Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Potato Kugel AKA Kugelis >

Potato Kugel AKA Kugelis

Potato Kugel AKA Kugelis

Old 08-30-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Potato Kugel AKA Kugelis

Am looking for a recipe for Kugelis that is not very dense. When I used to go to Chucago I frequented a restaurant named Mabenka that had the fluffiest Potato Kugel. I cannot replicate it. Can anyonr help?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:06 PM

Boy, is my spelling bad --- I meant Chicago! Mabenka is a Polish/Lithuanian restaurant. Delish!!!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Am looking for a recipe for Kugelis that is not very dense. When I used to go to Chucago I frequented a restaurant named Mabenka that had the fluffiest Potato Kugel. I cannot replicate it. Can anyonr help?
Hi Pete-----here is the recipe for Kugelis that my Mom and grandmothers made

Kugelis (potato pudding)

5 or 6 large potatoes 1/4 tsp pepper
2 onions 1/2 cup hot milk or evaporated milk
3 slices of bacon 4 eggs
2 tsp salt

peel and grate fine the potatoes and onion (Mom used the blender but grandma didn't)
cut bacon crosswise into narrow strips, fry until crisp,pour fat and bacon over potatoes, add hot milk. Add beaten eggs one at a time, add salt and pepper blend---bake 400' for 15 minutes--reduce heat to 375' and bake 45 minutes longer. cut into squares serve hot with sour cream as a main course or side dish.

I hope this recipe helps----I understand that different regions of Lithuania had variations of these recipes---my grandmothers were from the Vilnus area.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 AM

Are those potatoes cooked and mashed with or without usual things put in mashed potatoes like salt pepper milk butter? Sounds good, love what I call peasant food....grandparents from Poland........
Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilterlaurie View Post

Kugelis (potato pudding)

3 slices of bacon 4 eggs
2 tsp salt

peel and grate fine the potatoes and onion (Mom used the blender but grandma didn't)
cut bacon crosswise into narrow strips, fry until crisp,pour fat and bacon over potatoes, add hot milk. Add beaten eggs one at a time, add salt and pepper blend---bake 400' for 15 minutes--reduce heat to 375' and bake 45 minutes longer. cut into squares serve hot with sour cream as a main course or side dish.

I hope this recipe helps----I understand that different regions of Lithuania had variations of these recipes---my grandmothers were from the Vilnus area.
Oh, does that sound good! I will be making this this fall without a doubt!

My father was full-blooded Lithuanian. I can still taste my grandmother's meatloaf - the best on the planet, and of course, no recipe. My dad was brought up in Nashua, NH in a mostly Lithuanian neighborhood. I wish I could turn back the hands of time and revisit those childhood times/culture.

I have one recipe from "Boba" for potato babka. Haven't attempted that one yet.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 AM

This looks very close to my mother's recipe. She would line the bottom of a roaster with kugelis and put spareribs on a rack over the potatoes. All the fat drippings would make the best, tastiest, crispiest potatoes! (I can just smell it roasting!)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilterlaurie View Post

Kugelis (potato pudding)

3 slices of bacon 4 eggs
2 tsp salt

Thank you so much --- do you heat the evaporated milk? What type of potato do you use? Yellow or white onion? My GPs were also from the Vilnus area.

Last edited by Pete; 08-31-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
This looks very close to my mother's recipe. She would line the bottom of a roaster with kugelis and put spareribs on a rack over the potatoes. All the fat drippings would make the best, tastiest, crispiest potatoes! (I can just smell it roasting!)
Making me hungry!!!!! I love ribs and never heard it done this way.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Thank you so much --- do you heat the evaporated milk? What type of potato do you use? Yellow or white onion? My GPs were also from the Vilnus area.
I use russet potatoes----type of onion doesn't matter---yes heat the milk---enjoy---I haven't made this for some time--now you have me in the mood to bring out grandmas recipes again---mmmm--blinies too yum
Old 09-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
Oh, does that sound good! I will be making this this fall without a doubt!

My father was full-blooded Lithuanian. I can still taste my grandmother's meatloaf - the best on the planet, and of course, no recipe. My dad was brought up in Nashua, NH in a mostly Lithuanian neighborhood. I wish I could turn back the hands of time and revisit those childhood times/culture.

I have one recipe from "Boba" for potato babka. Haven't attempted that one yet.

Thanks for sharing!
Hi Woodster...just wanted to say hello from someone who lives about 10 miles from Nashua. Still has a large Lithuanian population. Did you ever live up here?