Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Natto...tell me more >

Natto...tell me more

Natto...tell me more

Old 05-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Natto...tell me more

I know...most of us have never heard of Natto, much less eaten it. It is a traditional Japanese breakfast food made out of fermented, soy beans. I hear it's slimy and it stinks to high heaven. Ha ha. I'll bet that I lost a lot of you right there. Anyway...I understand that it's very nutritious and has great, anti-blood clotting properties. If anyone here is familiar with it, please speak up. I'd like to know how you prepare it, store it, etc.

Thanks,
~ C
Old 05-14-2020, 03:51 AM

I've eaten it and enjoyed it, although most Americans cannot get beyond the smell. :-) I don't know how to prepare it though. If I remeber correctly my Japanese exchange student said it took a long time to make. Hope you can find a recipe or instructions.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
I've eaten it and enjoyed it, although most Americans cannot get beyond the smell. :-) I don't know how to prepare it though. If I remeber correctly my Japanese exchange student said it took a long time to make. Hope you can find a recipe or instructions.
Thanks Lena,

I do have a recipe for it. It needs to ferment for a time,but I don't know how long. I've ordered some natto starter and I'm going to try to make a batch. I'll let you know how it goes.

~ C
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Natto...made it, smelled it, held nose and ate it....yumm! It was very easy to make too. I'm starting a second batch.

~C
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

There is some controversy for those with estrogen positive breast cancer to consume large amounts of soy products. I donít know what constitutes large or enough though.
Old Today, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
There is some controversy for those with estrogen positive breast cancer to consume large amounts of soy products. I don’t know what constitutes large or enough though.
I think that the jury is still out on that. Personally, I find the health benefits are worth the risk.

I have found that mixing the natto with a little tamari, pickled ginger and mirin makes it taste fantastic. I used this combo today on top of some avocado toast. The avo and natto compliment each other nicely.

~ C
Old Today, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I think that the jury is still out on that. Personally, I find the health benefits are worth the risk.

I have found that mixing the natto with a little tamari, pickled ginger and mirin makes it taste fantastic. I used this combo today on top of some avocado toast. The avo and natto compliment each other nicely.

~ C
yes thatís why I said some controversy. We will all decide - I decided not to because I had estrogen positive breast cancer.