Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 AM

I worked in the Walmart Fabric Dept for at least 12 years. Before I retired from WM, the fabric dept was deleted. That was a huge mistake. Now the WM closest to me, has a very small fabric section. And, yes, it is hard to find someone to cut for you. There material is very high priced. I find myself going to JoAnns or Hobby Lobby they are the only fabric stores here. I will choose from on-line fabric sites.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM

I have learned to not go to Wally's on Tuesday morning if I am going to need customer service like paint or fabric, tires etc, because that is when they have dept head staff meetings and the only people on the floor are ill trained newbees and not many of them.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM

The management of Walmart stores isn't where blame should be placed for poor staffing. Corporate gives each store a preset number of hours of staffing for floor employees. The manager then distributes the hours. There will always be one or another department where there is no staffing. It is how they keep prices lower.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
The management of Walmart stores isn't where blame should be placed for poor staffing. Corporate gives each store a preset number of hours of staffing for floor employees. The manager then distributes the hours. There will always be one or another department where there is no staffing. It is how they keep prices lower.
I agree that it isn't the manager's fault that they aren't given enough staffing hours. BUT. . . They are the representative of the store and the corporation. When we are displeased with anything at any store, not just Walmart, these complaints should be taken to the manager. The floor employees usually get the brunt of it because they are the most visible. If you can't get satisfaction after talking with a floor employee, then you need to request a manager. The underpaid, overworked floor employees do not need to be yelled at or berated because we are dissatisfied with how our visit to the store is going. And it doesn't hurt after speaking with the manager that you call or send an email to the corporate level.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Just because the cashier sends you to the back to meet somebody to cut your fabric doesnt mean you need to do that. Stay at the cashier station and let them take the fabric back to cut it and bring it back up. Dont put your bolt up first, let her ring some stuff and then put the bolt up. Causes them to have to reverse the charges, etc to get you to move.

This is passive aggressive time not passive time. You need to cause them more grief than if they corrected the staffing issue. You were nice when you rang the bell, you were nice when you went for help. This is obviously a systemic problem. Now it is not nice time. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. You wanted the fabric back and you got it. If you want good service, you can get it but you dont get it by accepting poor service.

I know this sounds mean but my New Year's resolution was to not accept lousy service or poor quality merchandise.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Well said!!!

Originally Posted by seamstome View Post
Just because the cashier sends you to the back to meet somebody to cut your fabric doesnt mean you need to do that. Stay at the cashier station and let them take the fabric back to cut it and bring it back up. Dont put your bolt up first, let her ring some stuff and then put the bolt up. Causes them to have to reverse the charges, etc to get you to move.

This is passive aggressive time not passive time. You need to cause them more grief than if they corrected the staffing issue. You were nice when you rang the bell, you were nice when you went for help. This is obviously a systemic problem. Now it is not nice time. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. You wanted the fabric back and you got it. If you want good service, you can get it but you dont get it by accepting poor service.

I know this sounds mean but my New Year's resolution was to not accept lousy service or poor quality merchandise.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM

PS Just the other day I was at Joann's there was a problem at the checkout, actually a couple problems. I could have said that's alright but I didnt because it wasnt. I wasnt mean I just looked at them and agreed that it was messed up and not acceptable customer service. They offered a 20% discount on the order.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM

I wrote before on this subject. I need to say that My Wal Mart in OP Fl. Has to have the nicest people. I have never(not once) ever had a bad time in there. Fabric dept girls are just wonderful to me. Just feel sorry for people that have ever had a hard time with sales people.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM

My Walmart has their employees working in other areas also. They leave a sign on the cutting table that they are in the stationary/celebrations area and that you need to go to that area and search for them to cut your fabric. Not good for business. I went to high school with one of the ladies, and she's not happy with the situation either.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM

the fabric department in my local Wal-mart is back, however the department isn't staffed and the quality of fabric is worse than it was before the department was removed. I don't know why they even bothered to bring it back. Just my thoughts.
Sharon