Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Pam, a friend?? If anyone tagged my backside on Facebook, I'd call them something else.
DITTO!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by AmyG
Xylie~thank you so much for the encouragement! I am doing pretty good this week. I've lost two pounds, adding exercise has been great. Had to use my machine yesterday to walk b/c it rained. Thank the good Lord~we are still over 15" short for this year. Everything is so dry. But I did walk for 20 minutes and burned 218 calories. WooHoo We have our treadmill in our son's gameroom so we can talk to him or watch TV while we sweat :) so while I was waling they were playing a video game. DH hasn't lost this week and I have. What's our lesson here?!
I am very thankful I have found ya'll. Everyone is so encouraging and seem to truly care. Thanks bunches! Off to do more studying for my tests on Saturday.

I am a loser ;)
Amy
Congrats on your 2# loss this week! Our drought is bad like yours. Heard on the 4th that we are almost 17" below normal. Wish el Nino or what ever is messing up our weather would go away!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Leann, I know nothing about such things, but would a bicycle be better for your knees? Keep the motion, but lessen the weight bearing. I know I spent hours on my stationary bike when I was learning to walk after my fusions. My Physical Therapist was a fan of stationary bikes. I just gave away my big Schwinn AirDyne. It took up too much space that I needed for sewing machines.

Still making four patches in Jewel tones. I'd love to be doing a bargello.

My granddaughter cut my hair today. Now I can't find my haircolor. Where did I put it? How much weight can I lose by Saturday? Actually my dress is the same one from a grandson's wedding in March and it's very forgiving. The color's not great for me, but you can't have everything unless you make it yourself.

Per MJ today: How am I doing with my water? Great. On days I see my chiropractor/kinesiologist, I need lots of water for my muscles. Do you think tea and coffee count? Once upon a time the health industry said no, now it's yes. I hope so.

I am losing weight, getting healthier and taking control.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
ah, xylie, that's me in a nutshell! i don't eat. no, i mean, i used to not eat. i am working very hard to be sure i do eat. at times i have slipped into an anorexic mode, where i literally can't swallow food. this has happened 5 times in my life. i existed on diet cokes and coffee. i would deliberately find fault with food that was served to me, and would not make food for myself, so i wouldn't eat. i'm 5'6" and have gotten down to 125. friends would say i was too thin, but i could still see the rolls of "fat". this time is the last time i'm going to lose weight because this time i am changing my outlook and my behavior. like a lot of people on here i have physical challenges, emotional challenges, that's called life. no one gets out alive! or unscarred! over my sixty years i have lost the combined weights of my three children and my husband. sadly, that means i have at some point gained those weights, too.
right now my emotional issues are fear and anger. i am afraid my husband will die before me altho' he promised not to. but he is recovering from pancreatic cancer, and that is rare. most do not have that opportunity. i am afraid someone will come to my house and discover i'm not a housekeeper and judge me based on that. i am terrified someone will realize i've been faking it all my life and i really don't know anything. i am furious with my husband for moving me here with no discussion and no warning. and i am angry that in a place this large there is no one to befriend me. i have tried and evidently failed to form relationships with people around me and they all seem to be happy with the friends they have and don't need or want any new ones.
i am purposely showing all (or some) of my warts. i'm far from perfect, but i'm also far from evil. to change the title of beyonce's new song , right now (and for the past 9 yrs) "it sucks to be me! this board has pulled me out of a deep depressive hole. i have people to talk to and relate to here. i have a new hobby to keep my mind and hands busy. i feel connected to something outside my home. thank you for that! thank you for the encouragement and friendship. none of us care about what anyone on here looks like. we are totally colorblind and prejudice free. i try to be that way in "real" life, too. here we are blind to the physical world and judge each other by our words. any one of us could lie and say we lost 20 lbs, and no one would question it. we accept each other as honest and honorable. as far as i can tell we're the closest thing to unconditional as i have found outside of family and dearest friends. do we all understand how amazing and wonderful that is?
it's not easy to put all this out there in front of you. it's very scary that i might be wrong and you will tell me to get lost or "kick" me off the board. but i'm trusting that you won't and you will understand what i'm telling you, and look into your own lives and discover what is making you fat and unhappy and angry. and THROW IT OUT, and OUT of your life. you will feel so much better.
Nancia, what a brave post and I wanna know how you got into my soul? Like you, I do not 'like' where I live, altho I always bloom where I'm planted. I am too far away from my parents & daughter's family and when Josh graduates next year, we will be even further away when we return to the Pacific NW. (another area I LOVE) I am constantly battling eating from the loneliness. When I lived in the same town as my family, I could see them every day and it not be enough. I am married to a very good man who adores me and whom I love sharing my time with. Such is life for me.

I tend to NOT make friends in an area because I know we won't be there long. Cyber friends come & go - which hurts because I get too attached, so I am learning to distance myself.

