Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Guild Christmas Party Food Help Needed >

Guild Christmas Party Food Help Needed

Guild Christmas Party Food Help Needed

Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 PM

I am taking some Hawiian rolls, sliced ham & turkey lunch meat, avocado slices, bit of lettuce and tomatoes, with a bottle of mayo and mustard. Did it last year and it was a big hit. Got everything ready and pulled out of refer just before I left for the meeting, it stayed cold and pleanty long enough for dinner.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM

A cheese tray is usually pretty popular. Cheese is best, served at room temperature. You can serve it in cubes, with toothpicks, or in small slices, with an assortment of crackers.

Another idea is savory biscuits. Take your favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe and to the dry ingredients, add herbs, grated cheese (Parmesan and/or Romano), minced garlic . . . .

Last edited by Neesie; 11-30-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 PM

ok if you can get at the market some watermelon (odd time of year but go with me).. cube it in nice big bite pieces. You should be able to get precut? take a mixture of 1 cup water 1 cup sugar and two 1/2 inch slices of ginger, add one half package of mint leaves from the market. stems and all .. cook to boil two to three minutes. remove from heat cool. strain. drizzle about 1/3 a cup of the mixture plus minus to your taste over the watermelon gently toss. totally refreshing, totally cleansing of the palate and perfect for when your eating all those cheese/soup coated foods.. this is light and soo good .. trust me it wont last. break up a few fresh mint leaves over the melon to let your guests know it has a light mint taste to it. its wonderfully delicious. from Melissa Di Arabian on cooking channel. YOu cant go wrong and even in 'dec. its going to be not any more expensive than some big old dish with ten ingredients. a steal
Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 PM

That's what I bring. It's always a success and can be eaten as an appetizer, part of the meal or dessert.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks for some great ideas. I am going to see if I can get a watermelon.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 AM
BCM

Chinese slaw. Recipe found in "Winning Seasons" cookbook. A delightful change from the usual.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 AM

How about tiny hot dogs wrapped in biscuit dough. Good hot or cold.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 AM

My new favorite go-to is so simple it's ridiculous! Cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls & fresh basil on a toothpick & drizzled with balsamic vinegar. That's it! Totally delish and easy-peasy! Put in a container with a tight lid, as it will drip out. Just a nice refreshing burst of flavors and little work.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM

I love to take my Caramel Apple salad: Chop one large Granny Smith and one large Fuji apple into small chunks. Add peanuts (not boiled !), however many you like. Take Caramel ice cream topping or the caramel dip for apples and stir a huge tablespoon into the apples and peanuts. Fold Cool Whip into the apple mixture. Keep cold until you need it. This is a big hit each time I take it, tastes so good.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I vote this. So easy and can do ahead of time. Like even couple days.
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What I call pin wheels

Giant flour tortilla spread with very soft or whipped cream cheeses
sprinkle with cavandars all greek seasoning or your favorite blend
then pile up with favorite lunch meats, chopped onion, sliced tomatoes lettuce and peperinchinis
roll up then wrap with Saran wrap and refrigerate till it sets together at least 2 hours up to 24.
Remove from frige slice into pin wheels and serve we like them best at room tempature.