Home made sanitary pads

Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I know several young woman who use them and LOVE them. There is soemthing in the absorbant material in disposable pads that make you bleed heavier, or so I have been told. The girls I know said they buy flannel shirts from the thrift store for less the $1 each and make them with that fabric. They like the dark color since they don't show up the stains. Some have a little pocket to add extra batting other say they have different thickness pads. They said about a dozen is a good number. They are expensive if you buy them but they cost penneys to make yourself. A blog I follow said she has had hers for several years and she is now going to make new ones. They do save lots of money. I wish I would have had them when I was younger think of all the fabric I could have bought with the money I saved.
There are also reusable tampons. They are made with 100% cotton yarn and crocheted. I am sure if you google it you can find directions for them.

I was going to suggest hillbilly housewife too.
It wasn't in the pads but the tampons. I think it was asbestos, and it would cause you to bleed more. They no longer contain that type of stuff though. Apparently it was one of the causes of toxic shock syndrome.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
There are disadvantages to being female! We leak!

I'm trying to think of a few advantages -

Anyone?
I've been told by many male friends they are envious of our boobs.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Not to share too much information, but I've been on birth control for quite a few years. For the few periods I had after getting off of them and before getting pregnant, I must say I thought I was going to bleed to death! I forgot how bad it was (pain and blood)! I joked with my husband that I was going to hemorrhage. :) Periods are much different and worse when not on the pill. I cannot think of anything fabric-wise that would absorb all of that!! Ugh! I use tampons.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 PM

i started my mens at 12, and never went less than 7 days, 6 were hard and heavy. at times i would 2 weeks. once to was 3 months. 2 pads and clots went around and through. at the end the first 3 to 4 days were spent in bed with my hips propped up on towels. i had several d-n-c's. the last dr that told me it did not have to be that way,,,i almost decked. then when i went through menopause a female dr could not understand why i wanted my periods to stop!
i can tell you, all md's are idiots!
phyllis nm
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 PM

years ago we ran hotels......we had one regular couple, he was indian. every month they would come to town when she was flowing. for tow or three days their sheets looked like they had a blood bath. [she was not his only wife, just the only one he brought to town. she was not indian.
phyllis nm
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 AM

Newly educated, here. I was born a hill gal and we were farm tenants and general laborers. We had the natural facilities outdoors until I was about 15. That was about the time the doctor had to 'start' my cycles. Never happened normally. I didn't have girlfriends nor sisters. Mother was very stern and didn't talk about things like that to me. SO, ignorantly I stumbled through life, making blunders, errrrrr I mean commiting faux pas! But, we did the natural thing and mother rolled rags, as she called it but I had to take a seperate pan to the pump and wash them out (outside of course) and then soak them in a dab of bleach and clear water. You know, I never knew where she stored them, but it was always on the shy when I asked her for one. AND I CANNOT RECALL calling it anything but THE ROLL. We moved to town by the time I was 16 and had an room in the house like the rest. I remember hanging clothes out and one of my neighbors said she never saw such organized and neat laundry. Never mentioned and items. We started buying the Modess brand at that time. But, the 'green' mode of thinking is just the most important thing in our lives today, or should be. Stop war and go green! You think that could be new slogan? But this board is a full education. Next you'll see it on the required reading list !!!! love y'all, Ruth
Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 AM

Confession! I got so mad at a woman once, she was argumentative, mean talking pushy and just down right deplorable and the use of four letter words was overdone. I told her she reminded me of a used kotex. Walked away. I thought my maw inlaw would wet her britches laughing. She said, well I've heard some mean talk, but you beat all!

forgiven,
Ruth
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 AM

Some things about the good ole days weren't that good. If I still needed them, I think I would still buy them. Some things are worth the money.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:48 AM

I guess this should be another 'thread', but the initials you gals use sometimes takes the giggle right out of me. I do not text and I sit and try to figure out the initials they put on the 'crawl' on the news. And now, I sit and try to figure out some of them here and forget what I'm reading.......so this time, I forgot the need to know for the nosey 'like' to read on. This has been the funniest item you've ever entertained me with. (forgive the dangling participle)

Blessings,
Ruth
Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

LOL, Mrs. Pete, you look so sweet in your picture, I cant picture you saying that, lol! You must have been so MAD, he he!