Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Natto...tell me more >

Natto...tell me more

Natto...tell me more

Old 05-13-2020, 09:24 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,034
Default Natto...tell me more

I know...most of us have never heard of Natto, much less eaten it. It is a traditional Japanese breakfast food made out of fermented, soy beans. I hear it's slimy and it stinks to high heaven. Ha ha. I'll bet that I lost a lot of you right there. Anyway...I understand that it's very nutritious and has great, anti-blood clotting properties. If anyone here is familiar with it, please speak up. I'd like to know how you prepare it, store it, etc.

Thanks,
~ C
tropit is offline  
Old 05-14-2020, 03:51 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 348
Default

I've eaten it and enjoyed it, although most Americans cannot get beyond the smell. :-) I don't know how to prepare it though. If I remeber correctly my Japanese exchange student said it took a long time to make. Hope you can find a recipe or instructions.
Lena1952 is offline  
Old 05-15-2020, 03:56 PM
  #3  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,034
Default

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
I've eaten it and enjoyed it, although most Americans cannot get beyond the smell. :-) I don't know how to prepare it though. If I remeber correctly my Japanese exchange student said it took a long time to make. Hope you can find a recipe or instructions.
Thanks Lena,

I do have a recipe for it. It needs to ferment for a time,but I don't know how long. I've ordered some natto starter and I'm going to try to make a batch. I'll let you know how it goes.

~ C
tropit is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,034
Default

Natto...made it, smelled it, held nose and ate it....yumm! It was very easy to make too. I'm starting a second batch.

~C
tropit is offline  
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 10,113
Default

There is some controversy for those with estrogen positive breast cancer to consume large amounts of soy products. I donít know what constitutes large or enough though.
Stitchnripper is offline  
Old Today, 07:18 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,034
Default

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
There is some controversy for those with estrogen positive breast cancer to consume large amounts of soy products. I don’t know what constitutes large or enough though.
I think that the jury is still out on that. Personally, I find the health benefits are worth the risk.

I have found that mixing the natto with a little tamari, pickled ginger and mirin makes it taste fantastic. I used this combo today on top of some avocado toast. The avo and natto compliment each other nicely.

~ C
tropit is offline  
Old Today, 07:47 AM
  #7  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 10,113
Default

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I think that the jury is still out on that. Personally, I find the health benefits are worth the risk.

I have found that mixing the natto with a little tamari, pickled ginger and mirin makes it taste fantastic. I used this combo today on top of some avocado toast. The avo and natto compliment each other nicely.

~ C
yes thatís why I said some controversy. We will all decide - I decided not to because I had estrogen positive breast cancer.
Stitchnripper is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.