Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 07-08-2020, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Thank you friends!!! I love the comments
It was so bad I couldn't find a thing but now it looks awesome!!!!! I really want to change my sloppy habits and rein in my spending.
Teen, yes I'm having a blast making things for my little girl! And especially since all my kids are boys it's fun to have a girl to sew for!!!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I was at the bottom of my RWB bin and decided to see if there were any other fabrics. Yikes I found another one! I do have enough 2 " strips cut to make a another rail fence. Will probably need to get a border fabric, but that's okay. I may have enough cut to make a strippy quilt as well.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:06 PM

Welcome, Rob the HOAQ and your wife Cheryl. Great way to destash and I like those shelves.

oksewglad: I look forward to seeing your RWB quilts.

WMUTeach: Congratulations on getting your spool rack hung and spools put on it.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:46 AM

Welcome to the thread RobHOQ.

glad to see everyone making some progress. I managed to empty a file drawer that I was using to store some tools in my office by finding a place to put them in my Art studio where they belong. Now I have a file drawer that I can devotE to my art and quilting paperwork, photos, etc. That’s my next big organizing project. I’ve broken it down into several smaller sub projects so I don't get overwhelmed. For now, I’m making files for sales and expenses so I can get all those receipts out of the desktop plastic drawers Units where I've been stuffing them for years. That will free up more space for things that I actulally use every day and I can add the drawer units to my storage for tools and supplies in either my art or quilting studio.

The next project is to bring my quilt records up to date with info on all the quilts Ikve completed recently. I also need to do the same for my paintings. I just need to order some photopaper so I can print out goodquality pics to attach to he inventory sheets.

Rob
Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Rob....Imwould love to flip thru them pages of all the art projects you have done. I'm not well disciplined in printing the pictures out; however, I do take pain tires of each project so that is so,etching, I guess..

i I received an overlock/serger as a gift and have never used one. I see that it requires lots of spools of specialty threads so I guess I need to figure how to keep those organized when I start to collect them.

If you inventory this size thread, how do you organize it?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 PM

More decluttering. Went through more books and listed them under "Offers" to QD members. Choosing is getting brutal. I love these books but reality says, I'll never use them. So I'm parting with them.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Teen: I would start with one color of serger thread and use that to get to know your machine. Then you can add speciality threads as you learn what your machine can do and if it’s something you are interested in exploring. I am not interested in speciality threads at this time. I only use white for anything I may want to serge. Boring, I know. Lol!

petthefabric: Way to go on the decluttering of books! I understand not wanting to let them go.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:19 PM

This is answer to Teen with overlocker. You can use cotton spools which yiou use with sewing machine. When starting out is good idea to use a different colour for each spool and that way if you have any problems you will know which thread is causing the problems.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:44 AM

Bluebird, like your idea of the different colors.

Way back 30+ yrs ago, when I got my serger, I happened upon a thread supplyer on the internet with thread on sale, ~1/4 the usual price. So I bought 4 spools of a whole lot of colors. Black and white is the only thing I've bought since. Back then I made a lot of clothing. Since it takes 4 spools, "match perfectly" got thrown out the window. It takes 2 dresser drawers to hold it all.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Yesterday started working on a scrappy heart quilt using up lots of HST and of course had to make more. , I told myself several times to organize this project before sewing and I did. Clipped together similar colors to make the construction easier, cleared off the ironing board, etc. Today I'm on row 7 of whatever and having a blast. I've heard it takes 6 weeks to make an activity a habit. Well been sewing all my adult life and that idea is not true...lol
Happy sewing and organizing everyone!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps