Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-14-2010, 10:15 PM

Hope I have not confused you all but I am trying to get the templates the correct size. I have decided that the cd that came with the book has too many errors.
Today I did block73 as it is a very plain block using template 1 which measures from the print out 2.5 inches. If you look at the book you then add another the same size then similar to log cabin you do the rest of the block so I found that this works out at finished 2x4 is 8 inches whensewn plus the outer seam allowance. this looks ok but then I decided to try another block using template 1 that is block 26. This then has sets of triangular pieces which obviously make up to be a section the same size as template 5 so when these are then joined it 3 rows of 2 in blocks plus outer seam allowance. Just does not add up to me.. I am going to try the templates from the web site and see if I can make a difference. I dont mind if all my blocks are going to be 7 inches when sewn together but I am fiinding it hard to make the templates equate to the sizes required.
Thanks for listening..
Margaret
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Just thought you might like to see what I have done so far.

Block 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97425[/ATTACH]

Block 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97426[/ATTACH]

Block 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97427[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97420.jpe   attachment-97421.jpe   attachment-97422.jpe  
Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Just posted a picture of my 1st block on the photo forum/page and stopped by to inquire about why could be the reason of my block being off by 1/4. My final measurement is of: 6 1/2 by 6 1/4. My templates are fine I triple checked them before cutting fabric.... I'm thinking it has to be maybe when I was sewing
them ??? This is my very 1st time machine piecing 8-). I welcome any constructive criticism and upbuilding advice :wink:

Notice top is off by 1/4 of an inch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]97581[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97576.jpe  
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by My 1st Bambina
Just posted a picture of my 1st block on the photo forum/page and stopped by to inquire about why could be the reason of my block being off by 1/4. My final measurement is of: 6 1/2 by 6 1/4. My templates are fine I triple checked them before cutting fabric.... I'm thinking it has to be maybe when I was sewing
them ??? This is my very 1st time machine piecing 8-). I welcome any constructive criticism and upbuilding advice :wink:
I like to be a little generous cutting my piece sizes (very little!) because the more pieces and therefore more stitching involved, the more the final block seems to shrink, so obviously the stitching lines are a factor. I am not too generous with my seam allowance width either, so I can't blame that. Also, FYI, your plastic 6-1/2" template center markings should line up with the block center, both vertically & horizontally; in other words, the center 2" square should be in dead center of the ruler as you look through it, with the ruler markings corresponding to your seam lines. Am I making myself clear? In your photo, I can see through the transparent template that your center block is not centered with the ruler. If it were, your block would be a little short both top & bottom, probably 1/8" each.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
I like to be a little generous cutting my piece sizes (very little!) because the more pieces and therefore more stitching involved, the more the final block seems to shrink, so obviously the stitching lines are a factor. I am not too generous with my seam allowance width either, so I can't blame that. Also, FYI, your plastic 6-1/2" template center markings should line up with the block center, both vertically & horizontally; in other words, the center 2" square should be in dead center of the ruler as you look through it, with the ruler markings corresponding to your seam lines. Am I making myself clear? In your photo, I can see through the transparent template that your center block is not centered with the ruler. If it were, your block would be a little short both top & bottom, probably 1/8" each.
Thanks for the advice on the seam allowances and on how to use the template ruler ! I will keep it in mind and keep my eyes wide open :shock::-D when making the next one.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Margaret J
Hope I have not confused you all but I am trying to get the templates the correct size. I have decided that the cd that came with the book has too many errors.
Today I did block73 as it is a very plain block using template 1 which measures from the print out 2.5 inches. If you look at the book you then add another the same size then similar to log cabin you do the rest of the block so I found that this works out at finished 2x4 is 8 inches whensewn plus the outer seam allowance. this looks ok but then I decided to try another block using template 1 that is block 26. This then has sets of triangular pieces which obviously make up to be a section the same size as template 5 so when these are then joined it 3 rows of 2 in blocks plus outer seam allowance. Just does not add up to me.. I am going to try the templates from the web site and see if I can make a difference. I dont mind if all my blocks are going to be 7 inches when sewn together but I am fiinding it hard to make the templates equate to the sizes required.
Thanks for listening..
Margaret
Margaret, Block 73 does not call for Template 1. You are supposed to be using Template 4 which is a 2" square. Template 1 is a 2 1/2 inch square.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Also, on your block 26, the 8 triangular pieces which form the section you will join to Template 1, do not turn out to match Template 5 (a 3 1/2") square.

The 8 triangular pieces when joined, will be a 2 1/2 inch square, which will join up to your (Template 1) "2 1/2" square.

Just trying to help -- hope this is clear. :)
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 AM

Well I've read through all the posts here and must admit I'm a little nervous to get started.

I'm going to do the rotary cutting because I've never used templates before. Also I have never paper pieced but think some of the block would be easier done this way by reading the post.

I do have a dvd ordered on paper peicing so that will hopefully help me out.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 AM

Glad you have decided to join us. I think this will offer lots of new techniques and opportunity for many of us to grow and learn new things, I am looking forward to the paper piecing myself on some of these.
Muriel
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 AM

I have made a folder for the Farmer's Wife quilt.

Everytime I am reading through the post and see something that I think I will need to know down the road that will help me, I make a copy of it and put it in the folder. (Ex. websites, rotary cutting directions, quilt assistant software help, be sure and cut the basket handle on the bias, which is diagonal and I didn't know that until I read it here) things like that.

I'm sure it will come in handy down the road, and of course I'll still have plenty of questions as I go along.

Thought this idea might help someone else like me getting ready to start. It's hard to go back and find things on these pages because there are so many to go through.

Wish me luck.