Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Leather thimble? >
  • Leather thimble?

• Leather thimble?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:46 PM

I was hoping to use those thimbles for applique, so I could still have the use of more of my fingers (I usually put my thimble on the middle finger, but I had a minor sewing accident & slit up under my fingernail. And I have a callus on my ring finger, so I thought the wrap-around thimbles would work great. Not so much).

Here's the thimble I usually use for applique & hand quilting. I really love it. I got it from JAF.
    http://www.joann.com/comfort-fit-thi...imble&start=24
    Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 AM

...well I emailed clover about that broken. Ring type thimble. Replied that it must have been defective, because that green string that held it together is supposed to stay put and I can return it for another, and now they offer two not three in their product pack, so that means this package of three I purchased at JAF was old stock, I did get it on clearance,,,fine with me....and I'm not going to bother sending back a thimble, although nice of them to offer....and I replied the same to them

About round metal thimbles and not " round" fingertips.....step on it lightly to make it more oval...will fit the finger much better..got that hint from an"old country" tailor once.......
    Old 07-14-2015, 04:39 AM

on modifying thimbles - I get hangnails a lot and they are painful under a thimble. I had DH drill a 3/8" hole into the side of one of metal thimbles to use when I have a hangnail.
    Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 AM

Thanks Peckish for your pic of what you recommend...........my fingers seem to be the only small thing on me....hee hee......calla
    Old 07-14-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    About round metal thimbles and not " round" fingertips.....step on it lightly to make it more oval...will fit the finger much better..got that hint from an"old country" tailor once.......
    I'd heard that also and tried it, but it didn't work that well for me. I have weird fingers. They're more triangular in shape, flat and wide on top, where the nail is, and then narrows to a point on the pads of my fingers. The leather ones work very well, because they mold to the shape of my weirdo fingers.
    Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM
    Power Poster

I'm with Peckish the leather thimble by Clover is the best. I just wish they lasted forever because I have to order them online, no LQS in my area carries them.
    Old 07-14-2015, 02:39 PM

I use a leather thimble called a "coin thimble" and I love it. It has a little metal disc that sits on the pad of the finger. It hugs the finger nice because that's the leather part but you can't wear through the metal like you can on the regular leather. I highly recommend it for those who like the leather.
    Old 07-14-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I hated those, they were worthless.

I've purchased just about every kind of thimble there is on the market. I really dislike the metal ones because they are so very round, and my fingers are NOT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525087[/ATTACH]

After trying all of them, this is the one I found worked the best for me. It's made by Clover and is leather. I've had it for about 3 years now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525088[/ATTACH]
    I just ordered one of these today. I hope I'm as happy with it as you are.
    Old 07-15-2015, 02:49 AM
    Power Poster

I have a leather thimble but it doesn't look like that one. Mine has the elastic and slips over the finger.
    Old 07-15-2015, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy
    I use a leather thimble called a "coin thimble" and I love it. It has a little metal disc that sits on the pad of the finger. It hugs the finger nice because that's the leather part but you can't wear through the metal like you can on the regular leather. I highly recommend it for those who like the leather.
    I have a "nice collection" of various thimbles I've tried over the years and this one is the one I really, really like the best, too. It's comfortable and wears well. JoAnn's usually has them.