Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM

When our youngest daughter was married last September, I didn't want a dress that I'd wear only once, so I hit the racks at JC Penney and found one on sale for 40% off, and had lots of compliments on it. My new SIL's mom is not a shopper, but her sister offered to lend her one that she had worn only once, and Gail accepted. Both of us had a great time!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
My son is getting married Saturday! :-D I found a dress for $40--it's so simple--cap sleeves--gauzy kind of--layered a bit--green with purple flowers (gag on the flowers--but for $40....). The color green ended up being what the bridesmaids are wearing (so they can carry mixed bouquets of my dad's dayliles and have them match) but that's fine--the purple flowers will disrupt any ideas that I match them. :wink: I bought white flipflops to go with it. We're having a simple country wedding. The bride didn't care what I wore. :-D
I had to chuckle about your flipflops...Last September my DD's 'something blue' was a pair of new flipflops...and this was a church wedding! She decided she was going to be comfortable and enjoy herself...she and everyone else danced away the evening at their reception!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 AM

When my son got married the colors were Silver/Dark Blue. The mother of the bride wore Lavender and long....still shaking my head on that one. Anyhow, I searched for 6-7 months off and on and found a dark blue dress midcalf length with slightly beaded top. 95 dollars. I was Happy! Then this year I sold it to a friend to where to her son's wedding. Their main color was light teal.

If there is a David's Bridal near by - they put dresses on sale often and they are really good prices.

So who is to say what is right or wrong.

Oh and when my son called to say the grooms parents were to help pay for the honeymoon, I laughed and said not these parents. We are broke.

I am not one for convention. I wish you luck and if I had another dress I would send it to you! Just remember no matter what it is a happy day and you will look great!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 AM

Check out Bridal stores they usually have some really nice dresses on clearance. I know Rochester MN has some that have great sales. some of the places nearby also have them. Get a friend and make road trips.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

if you can make your own, why not do this: make a slim skirt, a sleeveless top and an open tunic-type jacket, in the same color or co-ordinating colors. use a decent quality, washable, silk-like fabric. finish everything off cleanly on the inside so you don't need a lining and everything moves nicely. after the wedding, do or do not shorten the skirt. i would just add another skirt in a different length and a pair of pants and have different outfits from that basic one.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Great ideas here I could make my own but do I want to? Not really the only bought-en dress I had before I got married was my wedding dress! I refused to let my mom make it! Do I regret that? You bet!!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM

If you have consignment shops in your area, that's a great place for high-end dresses that are usually worn once, twice if they go on a cruise :).
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

My mom got one at good will for $7.00, she matched the color of the wedding, and it is not just the brides day. God bless.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM

second hand stores? listings in the paper? Do you have some one that can sew for you?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

My son just got married May 1st . The wedding colors were Tenn orange and yellow . her mother wore a lng beige satin dress with a jacket... I wore a pale green with lace long gown. I paid 90.00 for the dress, close ot at local bridal shop. Check around and make sure you are comfortable :thumbup:

Oh and CONGRATS