Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Sweet Potato Sriracha Spread

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590

    Sweet Potato Sriracha Spread

    OK...first...this is not my recipe. I got it from the Wickedhealthyfood.com site. It came along with a recipe for a crusty, eggplant sandwich that they have posted. I tried the whole recipe and it was all good, but the sweet potato spread was so different and amazing. They have quite a few interesting dishes in their new cookbook, so I had to order it. I expect it any day....fingers tapping, tapping, tapping.

    I'm just going to give you the general list of ingredients. It's good on its own, but a blank canvas. Personally, I would do some tweaking to it...maybe add some interesting spices, or maybe a little sweetener.

    1 baked sweet potato
    3 T Sriracha
    2 T olive oil
    2 T almond milk
    S&P to taste

    Blend in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Use on a sandwich, burger, whatever you want.

    ~ C

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    I am a big sweet potato fan and this looks delicious. I also went to their site and got a recipe for a sweet potato pie. I am considering buying their cookbook as well. Thanks for posting.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    Update - bought the cookbook.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    My book should be here in a few days. We'll have to try some of their recipes and compare notes here. :-)

    ~ C

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    Most definitely. We are trying to eat less meat so I am always looking for good recipes that will entice my
    reluctant DH to the idea of being vegetarian.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    My book arrived last night. I'm so excited to cook something out of it! It's a beautiful cookbook with hard cover and lots of great photos. I'll have to pour over it during my morning coffee and report back soon.

    ~ C

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    I was in the kitchen cooking yesterday. I tried a couple of recipes out of the Wicked Healthy cookbook. First one was Sloppy BBQ Jackfruit Sliders with Slaw, Sriracha Mayo, and Pickles. I didn't have slider buns, just regular hamburger buns. I also used bottled BBQ sauce, which the recipe gave as an option. It turned out good...really good. However, the huge amount of BBQ sauce wreaked havoc on my WW plan. Oh well.

    The second recipe that I tried was Spicy Coconut-Corn Crack. I'm not in love with the title, but OMG, this stew was amazing! The flavors were incredible! I had to make a couple of adjustments. First I didn't realize that I was out of Yukon Gold potatoes, so I used a sweet potato that had a firm, white flesh. Second, I went to grab an onion and found that the whole bag of onions that I had just bought 2 days prior, were rotten. Grrrrrr! Luckily, I had some green onions growing outside the door, so I substituted those. Both substitutions were very appropriate and really tasty. The broth is so unique and delicious! Thre's a little bit left that I'm gonna have for lunch.

    ~ C

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    I did make the sweet potato gratin. Unfortunately, I ended up cooking it too long and the sweet potatoes were more like mashed potatoes than layers. The sauce used in it was so so good. The recipe made more than needed for the sweet potatoes and we ended up using it on everything. I still really liked the gratin and ended up eating the rest of it. I too am on WW and admit I did not calculate the points for this. I am definitely going to try the recipes you mention. Thank you for writing about your experience with the recipes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW, MI
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    16
    I have the Fork over Knife book and a couple of cook books related to this. I call it a life change rather than diet because I eat as much as I want - just plant strong. Lost 10 lbs (need to loose more) but that's an added bonus because I just wanted to feel better and I do. I have to look up this book because I'm really not finding good recipes in these, just making mine up - which is working fine actually. Thanks for posting this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    I tried the Spicy Coconut Corn Crack and it was quite good. The WW points for the coconut milk were quite high. I used the full fat version, should have gotten the reduced fat. Have you had a chance to try any of the other recipes yet? Would love to hear your reviews.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Learning2Quilt View Post
    I tried the Spicy Coconut Corn Crack and it was quite good. The WW points for the coconut milk were quite high. I used the full fat version, should have gotten the reduced fat. Have you had a chance to try any of the other recipes yet? Would love to hear your reviews.
    Yeah...I used lite coconut milk, which lowered the points value a lot. It was still very good. I'm trying the Maitake Mushroom Steaks tonight. I had to start the recipe this morning, because I wanted them to marinate. The mushrooms smelled just like steak while they were cooking. Even my husband commented on it. I'll let you know how they taste. I'm going kinda Asian with my marinade and adding some WW "fried" rice and WW spicy green beans to the menu.

