Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you still have your wedding dress? >

do you still have your wedding dress?

do you still have your wedding dress?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Yep, still have mine. Mine was a Civil War wedding and I have added ribbons to it or altered it when ever I wore it again. Been 15 years and thinking about selling it.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:56 PM

Yes. It is hanging in the original garment bag. I don't have the veil, though, since that was my "something borrowed" from my Matron of Honor. Her hubby and mine were roommates in collage and introduced us on a blind date, to which we each said, "No," at first. Guess it was meant to be anyway because we celebrated our 45th anniversary last May.
I recently came across the top of our wedding cade, my bouquet, and his boutoniere while cleaning.
Ah, the memories!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM

I made my wedding dress too, and the slip I wore under it, and I bought a lace mantilla and fashioned it into a veil. I don't know what happened to the slip, I still have the mantilla. When we separated, I dyed the dress red and gave it to the Goodwill!

My second marriage we went to the home of the local Justice of the Peace. I made a street dress out of a silky fabric with beautiful turquoise flowers on it. I don't know what happened to it, but the marriage is still going strong at nearly 35 years!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM

Yes, I have mine but the lace is so stiff and just yucky.. I should just toss it.. Perhaps dh already did..it wil be or would have been 45 years old next year.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Yep, still have mine in a box after 38 years. Our DD didn't want to use it as her style is so different from mine.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 PM

I still have mine. I have no children of my own so I offered it to my oldest niece for her wedding. She said Yes! so I'm pretty excited. The wedding is in March.

My husband's sister made the dress for me from 2 different patterns because I couldn't find one pattern in the style of dress I wanted. She did an amazing job. I did all the hand beading on the lace appliques and the beads in the roses on the waist and sleeves. The bead work was one thing I did that I really, truly enjoyed doing, but have never had the chance to do again. I'd bead a gown in a heartbeat if one of my nieces wanted it done.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Yes married 23 years- I had size 12 shoulders and a size 2 waist at the time- no one will ever wear it at that size without major adjustments
Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM

I have my wedding dress from 30 years ago. Mom & Dad didn't have a lot of money for a wedding so I tried to save as much as I could. I made my dress out of a simple but lovely sheer fabric. Underneath I made a camisol and slips. My great grandmother was a dressmaker in Germany and we have a large box full of lace that she made. I found a lovely wide dress bottom with matching lace yardage that I used on the cuffs. My mom had two lace appliques on her dress that were on her mom's dress and I had them on my dress as well as using the cap that Mom had made for her wedding. My dress was full of meaning and tradition and I loved it.

Recently my cousin was talking to my mom about the wedding and my mom commented on my dress, "Her dress wasn't as nice as some...you know she made it herself." My mom's dress looked like a nurses uniform, takes all kinds. LOL
Old 10-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Yes, I do and on Oct. 28 will be 44 years. My sister insisted I model it at our 25th wedding anniversary surprise party, but now my body is shaped differently and don't foresee getting into it on our 50th. lol I also still have my wood fiber rose bouquet, the centerpiece, table decorations and some napkins neatly in a box with my cake topper and engraved cake knife. My sister and daughter's used them for our surprise 25th. They even duplicated our wedding cake. Fun, fun.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 PM

my ex burned mine. ha. I had plans to make blessing clothing for the grandkids out of it, but oh well. somehow, it was not a big deal NOW, some of the other stuff he burned, it did bother me.