Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 AM

I heard about a husband who burned everything.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM

I wonder what
Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 AM

All of my sewing stuff will go to my daughter except for my tredle. That prize goes to my 5 1/2 yr old grandson. He has been amazed by every since I bought it and he's never seen it work. I think when he heard it doesn't require electicity it just facinated him. I promised him that I'd never sell it and that it was his machine. That and my antique bedroom set that he has loved since he was a baby. I collected the pieces separetly but the dressers and night stand all have marble tops on them. He loves them and I've told my daughter they belong to him. I already gave things to my oldest son that I wanted him to have. I didn't want to wait. I asked him one day what he would want and his words were only things that meant things to me; like my one of a kind oil paintings, an antique oval (used to be brass mirror) and I also included a set of antique candy and fruit dish that belonged to my grand mother. He's the only one of my kids that remembered her before she started getting mean as her age set in. I thought it was appropriate that he have it. That was proven this past year when his house caught fire and all was lost in his living room except for the candy/fruit dishes and the antique mirror from his grandmother. The funny part of it was that what saved his life was his dog whose name was Daisy, his other grandmothers name. My son never heard the smoke detecters but the dog started jumping up on the bed and woke up the whole house. So that night both of his grandmothers were looking out for him. One for his collectibles and the other for his life. Ironically, both grandmothers are sisters.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 AM

dd know how much my machines meen to me so i know she`ll see to them hoping dgd r dgs will step up and wont to learn
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
Gaga, There is an "Estate Sale" in our area tomorrow that belongs (d) to someone just like us. Check out "Estate sales" in the Syracuse Post Standard. It's just south of the village of Skaneateles. One sewing machine and tons of fabric, quilts, quilt squares, etc. I plan to attend, needless to say.
I have to say that I was stunned when I read this. What an 'honor' to be bequested with quilting!!! Gaga is one special, thoughtful quilter! (and she is so much fun on a road trip!!!)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tanyal View Post
i heard about a husband who burned everything.
aaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 AM

My husband said he would get a dumpster and get rid of my crafts, quilting, etc. I have since donated my crafts to the local nursing home (over $3000 worth) I have also donated some of my quilting kits, fabric to local nonprofit charities and received slips for my taxes. They have all been very happy with the donations. I have told my daughter to contact my friends to help with the disposal of items. If any of them want some let them have it. I have a grandson who made a quilt it took him 3 years to finish. He started at 15 and finished at 18. He is very proud of it and shows all his friends. I told him he can have one of my machines and any fabric and books that he wants. He said maybe, It seems strange that what us females have is junk but what the men have is treasures.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Mine would probably all be donated to the guild
Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Since I started this thread, I've learned a lot about us quilters. We are generous. So many of you want to donate your quilting items. How wonderful. And many of you want to pass it all down to whomever wants it. The only one in my family who would want some of it would be my daughter. But, she lives in a small one bedroom so my husband would have to put it all in one of our storage shed for years until she was ready for it and by that time, it would be out of date and maybe moth bitten. I have so much and my husband paid for so much of it, I'd have to have an estate sale. From what I've read, I think I should downsize now and just keep what I really want (which is everything) and donate the rest or have a yard sale this summer with the words "Quilter's dream yard sale" in my ad. I would have to put up flyers in the quilt shops within 75 miles of my home so quilters could get a good deal. I guess I'd sell my FQ for 75 cents and yards for $2.00. I have so many kits that cost so much, but I'd have to sell them for $20 or less. I would have to just "give away" all my quilting magazines and books. I don't think anyone would pay for them. I would sell my scissors for a couple of bucks each and my thread for 50 cents each. I'm not selling all my things. Just the ones I don't have to have. I have duplicate rulers I could sell for $2. I don't know. It has to be cheap enough for people to buy it, but I would want to make money on it also. But I'm afraid I'll spend the money I make on the yard sale onmore quilting items. Maybe I should go to a quilting guild (never been to one) and tell the women there that I'm down sizing and tell them they could have whatever they want as long as they really want it and will use it. That's probably the way to go. But to hear how our precious quilting rooms end up being a pain to our relatives, I don't want that. My sister died and her best friend and I went through all her stuff and took what we wanted and made piles to give to her friends. All the quilt blocks she made went to her daughter, who hasn't even opened the boxes and it's been 9 years. And her blocks were unbelievable. Hand quilting. Embroidered. We should have kept those for ourselves. We would have put the blocks together and made quilts. I thought her daughter would treasure her mom's handmade blocks, but I was wrong. I've offered to come down and go through the boxes with her so she could "see" what she has. But really, we never know what is going to happen to our stuff unless, like lots of you, make plans ahead of time. I think I need to do that. Keep the good stuff and have the yardsale and put a tag on everything left saying who it goes to. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by jcrow; 02-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 AM

This is the main reason I am determined to work from my stash as much as possible. My kids don't want my stuff so not sure what will happen to it. I have a few quilty friends, but they are old like me. My machines and furniture will probably be sold....fabric donated to a charitable group. I know I sure am not interested in buying much any more. Kind of takes a lot of the fun away.....!