    FYI, you can find Maitake mushrooms in the produce section. They come wrapped in small cellophane bags and are in an area of other specialty mushrooms s/a enokes. They seem expensive, but it's not that bad, considering there is no meat in the recipe.

    I also tried the Banh Mi recipe. It was good too. I got a couple of my pieces of tofu a little dark. (Watch it carefully...it's easy to do.) I just sliced off the dark part and it tasted fine. I thought that the marinated carrots in it were very good. I added some cucumber, lettuce and other greens to make the sandwich more substantial. The ginger aoli was tasty, but kind of strong tasting. I'd add more mayo next time I used some light, crispy, deli rolls that you find sold in bulk around the bakery section. (Safeway.) I think that was worth going the extra mile for. The bun really makes it, IMHO.

    I've tried a few other things, but I can't think of them right now. I'll post about it later.

    ~ C

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    I have the Fork over Knife book and a couple of cook books related to this. I call it a life change rather than diet because I eat as much as I want - just plant strong. Lost 10 lbs (need to loose more) but that's an added bonus because I just wanted to feel better and I do. I have to look up this book because I'm really not finding good recipes in these, just making mine up - which is working fine actually. Thanks for posting this.
    Congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome! You're absolutely right. It IS a lifestyle change. WW (very similar to Knives Over Forks in their philosophy) really encourages you to think that way. It's amazing how much fruit and veggies you can eat when you cut out the other stuff. I'm mostly vegan (6 years) and have been on WW since January. I've lost 44 pounds so far. I look and feel sooooo much better. I'd never go back to my old way of eating now. What's wonderful, is that there are so many great vegan and low-fat recipes and cookbooks out there now.

    ~ C

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    Wow you are doing really well on WW, congratulations. I also have been on WW since January but have not doIne nearly as well. Lately it seems I will be down 1.5 lbs but the next week up .9. My problem are the sweets. I think that if I only have one bite it doesn't count as any points but I find that those bites add up in a day. I made a mushroom bourguignon the other day from the cookbook Nutritious Delicious that was very good. It used Portabello mushrooms and even my husband said he did not miss the meat. This cookbook is not vegan but has a lot of vegan recipes in it. I wish you well on your continued success with your lifestyle change and I hope to be inspired to do the same.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Learning2Quilt View Post
    Wow you are doing really well on WW, congratulations. I also have been on WW since January but have not doIne nearly as well. Lately it seems I will be down 1.5 lbs but the next week up .9. My problem are the sweets. I think that if I only have one bite it doesn't count as any points but I find that those bites add up in a day. I made a mushroom bourguignon the other day from the cookbook Nutritious Delicious that was very good. It used Portabello mushrooms and even my husband said he did not miss the meat. This cookbook is not vegan but has a lot of vegan recipes in it. I wish you well on your continued success with your lifestyle change and I hope to be inspired to do the same.
    Thanks...I have more to go before I reach reach goal, but I'm feeling pretty good about it, so far. I have to stay away from sweets and snacky foods. One bite leads to the whole bag..augh! I don't even bring them into the house. My husband doesn't care about them, so that makes it a lot easier. I'm finding that a lot of vegan recipes have a lot less points than their animal-based counterparts. That's a big help. Still, just because it's, "vegan," doesn't mean that its nutritious, or low-cal.

    I'm going to a tea tomorrow and all they are serving are finger sandwiches and lots of cakes and cookies. I don't know any of these people and it's pot luck, so I guess I'll have to try some of the food items to be polite. I think that there's going to be wine too. Yee gads! Lord help me!

