Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What's your favorite rhubarb recipe?

[quote=judith ann]I have been making this since 1972 when a friend gave me the recipe.Have shared the recipe with many. I always double the recipe.judy j

Your recipe is the same as the one I make and our family loves it. I usually make lots of extra and freeze in single serving portions so we have it in the winter for a nice treat that reminds us of summer.
    Ann in TN

Quote Originally Posted by Jagsd3
    Later I will go get out my recipe book... Rhubarb tea, Rhubarb Crunch, Rhubarb Strawberry jam, the list is endless.
    A couple of yeara ago I was given a Recipe book with many Rhubarb recipes... One of my favorites.
    Oh please would you? .... particularly the rhubarb tea, I am totally intrigued! Thank you!!

Banned
    rhubarb and strawberry crumble made with fresh fruit --------yummy.

My favorite recipe would be to leave it in the ground. As a G.R.I.T.S. I 'tasted' a strawberry/rubarb pie when we lived in Ohio. YUCH!!! Sorry folks, it was nasty.

G.R.I.T.S. = ???

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    G.R.I.T.S. = ???
    Girl Raised In The South!

Good one ... I was thinking Girl, and couldnt' come up with anything else.

Is my Canadian'ism showing? :)a

BTW ... rhubarb pie is THE best ... I think whomever made the one you had, just didn't have the how to down pat. Give it a try another time! Especially if it's Rhubarb Custard Pie! mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! :)

Sorry, I don't do custard either ... I'm a 'cream' pie gal myself. That's probably a southern thing too. However, the South seems to be 'divided' on whether you put whipped cream (my favorite) or meringue on top.

As to whether or not they made it correctly, it probably came from a grocery store bakery.

I am a Yankee married to a Southern boy and was introduced to rhubarb by his family in Nashville, TN. Have lived in NC and TN and we and the neighbors have all had rhubarb growing in their gardens. The family I got my start from for our home now was originally from Kentucky. I think rather than a regional thing it is just a matter of personal preference. I find a lot of strawberry rhubarb desserts at the church dinners. Ann in TN

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagsd3
    Later I will go get out my recipe book... Rhubarb tea, Rhubarb Crunch, Rhubarb Strawberry jam, the list is endless.
    A couple of yeara ago I was given a Recipe book with many Rhubarb recipes... One of my favorites.
    Oh please would you? .... particularly the rhubarb tea, I am totally intrigued! Thank you!!

The name of the Recipe book I have is:
    The Joy Of Rhubarb (the versatile summer delight)
    contains 244 pages of recipes
    By Theresa Millang

Rhubarb Tea
    8 Stalks Rhubarb
    8 Cups water
    1/2 C. granulated sugar or to taste

Bring water and rhubarb to boil in large saucepan. Reduce heat simmer 1 hour. Strain discarding pulp. Stir in sugar winto the hot liquid until dissolved.

Makes 6 servings

I never really cared for Strawberry Jam until a friend on mine shared this reciped her husband would always make:

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

6Cups cut up Rhubarb
    4 Cups sugar
    1 can Strawberry Pie Filling
    1 6 0z. pkg. Strawberry Jello
    Combine Rhubarb and sugar in large pan. Let set covered in large pan overnight.
    Next morning bring the mixture to a boil and boil 10 minutes. Add pie filling. Bring to a boil again. Add jello and stir until well mixed. Seal in jars wither with a waterbath or using wax or freezing. Makes about 8-9 small jars.

Ps I have also substituted the Strawberries for Raspberries or Blueberries or cherries. When changing I also changed the pie filling type and jello.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    My rhubarb is soon going to overtake my garden if I don't start using some of it. Anyone have a favorite recipe using rhubarb?
    JUST CLEANED RAW AND A LITTLE SALT YUM YUM.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weenween
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    My rhubarb is soon going to overtake my garden if I don't start using some of it. Anyone have a favorite recipe using rhubarb?
    JUST CLEANED RAW AND A LITTLE SALT YUM YUM.
    That is how we ate it 65 years ago..all the kids ran around with a salt shaker in their pocket, munching on neighborhood rhubarb..I agree, YUM!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3