Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What's in your tuna salad? >

What's in your tuna salad?

What's in your tuna salad?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Default What's in your tuna salad?

For several years now, I've only purchased white albacore instead of tuna as it seemed so fishy almost like cat food. I've had delicious tuna salad at ladies' luncheons, etc. that includes chopped apple, toasted pecans, cranberries, etc. What is your favorite combo? Many thanks in advance for yummy ideas.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

​I buy the chunk tuna in water. The way my family likes it is simply tuna, celery, green onions and miracle whip with whole wheat elbow macaroni.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 PM

I like the basic tuna salad. I also buy the chunk light tuna packed in water. I add chopped green onions, celery and Kosher dill pickles, stir that all together and then add the mayonnaise. Growing up my mom used sweet pickles but my DH doesn't care for sweet pickles and his mom used the dill pickles.

My SIL decided she likes it with an egg chopped in it - but I didn't care for it. A friend told me her mother used to add eggs when she was growing up - they had 12 kids - and it made the tuna salad go further.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:07 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I use only white albacore tuna in the packets, not cans. To me it tastes fresher than the canned. I put Dukes mayo, chopped celery, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in my tuna salad. Maybe some sweet pickles relish if I happen to have some.

Jan in VA
Old 09-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Duke's mayo, chopped onion and a little chow-chow (homemade sweet pickle relish) and whatever tuna in oil that is on sale. If there is celery in the fridge I use that instead of chow-chow.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM

I buy the tuna in envelope packages. Add celery, onion, mayo & served cold on whole wheat warm toast.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Salmon - tuna leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Other than that, chopped celery, relish, mustard, ketchup and Miracle Whip. If I have some bacon cooked and leftover, I will crumble that into it. Never raw onion as that also leaves an awful taste in my mouth. Never mayo because I don't like it.

I use the same set of ingredients with leftover chicken and pork My DH has to make his own tuna salad!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 PM

I use to love tuna salad, and pasta tuna salad; but a couple of times bit into a bone. And the last time opened the can and found a 2 inch bone laying right on top. That was it for me. I don't like biting into bones. I miss my tuna salads, but won't try it again.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 PM

We buy the Albacore tuna because it tastes like tuna. My husband likes sweet pickles, dijon mustard, horseradish, chopped egg and mayo in his tuna salad. I just like tuna and mayo and not very much of the mayo either just enough to bind it altogether.

I also use the albacore tuna in my tuna casserole.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:56 AM

My tuna salad is similar to what the others posted but now I am curious about finding a recipe with the ingredients you listed: cranberries etc. sounds yummy to me.