They'll have to throw me off the Board too.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I have BIG news!!

I went for my first fill today and I have lost another 9 pounds for a grand total of 110 pounds!!!! YAYAYAYAY!!!

Today is going to be a mushy food day since I got the fill. He put 3 cc of fluid in my band. That is a good amount and it feels good to not be experiencing hunger.

I love what Nancia wrote a few minutes ago..."I am losing weight. I am gaining control." LOVE IT!!!

I hope everyone is doing great today!!

Missy
Missy, that is wonderful news! I can feel your excitement!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Leann, I know nothing about such things, but would a bicycle be better for your knees? Keep the motion, but lessen the weight bearing. I know I spent hours on my stationary bike when I was learning to walk after my fusions. My Physical Therapist was a fan of stationary bikes. I just gave away my big Schwinn AirDyne. It took up too much space that I needed for sewing machines.

Still making four patches in Jewel tones. I'd love to be doing a bargello.

My granddaughter cut my hair today. Now I can't find my haircolor. Where did I put it? How much weight can I lose by Saturday? Actually my dress is the same one from a grandson's wedding in March and it's very forgiving. The color's not great for me, but you can't have everything unless you make it yourself.

Per MJ today: How am I doing with my water? Great. On days I see my chiropractor/kinesiologist, I need lots of water for my muscles. Do you think tea and coffee count? Once upon a time the health industry said no, now it's yes. I hope so.

I am losing weight, getting healthier and taking control.
Irish, actually, we are avid bike riders when the weather is cooler. Lately, I've had trouble getting on my bike. I'll have to return to my younger days when I got on it and situated before it begins rolling.

I am gonna have to re-do one of my strips that is way-wrong, and then I'm gonna join those strips. Maybe tomorrow.

Goodnight all. My parents sent me some slinky bath stuff and I'm gonna soak in the tub for a while.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

On days I see my chiropractor/kinesiologist, I need lots of water for my muscles. Do you think tea and coffee count? Once upon a time the health industry said no, now it's yes. I hope so.
I know some say that water is water and doesn't include soda, tea, coffee or even flavored waters but I say when you go the bathroom is your urine a very pale straw-yellow color to clear? Then you are getting enough liquids.

I've read recently that now some are including foods that have high water content and maybe we don't really need 8 glasses of water. I personaly add one of those flavor packets for 1 bottle of water into a 2 quart container with water just to give a hint of flavor and then fill my giant quart mug with ice and drink my 2 quarts all afternoon- evening...I guess my bladder is getting used to it because I dont' get up as often in the middle of the night to go potty....
Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Leann, where are you in Texas. I will be in the Austin area for the winter. I have worked very hard for the last 5 years to make friends in Texas. It's really difficult when you are only there part of the year. This summer 3 of my friends are moving away. It stinks!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Well I got up this morning early and went grocery shopping. I've thought about doing the frozen dinners like has been suggested on this board, but I have two young boys and I want them to learn how to cook and eat right. I've been trying to find the will power to make a meal plan and try and stick with it! Maybe this next payday I can do it. I'll start preparing it now.

I'm going to get up early again tomorrow and do my lifting. I've missed it something fierce. I notice more loss when I'm doing the lifting then I do with just the cardio. I think that's why I didn't loose anything last month, I wasn't lifting.

This month I'm trying to learn to live with my husband. I know that sounds funny, but he's active duty military and at his last base was only home 3-6 days per month. Now he's been home for almost 6 weeks straight and we're about ready to have a big blow out fight! Over stupid stuff we both know, but we haven't had to actually live together so it's a huge adjustment. Glad we're working our way down to living together full time before he gets out! I'd hate to be going through this transition in 10 years! He's going on a short trip soon so we'll get our breather and be back on track.

When we are this way I get so stressed, I find I shut down and eat, and eat and eat, and then forget or neglect to move and I know that's where my weight gains come in. Working hard to get control of it and move whether he's here or not!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM

pnptrapp, I overheard my son giving his sister weight loss tips for her time at the Y almost every day. He emphasized that she had to lift weights. Three sets with a short rest between each. If she can't complete the reps on the third set, then she has the right weight and # of reps for her. He recommended a warm up on the bike and a cool down on the same for her. He knows she has heart issues. He's the person who discovered the first one. He also told her to skip the cardio totally if she's pressed for time, but I'm not sure about that.

createfourpaws, thank you for sharing your story. One of these days I'll give it a shot, but I'm so old it'll take a page. We do a share a common denominator of the past twenty years being the problem - not a life long thing.

Back to the slave quarters. I am enjoying having my three machines, cutting table and ironing board all together. I'm using two machines tonight. One has a 1/4" guide on it so I have another set up for making the HSTs. Problem is one threads from the front and one from the left. One had a foot pedal and one a knee controller. A person with a reversal problem should not be trying to do this. Makes life interesting.

I AM losing weight.

Edit: :thumbup: Missy