Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 AM

You are so right. I wish I also had listened. So, I admit it, I have a Quilter's FabriCalc to figure out how much fabric I need (I always get 1/2 yard extra, just in case!).

I remember I worked at a flower shop and I gave this person her change back by counting it into her hand and she said "How did you do that?" So I told her, she could not understand what I had done to save her soul. Blows me away! Unfortunately, I think the schools and parents should have forbidden calculators for school work - we did! It worked! Too late now, I guess! Edie

Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 AM

This story needs to be sent to the headquarters of JoAnn's. Maybe a little weekly employee meeting for continued education would bring their sales up.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Banned

You could sent it to headquarters but I will tell you right now, that no one at HQ gives a shit if their employees know anything or not.
I use to work at JoAnn Fabric's until 4 days ago. They let me go because, they said that I had gotten 2 customer complaints in the past 2 months, which I was never told about at the time, and HQ said that at this time, they thought it in their best intrest, that I didn't work there anymore. I can't tell you just how many complaints I have gotten about the Store Manager. But because I didn't fall in with their "click", that was their way of getting rid of me. And I had worked there for over a year. I have worked with the public for over 40 years and NEVER had not one complaint against me. This was a first for me and let me tell you, it sure devistated me. So you see, that company don't care about anything but making money. I can't tell you how many employee's they have "stepped on" in the past year or so since I have been there. The older ones that know what they are doing and really care about their work, that company does not want working there. They only want the young ones that don't know anything so they can keep walking all over them and they don't know the difference.
But I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason.............
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 AM

I live outside Stevensville, Mt. We are 7 miles from town and 28 miles from Missoula.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 AM

Oh I don't have time to read all the comments, but I have to say, this was the funniest I've heard in a LONG time! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Can you imagine her co-workers (or manager) and she tells them about the strange old lady that came in thinking it was a grocery store and asking for ham!!! ROLMAO! - Now -- I have to go clean my screen off....I have to remember to NOT drink Pepsi at the computer.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM

ok I learned to use a sewing machine at 8...I am now 64...I have worked in factory sewing jobs...never ever heard the term ham till i just read it here...the crack from her about a grocery store is rude though...I would have said I don't know what that is . I will see if my joanns has one
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Store clerks usually get min wage and a lot of people work there for the fabric discount... A friend of my grandaughters got a job to learn more she may be on project runway some day, she just started design school in NY in sept...lucky girl
Attached Thumbnails attachment-3839.jpe  
Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by trupeach
I thought about this long and hard and if it was me I would go back and approch the same girl since you asked from dressmakes ham I would now ask where the quilters balogna is.
Peachy, everybody knows that is right here on this board, :lol:

That is so funny crashnquilt! I could have thought of it, but don't think I could have pulled it off. Man, I wish I had been there, but then, I would have gotten the same old lady treatment for PMSL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never looked quite my age, not bragging, just always been told I look younger...but I do have white hair. Hubby is 8 years older than me, and I have been given the seniors discount right along with him,
when I wasn't paying attention :shock: - :oops: - :mrgreen:
Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Thank you, Crashnquilt, for the biggest laugh of my day!

I spent several years working in fabric stores, and never would I have treated anyone to the clerk's condescension. Obviously she knew nothing of what you wanted. Let's hope her boss does, so the girl can ask for a little help (for herself) next time.

Thanks again for a great reason to laugh! :lol:
Old 10-31-2009, 02:28 PM

:lol: Thanks for a gut buster, you think fast on your feet I would have love to been there. I really needed a good laugh today.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Are you guys sure the girl was condescending OR just plain didn't know what a dressmaker's ham is????????? I took it that she didn't know! :shock: