Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 PM

What a delightful story. Good for you!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Chris, You ARE still are very smart man. I saw a woman (clerk) the other day in a knit shop with a crippled right hand. She had a kind of silver brace around her fingers, I guessed that the brace kept her fingers separated, but I am not sure. She was talking to her coworker and they were saying how many Cowel Neck Scarves they had knitted. I was truly impressed. It is amazing what we can do when we really try. The rest of us just take our ease of skill for granted. I am so proud of you and your courage. Another "hero" in my book. Good quilting and shame on anyone who doesn't treat you or any other male quilter with respect. Wish I could be there to help you. Yolanda
Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM

[
I am also a knitter. I learned about 40 years ago but lost the skill. About 5 years ago a new yarn shop opened in my town of La Grange, Illinois and I decided to take a knitting class. What a great experience that was. There were two of us women and one man. Yes! One man. He was a delight. He and his wife were teachers and he watched his wife knit for years and then decided he wanted to try it. The great thing about him was that he taught himself to knit to the right needle and then back to the left needle without turning his work. Amazing!!! I have tried to do that and there is no way.

Yolanda[/quote]

I had a Great Aunt that used to knit this way as well, as a kid it was fascinating to watch and over the years I have tried to master this skill but have never succeeded.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Hi sorry that you were treated like that. But I am female and have had bad services also. I don't go back to the shops where there service is like that. Some places have adult ed places that have classes that are much better and usually cheaper than the LQS..I have learned more from this site than anywhere else however. The people here are great and there are the tutorials that are really good if you have to see it done which really helps. I put them in a folder so I can see them at my leisure and also I can start over and watch it as many times as it takes. I hate feeling like I am pestering someone when I don't always get it the first time. Welcome to the board where you'll find alot of help. while I am here thanks everyone.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM

It's too bad Rosie Grier isn't still around. He was that famous pro football player who took up needle-point, and not very many people dared to 'needle' him about it. Why not try a google search for male quilters + your area (city or county) and see what pops up. Or, some quilt shops have bulletin boards where you can place ads...put a short note up asking for male quilters who might like to join a 'guys group'. I'd love to be around some male quilters; they have such a different take on art and composition and it's always a unique learning experience that just doesn't happen with just us gals.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM

HI Chris - - - - just glad to have another quilter on board - - I know "nothing" but will help all - Sorry that you feel slighted - chin up !!!!! this is a great board to air and learn from!!!! WELCOME!!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 AM

I would had given anything if my husband would had taken a small interest in my quilting hobby. We were total opposites though. He was an old hippie, heavy metal, all sports, loved drinking and so on. Me, more layed back, Southern Gospel music (& other mild stuff), more like the home maker type but also worked. We got along ok but really nothing of interest. I'm alone and seperated for 6 years, we still talk but now he has his friends and I have my dogs and grandkids. A man that quilts is truely a good man, besides who say hobbys have to be labled for man or woman? Heck my Husband was a welder, the best around and he taught me what he knew. Now there are John Deere tractors running around somewhere with parts that I've welded! To each his own! Live and let live, and anything else you can think of!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM

I went o my Lqs the other day. I was feeling that I needed a treat. They give you a card with punch outs and when you fill it up you get a $25 freebe. I thought I would buy enough to fill up the card and collect my reward. When I checked out, I asked the lady if she gave me my reward. She looked at me with suspish eyes and said,as she pointed to the fine print at bottom of card, that is for your NEXT purchase. I said,"Awwww, I thought I was going to get a prize today!" Still looking at me that way she repeated, with your next purchase. I said "well, ok. I thought I was going to get it today." She really wasn't very friendly. I guess she just thought I was wierd. I have noticed this ladys unfriendliness before. Then I found out she is the owner of the shop. I guess she thought I was to eager to get something "for nothing". Ha! Actually I had to spend $225 to get something for nothing. The other ladies in the shop are way friendlier than she is. I always try to have someone else wait on me. It's nike like she is the only shop in town. There are two more. These shops are in the big town 15 miles away. The shop here in my little town is not really very friendly either. When I go over there the lady and her husband are there working at the back of the shop but never call out a greeting or anything untill you have been in there for 15 or 20 minutes. She told me when she opened this shop that she had to make it work and she has been here 7 years. But then I have been hearing from other quilters in my little town that she and her husband are hardly ever in the shop. They hire one person to be at the shop. I don't know....it is hard to stay in business in this little town and she should really be more interested in making her shop a pleasant place . I don't know her money situtation but I have had several business in this town and know that you have to stay on top of things or your customers will dissappear in a heart beat!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Hi Chris, sorry for the way you were treated. You will find a place that will accept you. Just keep trying. Please don't give up. I have problems with reading instructions sometimes, I am more of a visual person. When I have a problem I go to my local Joann's in Taylor, MI where they have quilting classes and club. Gloria there is the best instructor and has helped me tremendously. The Quilting Board has also helped more than they all know, with their tutorials and suggestions. I am just starting to help my 2 grandsons ages 9 and 12 to quilt. The 12 yr old has his quilt squares on the design wall at this time. I can't believe how well he can see, and understand color, and coordination of the different color blocks. Another grandson is 14 and made a rag quilt during the summer at camp. I will teach them whatever I can, as long as they want to learn to quilt. Hopefully there will be 3 more young men in the quilting world in the future. :D :D :D
Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 PM

As I mentioned in a previous post my parents were intuitive, and we were brought up thinking all PEOPLE were equal. As I grew older was very aware of the steroetype situation, I suppose because I did things that "normal" girls just didn't do, then there was "burn the bra" and "Womens Lib." which has made it easier for women in this world, but what about the poor male of the species, next it will be "burn the Jockstrap" and "Mens Lib.". I think this pendulum to equality will swing less each time, but true equality I don't think will happen in my lifetime.