Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? >

OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM
ns

And you have been married How Long?LOL.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
My husband says the same thing about my machine that i USE but what about his 800 dollar digital SLR camera that collects dust in the closet. Double standards they suck. He has also looked at crossbows and kayaks. I told him no they will just sit in the garage
Do you know that you can buy $2500 lens made for film cameras that had BETTER be able to fit on those $800 digitals, lol? You can buy a lot of fabric for that much money.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
My hubby said something once about burning all the books I have and don't need etc. I told him we'd start the fire with those baseball cards he has. He's never said another word.

Fair is fair.
My dh told me we needed to do a clean out of all MY extra stuff. I told him we'll start with the barn and shed where all HIS extra stuff is and he said ok. I asked when did he want to start and he said he'll let me know. Its been years and never another word. TILL he retired last year.....then he cleaned out my kitchen cupboards ( I was gone) and threw away stuff that I don't use every day. The next week I went to the barn and started tossing his stuff that I never have seen used into a pile (a burn pile ) hehehe. I knew I'd never burn anything of his but this set the example . He said he better leave homemaking things to me and left my stuff alone. He finally got a hobby now making camel-back trunks. hehehe My stuff is safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I heard ONCE: "and just HOW MANY sewing machines does a woman need in a lifetime?" To which my answer was: "Just HOW MANY power saws does a man need at one time?" Subject was closed. Funny how we always see what the other is doing but tend to forget about our own foibles. Enjoy your LA.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I got my long arm by looking at the corvette in the garage. We can't drive it often because: it's raining. It's going to rain. it might rain. it rained last week etc.
I told him that even if I quilted 5 quilts a year it would get used more that that car, and I wouldn't be paying for collision insurance to boot!
ehhhe...love it..
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Annette Searcy
One year my husband bought me a boat and motor for mother's day (I DO NOT fish.) I bought him a sewing machine for father's day. He didn't like it.
Bwahahah! LOVE IT!!

I'm lucky, my hubby fully supports what I do. I bought my pre-loved mid-arm & frame with money that came from having to sell my truck in my divorce (*pout* I still miss that truck), but I waffled on it for almost a week before honey said 'just buy it, you want it, you'll use it, just get it!'

I work from home as a part time contract bookkeeper, and I also have an online shop to sell my quilts (My own attempt at justification to myself over the cost of quilting). Neither one brings in much money. I get down on myself because my quilts aren't selling, every show I've done has been a bust, etc etc. I spent a week prepping a bunch of baby quilts for a show, and noone even looked. Hubby reminded me that everyone's being tighter with their dollar, and said instead of trying to figure out what quilts people want, just make the quilts *I* want. When they sell, they sell, and until then, just enjoy creating.

So, there you go: if you want to sell, sell. If you don't, just enjoy the process! I mean, why have such a time-consuming hobby if you don't enjoy it??
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM

When I wanted to pay $1400 for a used Bernina, my DH said that is an awfully lot of money ! But when we paid double that for a lawnmower that is only used once a week for 5 months and wears out after 10 years (if we are that lucky), that was okay. I think this is a man's point of view. I have told this story to many women and they all had their own story to tell.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM

As I was buying a new ruler for a project, my DH remarked "why do you need a new ruler, an inch is an inch?" To which I replied, "why do you have 40 different screw drivers to screw a screw, a screw is a screw?" To which the saleslady laughed out loud. I don't make comments about his Miata which only gets driven on nice cool days (we live in ETexas!)
I must be fair, however, he usually just lets me get whatever I want and doesn't make me justify it. I wonder if it is because he doesn't dare? I have worked since I was 17, through pregnancies, child raising, moving household(for his job), illness and everything else. Just did it. Now I am retired and while he sits and reads, I quilt. If I cook, he eats, if not, he scavenges. If I clean, he doesn't notice and if I don't ditto. So we are okay. Just don't let your DH's comments get you. Get what you need and quilt on!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Seems a lot of DHs need to be on lower pedestals.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Tell him he needs to give people paid boat rides while you're quilting for hire LOL
or cross bow lessons!

Enjoy your toy, you deserve it. :)