    ~ C

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    We had the Maitake steaks last night...yummmmmm! They smell like barbequed steak. (I don't think that I've tasted steak in at least 7 years.) The first bite tastes like barbequed steak...and then comes the rich, mushroom flavor. You gotta try this one! I went with a lighter marinade, so the steak-mushroom taste wasn't covered up at all. This recipe is a keeper!

    ~ C

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Otisfield, Maine
    Posts
    49
    Oh, I will definitely give that a try, sounds delicious. What other cookbooks do you regularly use recipes from? I like your adventurousness in recipes. I made the potato and cauliflower soup and it was delicious. The cashews are an issue points wise but oh so good in many different applications.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW, MI
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome! You're absolutely right. It IS a lifestyle change. WW (very similar to Knives Over Forks in their philosophy) really encourages you to think that way. It's amazing how much fruit and veggies you can eat when you cut out the other stuff. I'm mostly vegan (6 years) and have been on WW since January. I've lost 44 pounds so far. I look and feel sooooo much better. I'd never go back to my old way of eating now. What's wonderful, is that there are so many great vegan and low-fat recipes and cookbooks out there now.

    ~ C
    Just an update - I'm still loving this life style. I tried this recipe 'Sweet Potato Siracha Spread'. I used only 1 tsp Siracha and this was perfect!!!!! Do you know the Spring magazine Forks over Knives is out? Just got it yesterday, but oh my - everything looks soooo good. Also, I got some 'Happy Salt' in Shipshewana and have been using about a dot on a lot of my food.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Darcyshannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    911
    I think I will try this sauce. We make sure to eat veggies with every meal. It can be done and they are tasty. We roast a lot of veggies.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    Just an update - I'm still loving this life style. I tried this recipe 'Sweet Potato Siracha Spread'. I used only 1 tsp Siracha and this was perfect!!!!! Do you know the Spring magazine Forks over Knives is out? Just got it yesterday, but oh my - everything looks soooo good. Also, I got some 'Happy Salt' in Shipshewana and have been using about a dot on a lot of my food.
    What is "happy salt?" Sounds intriguing.

    ~ C

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW, MI
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    What is "happy salt?" Sounds intriguing.

    ~ C
    'Happy Salt' is a seasoning salt that is different than any other. I got out the jar - ingr listed as "spices, dehydorated onion and garlic" and says it's distributed by Shipshewana Spice Co., PO BOx 1041, Warsaw, IN. I got mine at the E & S Store on the main street. I sure do use it a lot. I'm wanting to order the WickedHealthy Cook book, but some of their recipes I have looked at have measurements in gm mlgm and such - I'm still old school and go by Tbl and tsp. Has anyone found this to be a problem? Seems like a lot of you guys have ordered the cookbook - are you liking it?

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mendocino Coast, CA
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    'Happy Salt' is a seasoning salt that is different than any other. I got out the jar - ingr listed as "spices, dehydorated onion and garlic" and says it's distributed by Shipshewana Spice Co., PO BOx 1041, Warsaw, IN. I got mine at the E & S Store on the main street. I sure do use it a lot. I'm wanting to order the WickedHealthy Cook book, but some of their recipes I have looked at have measurements in gm mlgm and such - I'm still old school and go by Tbl and tsp. Has anyone found this to be a problem? Seems like a lot of you guys have ordered the cookbook - are you liking it?
    I'll have to try the salt...thanks. It has a great name, if nothing else...LOL.

    An inexpensive kitchen scale is a must, IMHO. Their cheap and easy to store in the gadgets drawer. I think that I paid about $10 for mine and use it all of the time. It's great for recipes written by bakers, since they use weight far more often than cups and tablespoons.

    I'm liking the cookbook. I don't love the website. It's too hard sell. But the recipes in the book are great. One of the authors was the head chef for Whole foods Market. He created many of the salad bar goodies that I'm a big fan of and some of those recipes are in the book. There's one for a wild rice salad that's pretty good. I also love their Maitake steaks recipe. I've replaced the maitakes for other mushrooms as well and they've all come out great. The key is how the mushrooms are weighted down when their seared.

    ~ C

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.