Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
I have been reading the posts from quilters going through a slump. I am 72 years old and and experiencing insecure thoughts such as "why buy any more fabric", and "why start on a new project". I am losing my enthusiam because my age does not warrant a lot of time for the projects I have always wanted to do. Would the upper-age group quilters share their thoughts on this problem I am having.
am in severe heart failure but still buy a little as it gives me something to do, BUT plse make sure that you have detailed where it is all to go when you croak.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM

I recently met a lady who is 86 years old and has an unbelievable stash her family wanted her to get rid of. Instead of taking it all I sorted it out for her. I set aside projects waiting to be finished and encouraged her to finish one at a time. I will machine quilt them for her in exchange for all her unwanted fabrics. We are setting aside one day a week to quilt together and she says she is just so happy now since we started this. Can't wait to get started each morning. Sewing keeps her going. Don't give up what makes you happy.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM

You are an angle, I know you are really special in her eye and I so admire you for helping her with this.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Ihave a friend who just turned 100 yr young and she crochets doilies. She makes them for gifts for friends and family. Age is only a number.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM

i'm nearly 63. i have started rooting out and dredging all the things i've done, art-wise, through the years. i'm narrowing the focus to quilting, a smaller segment of art, and music. as we get older, the "end" seems to loom, sometimes. depression can be a part of aging, especially as our bodies start to betray us. my advice is to focus on a few smaller projects, but keep the spark alive. like so many have said, you could live to be 100! and if you can take joy in the fabric, and be happy doing things, keep at it! that's why god gives us family and friends--they are the ones who have to sort through the things we leave behind. it becomes a part of their process of grieving and celebrating our lives. (and if you can't shake the "downer" feeling, talk to your doctor. depression is a real thing that can be dealt with--it is NOT a sign of weakness or inability--it just is, and it can be treated. it can be a signal of other things going on in your body, so see it as a warning to be heeded!)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM

If you are 72 (younger then me) or 32, nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. So enjoy today, have fun. What is the alternative to getting older - death? Dang, now is the time to speak your mind. Ppl will forgive older folks a lot of straight talk. I did not quilt til I retired. My stash is huge. Lots of fabric to choose from. Between quilting and gardening I had to slow down a little. Some friends are bedridden and don't have that choice. I am loving every day.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM

I am 70, and am busier than ever. I am forever trying to get DH to start cleaning out our sheds (we were farmers) but he tells me "you never know when I might need that piece of iron to build or rpair something" so I am doing the same thing w/ my crochet and quilting projects, you never know when I might get that quilt finished. Having projects keeps my mind ACTIVE.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM

My cousin died at 62 and was an avid quilter. She had many, many unfinished projects that she never seemed to get to. Once she decided she had to finish them cancer took over and she past away. She has many great quilting friends that finished projects she had for the family. She procrastinated a lot and didn't enjoy what she could have accomplished. So quilt finish projects and enjoy!! It is better to enjoy life and not dwell on things that may not happen. I am 66 and lost my husband last year and quilting has been a life saver and the friends I have met. Keep on QUILTING!!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM

You are not alone. I am almost 63 but have had your same thoughts for a while about a lot of things. I think I am neurotic or anxious, probably both... lol. I just ignore those thoughts and do something fun even if I "run out of time". A person can "run out of time" when they are biologically young too. Concentrate on enjoying your day and doing what makes you happy.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 AM

I am 66 and crochet every day of my life and quilt or piece at least two hours a day. You've got to work on changing your attitude :) 72 is such a gift so you have to plan to use every day with doing something you love. Now, if you don't love quilting (and you didn't say you did), then find something you DO love. Doing and making things for others is what gives life meaning and so change your thoughts to how happy you can make others. This is what I have done:

Whenever there is a story of the death of a child in our local paper and there is one or more siblings who are left who are very young, I make them a quilt or crocheted blanket and find a way to get it to them. They don't need to know who I am; that is not what is important. It is for them and their parent(s) to know a stranger cares about them. Think about doing that. The joy you get knowng it was delivered is more than I can say. It gives every day of your life a reason for being. :)

Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
I'm 52 but, I spend a few days a week with a 91 year old woman who crochets for hours at
a time. Many blankets, scarves, etc. for charity and friends. It's hard to keep her supplied with yarn!
You probably have quite a few quilts left to make - better get started!