Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Went to the surgeon yesterday, I have 2 pieces of "shrapnel" behind my nail. No surgery unless it becomes infected. I chipped the tip of the bone, and have a plastic splint to protect it while it heals. I love a surgeon who doesn't automatically cuts. He is more concerned about a blood clot where the bone is chipped. Also told me I have arthritis in the joints, told him I am 64 years old, and when it aches, I take aleve who doesn't have it at my age. Don't like pharmaceuticals very much. He also said no antibiotics, unless if becomes infected. Like this guy. We should have our own Hall of Valor for sewing body parts and for rotary self surgery. Thank you all for sharing, I thought you would have to be one brick short of a full load to sew body parts, but I am eating my words.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 AM

I've never done that, but was imagining it the other day, lots of pain I'm sure. Last Friday I cut deep into my index finger and also had an emergency room visit. That is twice for this finger so I can relate to the pain and hope you heal quickly.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Glad to hear the visit went well. now to recover. So here is a funny for you, last night I was at my quilting group trying to put up the design board for viewing our round robin quilts, and earlier I had put my seam ripper in my purse so I could fix a missewn block, well you guessed it, manuveuring the big design wall (8 x 8'), I hit my purse just right, no I did not think to put it down, and wham the seam ripper jammed right into my leg cutting me 1.25" and requiring five stitches and a tetnus shot. Yep, we are so good with our equipment. now I have to repair my pants, anyone want to do that for me?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM

That is good news.. So glad surgery is not needed!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sandraa
Never as bad as yours, just nicked mine. BUT, today I put new blade in rotary cutter and first cut, sliced open my right thumb.
Who knew quilting was so dangerous!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma
Glad to hear the visit went well. now to recover. So here is a funny for you, last night I was at my quilting group trying to put up the design board for viewing our round robin quilts, and earlier I had put my seam ripper in my purse so I could fix a missewn block, well you guessed it, manuveuring the big design wall (8 x 8'), I hit my purse just right, no I did not think to put it down, and wham the seam ripper jammed right into my leg cutting me 1.25" and requiring five stitches and a tetnus shot. Yep, we are so good with our equipment. now I have to repair my pants, anyone want to do that for me?
I never woulda thought a seam ripper could hurt you but now I know better!
Hope those pants weren't your favorites. I have a dislocated little finger in a splint so sorry, I'm of no use to you. :)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I try to read all the posts before I comment, but this one I can't. I still "feel the pain" of when I sewed my finger about 25 years ago and shivers run down my spine! It was around midnight--of course we had 4 kids under the age of 12 and lots to do on a dairy farm, only free time I had. Any way needle went through the nail and broke off. DH took me to the ER which was staffed with a grouchy old fellow. I told him there was still a piece in my finger--didn't beleive me, but I could feel it every time he poked and prodded. Finally numbed the finger and started cutting and low and behold a 1/4" piece in my finger--just as I thought. Still have scar tissue in the tip of this finger from where MD had to go searching. Oh shivers down my spine again!

Just saw your last post nhweaver. Don't you feel like the walking wounded? Hope all goes well with the finger.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:54 AM

Yes just like you in all my years of sewing wasjut sewing along and ouch right through the nail pulled a piece out but still had a piece in so off to the emergency room .The Dr. was n't sure he couldn't get it out but he finally did. the shot to numb it was worse than the needle going through.Hope you are doing good
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 AM

Hope things will be better soon take care
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 AM

I've just read all the posts. Wow and my group of Extreme Quilters were giggling as we remembered the nights of blood and pain. Once, the teacher(yours truly) while demonstrating how to safely open, cut, close, put down the cutter actually cut her own finger! Wow red-face. Two , student tried to do zig-zag st. with a 1/4 in. foot in place. Bang, broken needle piece stuck in eyelash. REAL scary. Glad she has trust in teacher(YT) and did not move or open eyes til washed off the offending piece, Three quilters, please put bags around the room not at your tables, or you may trip over. Of course! down she went! -bottle of salad dressing as ice pack to the knee lump. Leave? NoWay, still an hour of class left. and four- needle thru the finger as already related in a post. Whew, it's more dangerous than I thought.
Prayers for your recovery(s). Pegeth