornbread.........such a southern down home tradition in my family !
Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Oh wow Chris, this sounds great, I'm going to try this. Thanks, and have a great Turkey Day!

Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Try this home made creamed corn recipe, I have also done it without the parmesan cheese. Once it is made you can put it in a slow cooker to keep warm.

Creamed Corn

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 t salt
dash of white pepper
5 cups frozen corn - thawed
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Melt butter -stir in flour til smooth. Gradually add cream, milk, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add corn, heat through. Transfer to ungreased 1 1/2 quart broiler proof dish. Sprinkle with cheese - broil 5 inches from heat 3-5 minutes
Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Hi Gilly, the green rice recipe sounds great, can you share it please, Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
I also have a great "green rice" recipe and also corn casserole-let me know if you are interested in either recipes
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 AM

I too taste it before the eggs.......my aunt used sage, almost too much, but I love the peppery taste of sage......not poultry seasoning because it is usually diluted with other seasonings, I love the sage flavor. I'm a bit surprised that even in CA you embrace this same type recipe...thought it was only here in the south....but that is ok, you just can't keep good taste regional !!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Gonna try this creamed corn recipe....was looking for another dish for dinner, not being a sweet potato fan, I wanted something that would add another color, hence your creamed corn ! Looking forward to it ! Happy Thanksgiving !
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM

My DH cannot go without creamed pearl onions.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM

I make a jello salad. desolving cinnamon red hots in water 2 cups of water, large package of raspberry jello, 2 cups of apple sauce let set and top with dairy topping with a little mayo in it. 1 table spoon is ok. family fav for years
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM

I make a broccoli casserole:

20 oz frozen or fresh broccoli, 1 can cream of mushroon soup, 2 eggs, 1 Tbsp finely chopped or dry onion flakes,
1/2 cup mayo , 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheese, 1/2 to 1 stack of Ritz crackers, smashed.

mix all but 1 c cheese and Ritz crackers together and put in sprayed casserole. Top with crushed Ritz and cheese and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 about 45 mins, maybe just a bit more.

Broccoli Salad:

Make dressing first so it can set and meld: 1 to 2 cups of good mayo, stir in 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar or Truvia and let sit until
other things are mixed.

Broccoli florets, fresh and cut in bite size pieces
Cauliflower florets, fresh and cut in bite size pieces
red onion, coarsely chopped
craisins or raisins (I like Craisins)
broken pecan pieces, coarse
crispy bacon, chopped coarse (or use Hormel Real Bacon Bits from pkg)

Mix together, add dressings and mix until all dressing is distributed, put in serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, put
in fridge at least 2 or 3 hrs to meld.

I never have any of this salad left. When I take a large bowl to church suppers it goes right away and people will say "I didn't get any".

I have used this as a first course salad and as a side dish, always a hit.

I did not put measured amounts as I just mix up how much I think I will need of the broccoli and cauliflower (sometimes make it without the cauliflower), then add other ingredients to go with the amount of vegs I have.

Hope this will help, delma
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM

I know this is regional but I just can't do without sauerkraut. This is a must in Maryland. I put the turkey neck in it for flavor.