Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Sorry she didn't realize the time, expense and love that goes into quilting. My family cherishes anything I make.
Hopefully it will make some feel better to know that a lady at our church made all of her quilts completely by hand. She passed away a few years ago, and each year had donated a quilt to auction. Someone re-donated a quilt last year that they had bought years ago. That quilt brought $4500! Now that is appreciation of our art and love for that dear lady.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by pam1966
Yes, I got my feelings hurt. :roll: It was a remark that my SIL made. Bless her heart, she's pretty clueless, and I should consider the source, but it still upset me.

I was starting on a quilt for my mother. My SIL had come over to visit, and asked me what I was working on. So I told her. She then said to my dh, "At least she saves you money by making gifts!"

I didn't say a word. But what I wanted to say was....do you have any idea how much fabric costs nowadays? Not to mention all the time and effort that goes into this? I know you can trot on down to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a comforter set on sale, yes I understand that. But for the money that a lot of quilts have in them (not counting our "labor")...we could go out and buy something in five minutes.

I guess it hurt me more because she didn't even consider the fact that I'm making this as a gift....something that I've made myself. My dh told me not to worry about it, that she takes after his mother and blurts out things without even thinking.

I know all this, but it still bugs me. :lol:
People react to things by the way they were brought up or the times they grew up in. My Mom is 88 (now) and she never wanted anything handmade. When she grew up, poor people had to make every thing. So when you could afford to go out and buy something it, even though you COULD make it, it was more valuable. When I was growing up we bought everything and it had little value to me. She would give me money to go buy school clothes and I would come home with a pattern and material. I taught myself to sew on her machine, which she said she didn't know how to use. They were ugly but I didn't care. Then I started recycling and that led to quilting and other crafts. Now she is bedridden and has advanced dementia and I am her caregiver. We are only here a short time, don't waste it letting some fool hurt your feelings. Celebrate the day.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by cindy182
This happened to me by my dear MIL and SIL. Now that they have seen more quilts, my dear SIL keeps asking for one. I explained to her that I would not do a quilt for her because I would not want her offended by a "Cheap Homemade gift". Apparently, she was not pleased that I had used her own words for my reason not to do one. She finally went out a bought all her fabric for one, spent $150.00, and asked me to do it. I gave her a "How to Book". That was 10 years ago, still no quilt.
Holy Cow! YOu are AmZING!! ROFLMAO!!!
I personally love how you handled that...I did the same thing w/ my best friend....who still doesn't understand why I have never made her anything.
You rock!!!!!
I met up w/ non quilting friends the other, someone said to me..."Dee what have you been up to...your lil quilt thing?" and we hadn't even ordered lunch yet so I had to hold my tongue all through lunch...then upon departing everyone was inquiring how we were going to spend the rest of my day I said I was going home to milk the cows...I don't have any cows...they didn't get it. Oh well, I have all of you that do get it!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Send her an email explaining how much time and money goes into them and a website where hand made quilts are going for over $500 :thumbup:
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM

i've been there too. i use to cross-stitch and spent one month 6-8hrs a day working on 2 detailed kitchen cross stitch pictures for my mom. they were christmas gifts.[ i was really into it then] she opened them up that christmas evening and said why did you get me these??? i said i didn't get you these, i made them for YOU. oh and through them to the side. i didn't expect a cartwheel over them but not what she did. i went to the bathroom and my dad said a few words to her. my sister can buy her a cheezy ornament for the flower bed and it is gold.
i've learned to watch out for who knows what i make and who gets the gift in the future.
i DO feel your pain. that is why to get on line and come to your quilting family. we are here for you.
i've just joined but what i read everyone seams to be a wonderfull new family to come to. :thumbup:
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I have a friend who knows I make quilts and she has told me about her sister's MIL who made quilts all hand pieced and quilted. I don't know why this bothers me but it seems like a putdown.
I would think of this as just plain conversation, something you have in common. Maybe she understands we can't or don't want to all be hand quilters. I am proud to be a quilter, it's something I have wanted all my life.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Corky
She sounds like a nonquilter and a person who doesn't value handmade items from the heart. Don't let her bother you. At least you don't have to worry about ever making her one!! I actually thought at one time that my family didn't value my quilts (I have all boys) but then my son and his wife told me that they thought they would be getting a quilt for their wedding and that they were a bit disappointed that they didn't. Whoa! I am making them one now!! They like grey and brown, but that just doesn't pop for me... they really liked the black and white and gold one I made for my other son, but I can't repeat those colors.. hmm. I need something to put with the grey and brown that will zing.
I read your reply and remembered a pattern in batiks that caught my eye: http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6824.htm
Maybe you might like it, too.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by cindy182
This happened to me by my dear MIL and SIL. Now that they have seen more quilts, my dear SIL keeps asking for one. I explained to her that I would not do a quilt for her because I would not want her offended by a "Cheap Homemade gift". Apparently, she was not pleased that I had used her own words for my reason not to do one. She finally went out a bought all her fabric for one, spent $150.00, and asked me to do it. I gave her a "How to Book". That was 10 years ago, still no quilt.
You Go Girl!!! I wish I could think that fast. What a perfect way to respond. :thumbup:
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by ByThePiece
Originally Posted by pam1966
Yes, I got my feelings hurt. :roll: It was a remark that my SIL made. Bless her heart, she's pretty clueless, and I should consider the source, but it still upset me.

I was starting on a quilt for my mother. My SIL had come over to visit, and asked me what I was working on. So I told her. She then said to my dh, "At least she saves you money by making gifts!"

I didn't say a word. But what I wanted to say was....do you have any idea how much fabric costs nowadays? Not to mention all the time and effort that goes into this? I know you can trot on down to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a comforter set on sale, yes I understand that. But for the money that a lot of quilts have in them (not counting our "labor")...we could go out and buy something in five minutes.

I guess it hurt me more because she didn't even consider the fact that I'm making this as a gift....something that I've made myself. My dh told me not to worry about it, that she takes after his mother and blurts out things without even thinking.

I know all this, but it still bugs me. :lol:
People react to things by the way they were brought up or the times they grew up in. My Mom is 88 (now) and she never wanted anything handmade. When she grew up, poor people had to make every thing. So when you could afford to go out and buy something it, even though you COULD make it, it was more valuable. When I was growing up we bought everything and it had little value to me. She would give me money to go buy school clothes and I would come home with a pattern and material. I taught myself to sew on her machine, which she said she didn't know how to use. They were ugly but I didn't care. Then I started recycling and that led to quilting and other crafts. Now she is bedridden and has advanced dementia and I am her caregiver. We are only here a short time, don't waste it letting some fool hurt your feelings. Celebrate the day.
You brought up some very good points. I had not thought about this before. If we understand "why" people are rude, we can have more patience with them. I would hate to have a list of all the stupid things I have said over my lifetime. :oops:
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Gosh, I do enjoy reading all these from all of you. I do handpiecing and machine piecing, send some out to be quilted, and mosstly do hand quilting.Isnt it interesting that some people dont know the difference between piecing and quilting? jolo