Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
There looks like a lot of spiders might have lived in the neighborhood for a while. There were about 7-8 dead ones inside the machine. They must have been happy there for a while. They weren't huge but they were certainly dead and crunchy. One was smoshed in one of the gear teeth.
Mostly I cleaned a lot of green grease out and replaced it. I took the brushes out and wiped them down but honestly I didn't see the wicks yet. I'm probably going to clean that area out again at some point but everything seemed to be getting to the right places.
Holy Cow. I gave up a machine once because of a live spider. He jumped out at me, I gave the machine back. A bunch of dead ones would likely have made DH an adoptive parent, and the garage its new home.

Where was the green grease? I would have thought that would be surrounding the wicks... unless you meant from the machine not the motor? http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2011/12/how...r-part-10.html

How about the commutator? clean it off? If not, that will likely make a noticeable difference if the machine was used any amount. http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2011/12/how...r-part-17.html
Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 PM

The wicks aren't with the brushes, they are under the 2 larger screw heads below the gear area. Someone greases the brushes on my 201, still in recovery!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 AM

Ah-ha! That explains it. I didn't take the motor off, just removed the cover and examined what I could. I'll have a look at the communicator again. It seemed clean. I think I wiped all that down with a cloth and put it back together. It looked clean to my eyes, but I'm not experienced with motors. I took the brushes out and wiped them down too, but they were clean/just slightly worn. I might get new ones just to see if it helps.
I cleaned the grease pots out with qtips, I didn't take out the area with the wicks. That's the area I would like to give more attention. The pots were shut closed and it took a minute, a penny would have been great (duh). I had put clean grease in the pots a few days before I had the sense to take off the balance wheel. That's where most of the green grease was but there was some clean stuff getting there, so I think the wicks might be working.
Nontheless, thank you! This gives me good ideas of what to look at next.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
You have time to sew??
Fortunately, I still have a part-time job at our little shop, and get to sew there as well as at home. I work 3-5 afternoons a week, and part of that includes sewing, mainly attaching embroidered patches, mending denim jeans, and hemming denim jeans. On those days, when lunch time arrives, I have to quit playing with my home machines and go to the shop. I’m kind of glad that they’re in two different locations so that I’m not tempted to keep on playing with my home toys.

Our High School Athletes have been fortunate the past few years at winning several District, Bi-District, and Regional Championships in several sports. I get to sew some of their patches onto the sleeves of their letter jackets from time to time using my 1944 Singer 29K70 patcher. I had two batches in this week, so yea, I get time to sew once in a while.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 2014-01-08-16.49.58.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Ah-ha! That explains it. I didn't take the motor off, just removed the cover and examined what I could. I'll have a look at the communicator again. It seemed clean. I think I wiped all that down with a cloth and put it back together. It looked clean to my eyes, but I'm not experienced with motors. I took the brushes out and wiped them down too, but they were clean/just slightly worn. I might get new ones just to see if it helps.
I cleaned the grease pots out with qtips, I didn't take out the area with the wicks. That's the area I would like to give more attention. The pots were shut closed and it took a minute, a penny would have been great (duh). I had put clean grease in the pots a few days before I had the sense to take off the balance wheel. That's where most of the green grease was but there was some clean stuff getting there, so I think the wicks might be working.
Nontheless, thank you! This gives me good ideas of what to look at next.
If the commutator looks good, it should look like a shiny new penny. copper colored. If it has streaks from the brushes, it could use a little help. I've even taken a pencil eraser to them for really minor work. Then there's the sandpaper and a drill method, then you can get more aggressive and go the undercutting step, but it's often not necessary.

How long were the brushes? I think it's 3/8" or something that they're supposed to be? I looked in the Service manual for the 201, and I didn't see it right off. I've seen these worn down to the springs though. I had one machine - complaint: "doesn't run", checked the brushes, there was a wafer thin piece of carbon still stuck to the springs. Uhhhh.... there's your problem.... so they'll run for a long time past the recommendation in the service manual.

Interestingly, I'm not sure how useful the wicks are for delivery in this system. It almost seems like they will impede it more than help it. As you saw, it's basically a goo fest at the worm gear...
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Just fiddling around, I finally got my old National Model J machine out to see what it might take to rig it up on my MUTT treadle. I put the flat top on the treadle stand that I had experimented with my 3-thread serger on a couple of years ago. It’s only got a belt slot cut in a solid top. The serger project still hasn’t materialized (belt path problems), and this one may not either. I just keep thinking that the Model J free arm might be a good darning treadle for jeans. I pulled the motors out of both the serger and free arm machines.

The base of the Model J will interfere with the belt path if I try to go straight on with it, so I’m now thinking that a surface-mount idler pulley setup might be something that I should consider. It could even be rigged up as a speed reducer/increaser for extra slow torque, or extra top speed either one. Several appliances could be powered on the flat top treadle other than sewing machines, such as a small grinder or small lathe. Speed conversion could come in handy for those applications, and having a top-mounted pulley could solve my belt path problems for the Model J and my Bernette 203 serger as well.

Maybe a couple of old handwheels sandwiched together on a shaft? I don’t know. A large handwheel might come in handy for hand-wheeling when it’s needed...... This is going to take some thinking.....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine251_06.jpg   machine436_06.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Way cool! I like that you recycled a treadle cabinet top too.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Brush caps are expensive. Grrrrr. I broke them both. Since I had to hijack them from my 15, I borrowed the brushes too. Now the 201 makes a different noise.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM

The bakelite ones? I thought we were talking about a 201-2? The bakelite ones are easy to break, yes. I think a dime should work in there too? The motor can sound different if you put the brushes in sideways (rotated 90 degrees, not width becomes length). They'll be scrubbing the points off. They should be oriented to match the curve of the armature. If they're oriented the same way, it's possible the curve of he armature is just a little different than the one you removed the brushes from. A sort of snapping sound, yes? This too shall pass.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Yes, we're talking about the 201-2. But I have a 15-91 as well. I'm swapping parts since these things are the same. At least, when I pull up the parts on sew classic they are listed for both machines. The brushes from the 15 are longer and less worn so I thought would give them a go. I'll fiddle further. The motor from the 15 comes right out and the 201 is sorta stuck, so I think it will stay put for now. I'll take a look at the brushes for directional curve. I guess those brush caps were bakelite, I've taken them off before but this time they just crumbled.

The 15 has a loooong way to go repair wise so it's not bothering the borrowing.

FREE Quilting Newsletter