Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I a meanie? >

Am I a meanie?

Am I a meanie?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 AM

It just amazes me how rude some folks can be now days.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by julier View Post
ask those rude bats when last they offered their spare bedrooms to the homeless. After all, they paid thousands of dollars for those empty rooms.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 AM

I think this is a wonderful idea.

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
The answer to the original question is "No" you are not mean.

To all quilters who don't want to be harassed by those seeking freebies:

Make a price-card ~

Customer buys the pattern, the fabric, and the thread.
Prices: Baby Quilt $350; Lap Quilt $400; Twin Quilt $500; Double Quilt $650; Queen Quilt $750; King Quilt $900.
Customer will pay in advance.
Customer will receive a finished quilt-top.
Customer is responsible for finding a longarm quilter to finish the quilt.

I guarantee you won't be bothered again after you hand them your nicely printed price list.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Even the ones I make for gifts are on MY schedule of when I feel like working on that particular quilt. Which is why sometimes they are two or three years "late". If someone wants a quilt they can look thru my stack of UFOs and pick one. But there's still no guarantee of time frame for getting it finished.
Ditto on that one...... I have two quilts (hand quilted)I've been working on for two years for both my daughters. They know they will get them as soon as they are finished. Meanwhile, I make cancer quilts, baby quilts and pillow cases for charity and anything else I take a notion to do
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Is it appropriate to comment on a person's stock investments and what they are planning with them? NO! This is the same kind of behavior. Your fabrics and your machines are among your investments. CONSIDER THE SOURCE was Mama's advice. The less you let these kind of people affect your life the better quality of life you'll have. Whatever happened to civility, good manners and good taste??
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Ditto to all the comments above! I learned the hard way that feeling obligated, even for pay, to make quilts takes a lot joy out of making quilts. It has become so easy to say no,! I make all kinds of quilts for my family, Quilts of Valor and some charity quilts. Every other year I ask my children/spouses/grandson what they would like me to make especially for them. It warms my heart to know how much they apprecaite my quilting. No, do not feel like a meanie when you say no. It is your machine and your time.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 AM

I love some of the answers. I have learned to say no myself and ignore hints. I am in the middle of packing to move and actually had someone ask me to fix something. Umm no my thread is packed. I felt bad for about 1 onehundredth of a second.
Quilts take time and money and you are perfectly right in saying no.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM

No, you aren't a meanie! I would simply tell her that you aren't in the business of making quilts. But just to get a feel for where she stands on how she would value your time, skills and cost of materials, ask her how much she is willing to pay.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?
I'm just curious as to how your spending "thousands" on your machine translates into any obligation to anyone who didn't pay for it...lol. I'd say "Sure, I would do that, and here is my price."
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

One thing to keep in mind, if someone calls, is to say, "I'm so glad you called, I have been wanting to ask if you would do (this or that) so and so for me. Gardening, house cleaning, picking up children from school or an activity. Perhaps we can work something out. You do this for me for a while and it will free up some time for me to do something for you. However, I will gladly purchase the cleaning supplies and you can purchase the fabric and thread. Sounds like a winner to me.