Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who doesn't  want a long arm? What..... >

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What.....

Old 08-22-2011, 12:12 PM

I have one and the main reason I bought it is that I didn't want someone else finishing my tops. I tried FMQ and was a dismal failure at it. I love long-arming. I have a few customers but in our area we have LOTS of long-armers, so most of the customers were taken by the time I got my machine. It is alot of money to spend for a machine and it isn't for everybody.
Buckeye Rose, I can't imagine a quilter charging you $150 for basic stippling. However, I was just on another board and they were talking about pricing and I am 'way too low according to them.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Don't want one, don't have the space or the ambition to use one. I take my tops to a LA who does a great job even if she is still learning. She charges .015 cents per square inch. Sometimes I can't afford to take it to her and it hangs in the closet. It will get done eventually. The small stuff I quilt on my Janome 6600P.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I felt the same way until my DH surprised me with one. I could never justify the cost either but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I am so thrilled to have it!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?
I would love the challenge of learning to use one. (I know that I could learn at one of the LQS.) I don't have room for one. And most importantly, I don't have the funds to buy something that I don't know if I could handle it.

I have considered trying one of those little things that attach to a home sewing machine, but that too, seems to be one step out of the box too much for me. I'll just have to stick to stitching in the ditch and cross-hatching.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 PM

They have a wide price range. I have the HQ16 and it was $8700.00. The gammals sell between $15,000. and $40,000 something.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM

I love mine. Wouldn't quilt without it.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM

For those of you looking for a long-arm, I want to testify for the APQS machines. I have a Millenium and she is wonderful. Seldom ever have tension problems. The quilting on the back is just as good as the front. No computerized for me as I am pretty much a control freak. They have less costly machines and I really don't think that you could go wrong. Customer service is the best. I hate it when you buy something and then they no longer want to talk to you. APQS is definitely there for you. No connections to them I just feel that they have a wonderful product.;)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 PM

I would dearly love to have a long arm! But there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING wrong with not wanting one.

We all like doing different things in different ways!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM

5-6 six years back, I thought it would be a fun business. So my friends have one,Yes I have 2 friends, one is in business the other her and her family and friends use it. Mostly her daughter. anyway,I took a class and decided nope not for me. I would have to really build some muscle to run one of those, really hard on my arms and shoulders. legs back, all the pinning frogging at times. nope not me!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Montana Quilter
So just out of curiosity how much do longarms cost??
More than some vehicles. I'd rather have a car right now.