Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Wow! I usually don't read all the "pages" of each post, but found myself fascinated by all the ideas, confessions,humor, and sadness of this thread. I suffer from an addictive personality and if I'm interested in something, it's all or nothing at all! Arizona1, my heart goes out to you...fortunately, for me, I could never afford to drink, smoke or do drugs, but crafting was affordable until I discovered quilting. I had so much "stuff", and was so overwhelmed, it was easier for me to do nothing than dig in and finish something I had started. I prayed about it, and the Holy Spirit said to me..."You can do one thing, and do it well." So, the next day I gave away all my crafting supplies...brushes, surfaces, paints, and anything else associated with crafts, and didn't look back. Now, I'm overwhelmed by all the quilting UFO"s, etc...so I've started shopping from my stash...no 3 B's for me...I'll use what I have. I've got enough "kits" to last a while, and I did buy them because I wanted to make the project. The UFO's have priority...I love scrap quilts, and that is the majority so I can practice my FMQ on them and not worry. Love to bind so no prob there. Look upon your blessings as a way to help others less fortunate, and you will be blessed back. Hugs and prayers to you...emlee51
Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

I don't dislike doing bindings. I will be happy to help. Maybe this would help to get you started on your downsizing journey...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

I went thru a whole month without buyying anything related to quilting. When I got e-mails, I deleted them right away. It was very hard but I made it thru. Start one step at a time. If you have that many unfinished quilts donate some to a womens group. They might be able to finish them and make use of them. Limit yourself to maybe just 2 irons.
You need to let go. Keep your head up high. You can do it!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by merchjag
ah just go buy some more fabric- it'llmake you feel better-Hah
:)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:45 PM

actually, now that I have had time to think about it, I don't care if I am out of control some. I don't want to get too far out of control but a little is soooooo much fun! I am going to enjoy the ride as long as I can, that includes quilting/sewing :)

So I guess, my suggestion is "just enjoy"
Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaQuilts1
Hi Quilters,

After reading some of the recent posts about fabric addiction, I've come to realize I've hit rock bottom. Everywhere I look there are either quilts, PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) or fabrics of all persuasions. There are 7 sewing machines, multitudes of storage bins, cutters, threads, rulers, patterns, books and every notion ever concocted. I have scraps out the wazoo, there are bolts of backings, battings of all weights, interfactings, 8 irons and 4 ironing boards.

There are piles of quilts carefully covered with white sheets in 2 bedrooms. There are quilts rolled up behind the sofas and under the beds. Most of these quilts are unbound because I hate binding. The stacks amount to anywhere from 300-400 quilts, runners, placemats, table toppers, treeskirts and wall hangings. There is a huge bookshelf full of totes, small bags, checkbook covers and zipper pouches. The massive cabinets my DH built a few years ago are so overstuffed, I can't pull anything out without creating a fabric tsunami.

My computer contains links to hundreds of fabric e-stores, quilting blogs and pattern sites. I've signed up for newsletters and fabric ads to the point where I can't keep up with my mail. Every mail sent to me is a temptation. The mail carriers, UPS and Fed-X delivery people know me by name. The bank no longer calls and asks "is this your purchase from ______ (fill in the name of the fabric store) or did somebody get their hands on your credit card?"

I can't go on like this so I have decided to check myself into fabric rehab. I need to come up with a plan to regain my sanity.

So fellow quilters, I am going to count on your support as I go thru this journey. Any tips and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Finally, I hear you get fabric withdrawal symptoms that are very unflattering to otherwise mild-mannered quilters, so please bear with me.

Mary, proclaimed fabric addict.....July 16, 2011
Have you been in my house????? Sounds like it.... next time you come let me know & we can play
Old 07-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Hi Mary,
Here's a suggestion for you...find someone to place the finished projects on EBay for a percentage of the profit. Perhaps you can also approach some gift shops in your area and see if they will sell on consignment for you.

I did not read through all the replys so I don't know if anyone near you volunteered to help bind some of those quilts.

You are on your way to finding solutions, whether they come from suggestions on this site or from within yourself. You will succeed! Stay the course.

Is there a quilting saint you can call upon? Hmmmm, I'll have to check with some of my knowledgeable friends and I'll be sending you energy to stay on your path.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM

I love to do binding as much as I like making the quilt tops. My problem is that I don't like the quilting part. It was getting too expensive to send out every top I make so now I make tops, pass them off to another person in my group at the quilt shop to do the quilting, she then retuns them to me for binding, then off they go to one of the cancer clinics in town for the kemo patients. I love this idea. So find a friend or fellow quilter to do your bindings and know when you get them back they are ready to give to someone special
Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Well that sure is one addiction, I think maybe it is time to finish some of those quilts (bind them) and then offer them for sale. As they are all in piles around your home, what ever you get for them is more than you have now as sitting in piles around your home they are not producing anything but dust.

Failing that then I would suggest you start on step 1 -
sort into piles for removal from home, charity/gift giving/sale? and go from there, or you could go cold turkey :D

Good luck
Maybe1day
Old 07-17-2011, 04:16 PM

I think we are all in the same boat, and can use a great retreat to stimulate our finishing tools. I'm ready when you are.