Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Programmable Pressure Cooker >

Programmable Pressure Cooker

Programmable Pressure Cooker

Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I'm going to try this today...will let you know how it turns out.
OK, I forgot I said I'd post back on this until just now. I made the pot roast. It was a thick beef roast, at least two inches thick and about three pounds. I used the cream of mushroom soup and the dry onion soup mix, plus the beef broth.

Mine was not fork tender until it had cooked almost twelve hours in the crockpot. But that's fine with us. We thought it might be done after six hours (temperature read around 170 - 180 degrees) but it was tough. Then I researched a little and found a page where a lot of the posters said six hours was not going to long enough to get a tender roast. In my case, that turned out to be true.

So recipe worked fine but my crockpot needs more time to get the job done. I think the gravy it made is fine but he said he thought it was a little salty. I believe he is not all that fond of brown gravy to begin with.

There you go, for what its worth.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:31 AM

Made spaghetti & meatballs in I POT.Needed to use up frozen meatballs.Remember,all pressure cookers take time
to come to pressure......then 4 minutes to done for a yummy dish.
Works the same using macaroni instead of spaghetti.
I tried recipe books from the library,then got this one from Amazon."Good Food Fast" by Bob Warden
You can also do fine by using the FB site.Pat
Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 PM

I think I bought mine during the same sale!

We used it for the first time tonight, and made the Moroccan Lamb Tajine recipe that came with the recipe book (link here for those without the book: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pr...n-lamb-tajine/ )

We had lamb in the freezer from some other meal my son had requested. It was good, but if I make it again, we might try it with beef or chicken as lamb is harder to find/more expensive in our area. Or we'll just wait until we find lamb for a good price.

We did make two changes... we used garlic powder instead of crushed garlic cloves, and fresh plums instead of re-hydrating prunes. The plums were free, on hand, and I figured it would be close enough! Served it over jasmine rice.

It's nice that it was done in one pot, (except the rice), so we didn't dirty a bunch of stuff in the kitchen, and it was relatively fast. I can see myself being able to come home and use it after one of my 12 hour shifts (although I shouldn't have to very often, since the kid does a lot of cooking). On a work day, I like something that cooks fairly fast.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:24 AM

I have two. I have a fagor electric pressure cooker that I bought a few years ago and I bought the 7 in 1 instant pot on amazon on prime day. There are a few days that I have both of them going. I also have a ninja 3 in 1 cooker, an air fryer and a cuisinart griddler. Plus my trusty rice cooker and of course my microwave and toaster oven. I have barely used my stove at all this summer.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
OK, I forgot I said I'd post back on this until just now. I made the pot roast. It was a thick beef roast, at least two inches thick and about three pounds. I used the cream of mushroom soup and the dry onion soup mix, plus the beef broth.

Mine was not fork tender until it had cooked almost twelve hours in the crockpot. But that's fine with us. We thought it might be done after six hours (temperature read around 170 - 180 degrees) but it was tough. Then I researched a little and found a page where a lot of the posters said six hours was not going to long enough to get a tender roast. In my case, that turned out to be true.

So recipe worked fine but my crockpot needs more time to get the job done. I think the gravy it made is fine but he said he thought it was a little salty. I believe he is not all that fond of brown gravy to begin with.

There you go, for what its worth.
I'll bet you didn't cook it on high with lid on for the 4-6 hours. I know its scary to do that. Salty comes from heavy soup content, but with a whole pot of vegetables it spreads out and is fine. Just the meat? yeah, probably salty, but usually not bad, maybe kick the onion soup down by half (?) for your hubby.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I'll bet you didn't cook it on high with lid on for the 4-6 hours. I know its scary to do that. Salty comes from heavy soup content, but with a whole pot of vegetables it spreads out and is fine. Just the meat? yeah, probably salty, but usually not bad, maybe kick the onion soup down by half (?) for your hubby.
You are right...I cooked it on low. So next time will try on high. Thanks for the help. It was really good. So easy. Works out for us. Love it.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:16 AM

Is this instant pot another version of the power pressure cooker that is/was popular recently? Or something different?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:40 AM

I just ordered my second GoWise 6 in 1 pressure cooker/slow cooker combo. I love it so much and use it all the time. Decided we need a second one. My advice get the 8 quart of whatever brand you get.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Is this instant pot another version of the power pressure cooker that is/was popular recently? Or something different?
Geri, I had to look up what a power pressure cooker is. They look similar, but depending on which model of the Power Pressure Cooker you buy, I think the Instant Pot has more features. I say this because I only saw one Power Pressure Cooker model that had a steam function. If you go to Amazon, you can look up Instant Pot to see what it is. Basically, it is an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer & warmer, rice cooker, and it sautes/browns with 3 available temperatures. You can delay cooking time up to 24 hours. It has a stainless steel pot with a heavy bottom that you can remove to wash. The upgraded model from the one I purchased also makes yogurt. The Power Pressure Cooker that you were referring to also has a canning feature that the Instant Pot does not have. I had never heard of the model you mentioned, but I do know that there are several electric pressure cooker brands on the market.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 AM

Well, I have been cooking in my Instant Pot for about a week now and I am loving it. I love kitchen gadgets, and this is right up my alley. There is a learning curve to figuring it out, but that is to be expected. I have been using a stovetop pressure cooker for all of my adult life life, so that eliminates some of the mystery for me personally. I really like the saute feature on this. I haven't used it as a slow cooker yet, but I love that I can brown meat in the same pot that I am using as a slow cooker. And I really like that the inner pot is stainless steel with a heavy padded bottom.

Last night I made short ribs and they came out perfectly. I used the saute feature to brown the meat on all sides first to seal in the juices. Then I added half a cup of water and set the time manually for 20 minutes. When they were done, I removed the liquid and then basted them with barbeque sauce, and turned on the keep warm feature for about 10 minutes. I had cooked rice and green beans in my steamer to go with it and everything was delicious. I am scouting on the internet for recipes. There is a wealth of possibilities out there. Did I mention that I really love this thing?!