Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What's in your tuna salad? >

What's in your tuna salad?

What's in your tuna salad?

Old 09-09-2016, 04:29 AM

Wanabee, I think I was having a senior moment and was actually thinking of chicken salad with those ingredients. But I did want suggestions for tuna salad here.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:49 AM

When I empty out the juice in the tuna can I save it for Bess' dinner (mix it with the dog food). Salmon or tuna - no waste. I put onions, celery, Miracle Whip, chopped olives, radishes, a little pickle relish (either kind is ok), chopped up egg, pepper (green and black) and I get a special bread (artisan) walnut and cranberry - Is that ever good. Could eat that for every meal except breakfast - then I toast the bread and butter it! (My quota for salt for the day - worth every bite)! I always keep tuna on hand. Bess is happy too! Bess is my avatar and best buddy! Enjoy the day! Edie
Old 09-09-2016, 05:08 AM

Tuna salad? White albacore from a packet, chopped onion, Hellman's mayo, salt, pepper. Makes hubs happy.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Tuna Salad: Tuna, onion, celery, dill weed, Hellman's. Sometimes add sweet pickle relish and chopped hard boiled eggs.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:50 AM
mac

I just googled tuna salad with cranberries and there are a lot of recipes out there for it. Sounds like it would be a great choice.

My tuna salad is made with Best Foods, celery, little sweet gherkins (chopped up fine) and water packed albacore tuna. Really simple.

My friend always make hers with hard boiled eggs, which was okay, but I really don't like eggs with anything sweet like the gherkins. If you make it without the gherkins and only add the eggs, I find it too blah.

I think that the real important part of making tuna salad is leaving it to sit over night (in the fridge) and let the flavors meld. I think that I am going to make some now and leave it in the fridge for tomorrow. You all made me hungry.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Chopped water chestnuts, celery, onion and a little heavy on black pepper is one. Another is mixed with my home canned green tomato relish and fresh celery for crunch.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:00 PM

I use albacore tuna with three boiled, chopped eggs per can of tuna, a lot of chopped dill pickles and about 2/3 mayo with cracked black pepper and 1/3 mustard. Sometimes I substitute some sour cream for part of the mayo if I don't need to serve it right away.

Last edited by Slow2Sew; 09-09-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Tuna Salad a little mayo, Dijon mustard, chopped onion, dill weed, capers, celery salt, pepper. Sometimes add hard boiled egg, if I plan ahead. Not really crazy about the taste of canned tuna anymore, so I really try to spice it up. I run out of lunch ideas. My husband likes the sweeter style with the "whipped salad dressing" and sweet pickles. He makes his own and we don't share
Old 09-09-2016, 04:33 PM

White albacore, Hellman's Real or Duke's mayo, kosher dill pickles, dill weed, and a little Old Bay seasoning.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:15 PM

All this talk about making tuna salad makes me think about 2 times I had great tuna salad. Way, way, way 😄😄😄 back in college when a can of tuna was really cheap, we would just add mayo and cut up tomatoes. We didn't have refrigerators in our rooms in those days (not allowed) so we had to make and eat and the cut up tomatoes made the tuna go farther😄 And the night my son was born (2-14-1980 yes, Valentine's Day and also my,husband's birthday) the nurses brought me a tuna fish sandwich and a Coke and it was the best tasting sandwich ever! All this talk has got me thinking that maybe I need to get some tuna and make a good sandwich (I prefer toasted bread). I like pickle relish, not sure about the eggs. I've tried Duke's and just don't like the taste so I use Hellman's (same as Best Foods out west).

Sandy in Mooresville, NC