Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
So..Whats your "Go To" recipe???? >

So..Whats your "Go To" recipe????

So..Whats your "Go To" recipe????

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Chele, that sounds awesome, I'm going to try it this weekend.

My go to/brainless meals are:

Quesadillas, cheese, any leftover meat (or none at all - if you don't have leftovers or want a vegetarian meal), onions, peppers, shrooms (all optional). Put ingredients in a tortilla, fold it in half, and I grill mine on my Foreman grill. Top with salsa and sour cream, a bowl of raw veggies, carrots, celery, broccoli etc... and a salad dressing as dip.

Or an omelet, same idea but with eggs instead of a tortilla. Add any toppings you want/have in your fridge: shredded cheese, meat, any veggies. simple, quick and satisfying. DH even likes to add salsa to omelets.

If I have a roast in the freezer (a cheap cut), I'll throw it in the crock pot before I go to work in the morning (frozen solid) with a couple of cups of beef broth. I shake Montreal steak spice on top, and set it on low for the entire day. The meat just falls apart and is so juicy, we eat it as beef dip with buns, all we have to do is make a salad when we get home. My kids also like it if I throw some fries in the oven, but I prefer salad.

The roast usually gives us meals for a couple of days, so I'll make quesadillas the next night, and usually a shepherds pie the last night with alll the small scraps. Saves thinking about meals for at least 3 days, gives my poor overtired brain a well needed rest.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I see many here do like I do. I don't use a recipe for cooking, I just cook. When I bake I use measured amounts but rarely follow a recipe exactly as written. There were no cookbooks in my grandmother's, aunts, or mother's homes when I was growing up. Odd now that I think about it.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I see many here do like I do. I don't use a recipe for cooking, I just cook. When I bake I use measured amounts but rarely follow a recipe exactly as written. There were no cookbooks in my grandmother's, aunts, or mother's homes when I was growing up. Odd now that I think about it.
I don't think it's odd at all, I have recipe books and recipes, but they are merely jumping off points, measuring is something I only do when I'm baking and it is necessary.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Potato/vegie bake

Microwave 2 large potatoes until done
Microwave or steam mixed frozen vegies (broccoli, cauliflower, kidney beans, garbonzo beans)

Cut up potatoes, put on plate, place vegies on top of pototoes, place cheddar cheese on top of vegies and put back in microwave until cheese melts. You can top with sour cream and chives if you want.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Yummy!!! These all sound good and very different from the kind of stuff I usually cook, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Its funny how I get tired of all of our favorite meals. Thank you all for sharing yours. We'll be trying them.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM

This is so super simple. We eat it when I really don't feel like cooking.

DH saw something like it in the Deli at a local market. i recreated it for a lot less than $7lb

I large can of chicken (sold like tuna is)
1 box stovetop stuffing
1 can green beans drained.

Put the stuff in a bowl adding the water and butter according to package. Drain the chicken and green beans. Add those to the bowl and stir everything. Microwave for 6 min. Easy and almost no clean up, which is a plus in my book.

Lynette
Old 01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Man, you can't beat a 6 min. meal :lol: And it sounds good too!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Enchiladas

Brown the ground beef add salsa and cumin.
place mixture into tortilla and roll, place a casserole dish that has been sprayed with pam. Line up as many as you want. If you have any leftover meat mixture, pour it over the top and add some salsa. Top with cheese.
If you have any left over you can add to the mixture black beans, onions peppers rice have worked well for me. Also any meat can be substituted; I have used pork, chicken and beef (steak and left over roast).
Heat at 400 until cheese is melted.

There are few things I will eat as leftovers this is one of my dishes for making a meal last for two.

Then you have the ‘Ol casserole special:
Noodles any you have in the kitchen, meat (again anything in the kitchen that is cooked and if it is not dice in brown with olive oil).
Frozen vegetables, mixed are great to keep on hand, can of cream (any type) soup and cheese.

The variations are endless. I have made mac and cheese and thrown chicken or ham added veg and there we go.
I could go on.

G
Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 PM

This was our FAST dinner on Volley Ball night: (until we got sick of it lol!!)
Brown 1# gr beef (gr turkey?) in stock pot
Add: 1 pkg dry onion soup mix
1 large can tomatoes (with liquid)
1 large pkg frozen mixed (or your choice) vegetables
2 cups water
s & p to taste
Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Serve with very hard rolls to soak up the yummy juice.
Enjoy!
Thanks for all the great suggestions.. Quilters gotta eat, too! As time permits lol
Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I usually make pizza. I always have those Boboli crusts or crusts by whoever makes them. They are always in the freezer and only take about 10 min to thaw. I buy the individual sized ones.
Once thawed, I "paint" the crust with olive oil.
Then chopped garlic goes on next. If you don't have fresh, use can use the stuff in a jar. That's what I use.
Then add whatever toppings you want. I usually have black olives, green olives, onions, broccoli, cawliflower (yup, I put that on there!)...usually whatever I find in the fridge.
Then I top it with some salt and pepper and whatever cheese I have hanging around.
They only take 10 min in the oven at 425, so quick and easy!
I'm not really a red sauce pizza person, so just using the olive oil and garlic works great! Last pizza I made, I had some feta cheese leftover. I put that on the top. Hubby LOVED it! I've also used salsa as a base and pesto too!
These pizzas are usually what I would survive on while hubby would be at sea or not home for dinner.