Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
snow is coming what's in the crock pot >

snow is coming what's in the crock pot

snow is coming what's in the crock pot

Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 PM

pot roast with all the veggies...yum
Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 AM

YUM-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to all these recipes. :thumbup:

I got my first crockpot/slow cooker in 1977 and that thing just gave up the ghost about 4 yrs ago! Now I have 2, but could easily use 3 around the holidays.

Here's another one of my SIMPLE, but reliable family favorite quickies...

Pork Chops and Smoked Mushroom Gravy

A family sized pkg of pork chops ( I trim off most of the fat)

A couple LG. cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. NOT diluted. I ONLY use Campbell's soup for this.. it's the best.

Baby Portabella mushrooms (quartered) - BUT you can use ANY mushroom. Fresh/dehydrated/canned /button mushrooms... it doesn't matter. The canned are my least favorite.

1/2 capful of liquid smoke (go easy with this..lol) I just stir the liquid smoke into one of the cans of soup before adding it.

In the crockpot layer:
START with a scoop of mushroom soup /pork chops/ a handful of fresh mushrooms/soup/chops/mushroom. I try to end with the mushrooms (or soup) on top. Basically, you want the chops smothered in the ingredients.

Cover - cook on low for 7-8 hrs or high for 6 hrs. This varies a little depending on how thick your pork chops are. You cannot wreck this with a little over cooking. So what if the meat is falling OFF the bone when you serve it. It deeeeeeelicious.

When done you don't even need to thicken the gravy. Also, that gravy is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish. I make mashed spuds (or rice) to go with it, and a green salad. My hub will eat 4 dinner rolls just soaking up the gravy..LOL

I've been making this for 30+ years...and it's still one of our FAVORITE crockpot meals.

ENJOY!!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
YUM-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to all these recipes. :thumbup:

I got my first crockpot/slow cooker in 1977 and that thing just gave up the ghost about 4 yrs ago! Now I have 2, but could easily use 3 around the holidays.

Here's another one of my SIMPLE, but reliable family favorite quickies...

Pork Chops and Smoked Mushroom Gravy

A family sized pkg of pork chops ( I trim off most of the fat)

A couple LG. cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. NOT diluted. I ONLY use Campbell's soup for this.. it's the best.

Baby Portabella mushrooms (quartered) - BUT you can use ANY mushroom. Fresh/dehydrated/canned /button mushrooms... it doesn't matter. The canned are my least favorite.

1/2 capful of liquid smoke (go easy with this..lol) I just stir the liquid smoke into one of the cans of soup before adding it.

In the crockpot layer:
START with a scoop of mushroom soup /pork chops/ a handful of fresh mushrooms/soup/chops/mushroom. I try to end with the mushrooms (or soup) on top. Basically, you want the chops smothered in the ingredients.

Cover - cook on low for 7-8 hrs or high for 6 hrs. This varies a little depending on how thick your pork chops are. You cannot wreck this with a little over cooking. So what if the meat is falling OFF the bone when you serve it. It deeeeeeelicious.

When done you don't even need to thicken the gravy. Also, that gravy is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish. I make mashed spuds (or rice) to go with it, and a green salad. My hub will eat 4 dinner rolls just soaking up the gravy..LOL

I've been making this for 30+ years...and it's still one of our FAVORITE crockpot meals.

ENJOY!!
This sounds good! My DH doesn't care for actual mushrooms but I bet I could just not use them.

Its true that undiluted soup with the meat makes a perfect (of kind of salty sometimes) gravy.

I will do the frozen or fresh veggies on the bottom topped by some kind of meat (if I use boneless chicken I don't even thaw it) with a teeny bit of Worcestershire sauce brushed on top (gives the meat a nice caramelized color like it was browned and adds a tang) followed by a can of cream of something soup all the time, cook on low 8 hours (except the boneless chicken which should only be 6....and thighs are less likely to be dry than breasts).

I have used chicken, pork chops, small roasts, you name it with carrots, broccoli (yummy when you do chicken and cheese soup) potatoes, whatever I have around. Easy, takes 5 minutes to set up and at dinner time cook a few egg noodles (fast) or rice (a little slower) and dinner is DONE.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
Who needs snow to use the crock pot? LOL
Exactly! Its awesome in hot weather as you don't need to use the oven and heat the house up. If its really hot I have put it on the porch or in the garage.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
Exactly! Its awesome in hot weather as you don't need to use the oven and heat the house up. If its really hot I have put it on the porch or in the garage.

Yep.. out to the back deck - it's well protected. Hot enough that no cat or raccoon is going to mess with it either. My dogs KNOW better...lol

Agreed.. I NEVER add salt to anything with mushroom soup in it. My new "low-salt" weapon is "Lemon Pepper". It's amazing what that tricks your tastebuds into thinking. There is a little salt in it, but not like grabbing the regular salt shaker.

Yes, it can be salty if you add any salt. Sure you can nix the mushrooms. We're s'hroom lovers here.. so they go into a lot of stuff. The "Pork chops" recipe is about as forgiving as they come.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Yep.. out to the back deck - it's well protected. Hot enough that no cat or raccoon is going to mess with it either. My dogs KNOW better...lol

Agreed.. I NEVER add salt to anything with mushroom soup in it. My new "low-salt" weapon is "Lemon Pepper". It's amazing what that tricks your tastebuds into thinking. There is a little salt in it, but not like grabbing the regular salt shaker.

Yes, it can be salty if you add any salt. Sure you can nix the mushrooms. We're s'hroom lovers here.. so they go into a lot of stuff. The "Pork chops" recipe is about as forgiving as they come.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Highmtn

Agreed.. I NEVER add salt to anything with mushroom soup in it.
The saltiest is the cheddar cheese soup...its good but I try to get the low sodium if I can or its just too salty sometimes. I think maybe the cooking down makes it taste saltier to me.

The cream of celery doesn't taste as salty to me, personally, even though it has as much sodium in it. Go figure!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM

You guys have made me so hungry. Tomorrow is grocery shopping day, so I have to make my list of all the things I need for my crock pot meals. I like to get up in the morning throw on that crock pot and sew all day. Perfect day!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Swiss Chicken:

I take boneless chicken thighs, with Swiss cheese slices laid on top, a little white wine mixed with a can of cream of chicken soup poured over...then use 3 cups of stuffing crumbs dotted with some butter, crock on low for 6 hours.
LOVE YOUR DOG!!!
Will try your recipe too ..it sounds delicious! Thank you
Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM

One medium sized pork roast
one large can of sauerkraut
one small onion, chopped
cook all day.
Yum. Yum.