"Weigh In"

Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Here is one thing my WW leader once told us. If you really do like to have a small dessert each day, add it in first thing in the morning. When you write down your daily points, put your dessert points on first. Say you have 20 points per day. When you just add up your food points and reach 20 after supper, you may be tempted to add on that dessert. But if you already have it added on, you won't be overeating. Does that make sense to you? I know what I mean, but can't write it right. The thing is, you are figuring it in for the day, you are not eating it in the morning, but the points are already figured in.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
Here is one thing my WW leader once told us. If you really do like to have a small dessert each day, add it in first thing in the morning. When you write down your daily points, put your dessert points on first. Say you have 20 points per day. When you just add up your food points and reach 20 after supper, you may be tempted to add on that dessert. But if you already have it added on, you won't be overeating. Does that make sense to you? I know what I mean, but can't write it right. The thing is, you are figuring it in for the day, you are not eating it in the morning, but the points are already figured in.
Yes you were very clear, and that is a great idea. In the evenings I am usually short on points. I always write down and add my snack points up each morning, I am going to start doing that with desert. It will keep me from going over so much.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 AM

I found this little ditty in a recent Weight Watchers Weekly newsletter.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake—3 points per serving
Prep time: 3 minutes, Serves 2

3/4 cup fat-free chocolate milk, chilled
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp reduced-fat peanut butter
1-1/4 cups ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender; cover and blend until smooth. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Originally Posted by BrendaB
Originally Posted by laparshall
Originally Posted by trupeach1
I'm still trying. Not doing too well, but trying.
There has to be something you are doing wrong. What program are you on? Or what are you doing? Let me know if you would like me to help you with a plan. :D :D
BrendaB: My guess is that you aren't doing anything wrong, but if what you are trying isn't working for you, it may be time to switch some things up. Are you drinking enough water? Are you keeping track of what you are eating, more importantly are you watching your portion sizes. Earlier JanRN mentioned portion sizes, I am definately going to work on that this week. Being on Weight Watchers you have to count everything and it is very easy to think that you know how much one cup is, but it does seem to grow in my bowl, so what used to be 1/2 is now 3/4. So when I measured it again, I found that I should maybe get out the measuring cup again and start using it again. And the pasta is so easy to over estimate the amount, because as Peach said, one cup sure doesn't look like much. Hang in there Brenda, you will figure out something that works for you.
Linda
You bring up some very good points, laparshall. When my stomach doesn't feel well, I drink Sprite, and I have to find a way to settle my stomach without all those empty calories. Today I have not had any and am back on water only and increase the amount of water I drink. That should help. At least it is a start. Thank you for caring enough to try to help me. :-) I appreciate it.
Celestial Seasonings Tummy Time. The herbs in that tea are great for it... it's minty though... but it's really good... but that ones hard to find... you can also use Sleepy Time Tea (Celestial Seasonings) as a tummy relaxer... OR you can add fennel seed to regular tea... it also works wonders on a colichy baby... not that my niece has had colich yet... but it's what mom gave my sister and I... it also works as a healing tea...

Also, are you stressed a lot of the time? That will affect your weight loss... the more stress the harder it is...
Thank you so much for all the great tips. I will definitely try the teas. If I can't find it at my local grocery store, I will order on-line. I can hardly wait to give it a try. :-) Yes, I do have a lot of stress in my life. I'm working on changing what I can, and letting go of what I can't change, but there is a lot I just won't get away from. I never thought about stress affecting weight loss, but it does make sense. I know exercise would help my overall well-being, but it is so hard because I'm in pain already. I am going to bite the bullet and try. Will let you know how it all comes together. Again, thank you so very much. :-)
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by janRN
I love these ideas!! Planning snacks is a great idea. I can certainly eat an entire bag of sour cream & onion chips in one sitting (and I don't mean a small bag) so I quit buying them. I got some pretzels and portion them into 100 cal bags so I grab them. But I'm also going to do that with veggies. Linda that was a "duh--why didn't I think of that" moment. The simplest things make the most sense.
Peach-I made pasta for dinner and only ate ONE CUP!! Next time I'm going to throw in some spinach (hate broccoli) cause it sounds so good and I don't eat enough veggies.
Ineal: hey!! You come first then the rest of life. If you don't eat right and take care of you, the other stuff won't matter. You can do it-get right back on track.
Great job and thanks again all of you. Remember: I am woman, hear me roar. We rock!!
JanRN, I'm so proud of you!!! You are doing great. I think I hear FQs calling your name. Can you hear them? I'm so happy for you. Like TruPeach, I'm doing the happy dance for you --dance-ouch-dance-ouch-ouch-dance LOL
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by laparshall
Tt our WW meeting on Thursday night there was a discussion about why you don't lose and in some cases you may even gain when you begin to work out. The leader shared a fact from a seminar she had gone to for WW last month. She said that when you work out, small slits/or tears in the muscle occur. That is normal, and the very reason you should alternate your workouts. ie, walk/jog every other day, core exercises on the other days. This gives your muscle a chance to heal. But her point was that the slits/tears in the muscle fill with water, and the body holds the water there. And you may see a plateau or worse yet, a weight gain. But eventually as the muscle strengthens it won't tear and there is no space for water to be retained.

There were several of us at the meeting that had experienced a weight gain after we were working our butts off and making sure we kept within our food points range and we were all starting to feel discouraged. Guess what, keep eating right, and keep on moving, because once you get past that certain point, you will see those pounds start melting away. Muscle burns calories faster too. So the more I build, the faster the fat will burn off. Once I passed that point and others there said the same thing, I had a few pretty big losses and now I am losing beween 1 and 2 pounds a week. I haven't had a gain in awhile, and if I happen to, I will know it is because I didn't keep track of what I was eating. My body is starting to show a bit of a waist once again. I keep looking at myself in the mirror and I can see the changes now, and the beginning of definition. And for me once I got that momentum going, I feel like this is getting easier. And summer is coming, so the outside activity is going to be easier.

By the way have I ever mentioned that my workout consists of walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day M,W,F, and doing core exercises for 20 minutes Tues, Weds, and sometimes on Saturday. So my TOTAL workout time for the week is only 2 1/2 hours. I am definately worth taking 2.5 hours of my time to get healthier and to feel better about myself.
Linda
You go girl!!! It is so great to hear all the progress you are making. Thanks for the information. It all helps. :-)
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

I love these ideas!! Planning snacks is a great idea. I can certainly eat an entire bag of sour cream & onion chips in one sitting (and I don't mean a small bag) so I quit buying them. I got some pretzels and portion them into 100 cal bags so I grab them. But I'm also going to do that with veggies. Linda that was a "duh--why didn't I think of that" moment. The simplest things make the most sense.
Peach-I made pasta for dinner and only ate ONE CUP!! Next time I'm going to throw in some spinach (hate broccoli) cause it sounds so good and I don't eat enough veggies.
Ineal: hey!! You come first then the rest of life. If you don't eat right and take care of you, the other stuff won't matter. You can do it-get right back on track.
Great job and thanks again all of you. Remember: I am woman, hear me roar. We rock!!
JanRN, I'm so proud of you!!! You are doing great. I think I hear FQs calling your name. Can you hear them? I'm so happy for you. Like TruPeach, I'm doing the happy dance for you --dance-ouch-dance-ouch-ouch-dance LOL
Lets go Brenda............. shake that booty, shake...... shake that booty.............!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
It makes perfect sense. Another great idea! Thank you. :-)
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

deleted
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Lets go Brenda............. shake that booty, shake...... shake that booty.............!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: