Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Need recipe for Never-Fail Nut Rolls >

Need recipe for Never-Fail Nut Rolls

Need recipe for Never-Fail Nut Rolls

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 AM

I can't believe I lost my recipe for never-fail nut rolls. I was never able to make them until I ran across this recipe. I was just channel-surfing one day several years ago and came across this lovely lady who was promising her recipe was never-fail. I don't know what her name was, or which channel it was, but it was obvious that she had a regular cooking session on whatever program that was. (I think it was a Christian channel but I'm not positive). I would dearly appreciate any help any of you out there could give me.

The recipe called for sour cream in the dough which was brought to a boil. Then I think she added the sugar until it dissolved, let the sour cream cool to lukewarm and then added a crumbled cake of fresh yeast. I think the recipe called for only 3 c. flour and of course some salt, eggs and butter.

The nut filling is a cooked filling using walnuts, sugar, milk, butter and eggs.

The recipe made 3 rolls which she placed side by side in a 9 x 12 baking pan.

They came out perfect (except mine split a little at the seams, but I've since learned to prick the dough with a toothpick before baking). I only make them at Christmas and due to health reasons and not feeling well, have not made them the last 2 years. In the meantime, the recipe disappeared. I'd love to have it back. Can anyone help?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Could this be it?

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...failnutrol.htm
Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Thanks, Amma. After I posted this request, I found that one, too, and printed it out. It does sound very much like the right one except that it calls for dry yeast instead of fresh (the TV lady said you MUST use fresh yeast, but I don't see why), and I don't remember that it had baking soda in it. I found the same recipe on cooks.com using fresh yeast and no baking soda, I guess I'll have to give them a try.

Thanks for your research. I knew someone would come through!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Google Goddess

did you find it yet?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
did you find it yet?
Not yet, but thanks for asking.

I've checked all 6 of my over-stuffed recipe boxes. Now I'm looking in the "Yeast Bread" section of my many cookbooks to see if maybe I slipped it between the pages. I know that I had written it on yellow legal-pad paper when I was watching the TV program, and later re-wrote it with better penmanship on a sheet of white paper, and just folded them up and put them in the recipe box. The pages were not a perfect fit and were sticking up, and that's what I've been looking for. With my memory being what it is lately, perhaps I transferred the recipe to regular index cards and just don't remember. If I don't find them stuck between cookbook pages, I'll start checking every index card in my recipe boxes. I just hope I didn't accidentally throw them away.

If I still don't have any luck (and no one else on the board uses the same recipe), I'll try the recipes on easteuropeanfood.com and cooks.com.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 PM

My husband's family (from Slovenia) make something like this for the holidays. they call it Potica, pronounced, Pah-TEET-zah. I look forward to it every Christmas.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
My husband's family (from Slovenia) make something like this for the holidays. they call it Potica, pronounced, Pah-TEET-zah. I look forward to it every Christmas.
Yep, that's it. Just about all the eastern European cuisines made the same nut rolls (or poppy seed, which I also love), sometimes with very slight variations within the same nationality. I like the recipe I lost because it was made with sour cream which kept the dough soft and moist longer than doughs made without it. Our family always made it for Easter, Christmas, weddings, etc. Everyone is gone now except for my sisters who use my mom's recipe which I don't care for because the dough layers are very thick, and the nut layers are thin, and they shape it into a large thick horseshoe or ring. When I got older, I discovered the nut logs made with THIN layers of dough between the nut layers.

Guess I'll just have to try the 2 recipes from the online sites.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM

NEVER FAIL NUT ROLL

1 c. sour cream (Imitation sour cream may be used)
3 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cake yeast, crumbled
3 c. flour

FILLING:

1 lb. walnuts, ground
1 c. milk
1 egg
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar

Bring to boil in large saucepan sour cream. Remove from heat; stir in butter, sugar, and salt. Mix until well blended. Cool to lukewarm. Add eggs, unbeaten, and yeast. Stir well until yeast is dissolved. Mix in with spoon flour. Turn on lightly flour board. Knead a few seconds to form a smooth ball. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Divide dough into 3 parts. Roll each ball on board. Spread with filling. Roll up as for jelly roll. Cover and let rise in warm place until light 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

FILLING:

Combine all ingredients; cook until thick. Cool before spreading on dough. Make before you start on the dough.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM

this was on the cooks.com site hope this is the one you needed
Old 05-31-2010, 06:14 AM

Hey, everyone - I found it! I did rewrite it on index cards and put it in the "Dessert" section of one of my recipe boxes. The yellow legal-pad paper is long gone! I'm going to rewrite it 2 more times so I have it under "Yeast Breads" and under "Cakes", so no matter where I look for it, I'll find it!

Incidentally, it is almost exactly like the recipes all of you have suggested, so that if I had not found mine, any of the ones you found for me would have worked. (Mine DOES have the 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda in it - so much for my memory!)

Thank all of you so much for your willingness to help. That's what I love about this board. Perfect strangers from all over creation come together to help one person, or even just to make a comment about something going on in your life. Makes me feel like I've made new friends just sitting here all by myself just typing and saying hello.

Thanks again. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day with family and friends.