Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate to pick colors >

I hate to pick colors

I hate to pick colors

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM

i don't don't pick colors well either, our LQS is great help in that area, they will pull one or two for me and i'll like or not then pick another one and on and on for this I'm greatful or I would have a mess of what nots on my hand.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl
I'll pick for you :) :) I absolutely love chosing fabrics, I love mixing colors, patterns, etc. I hardly own a solid!! Most of my quilt friends are surprised when my choices actually look good together, they usually think I've lost my mind with my choices, then they say I never would have thought to use those together.
I love mixing fabrics!! I have one quilt pattern that uses a solid for the cornerstones in the sashing. That's the only solid I ever use. I love mixing florals with plaids, stripes and dots!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Picking fabrics for a quilt is my favorite part!! I absolutely love putting fabrics together for a quilt and it's so much fun for me that I have made "bundles" of fabrics that go together for future quilts. I have 60 bundles ready to go! I start with my "inspiration" fabric, usually what I intend to use for a border as well as in the quilt. Then I pull fabric from my stash in the colors that are used in the focus fabric and if I don't have anything in my stash, I clip a sample of the ones I do have and put them in a little notebook to take with me when I shop for fabric. It's easy to pull the colors from the focus fabric, but keep in mind that you need a combination of lights, darks and mediums. Remember that you can find the perfect match in color, but you can also go with a lighter or darker shade of that color and it will look great with it. I might choose a large floral, then a smaller floral, maybe a check or stripe and then some tone on tones and maybe a solid to fill in. It is soooo much fun!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM

I love picking colors, but then I use to oil paint years ago, so I learned colors. A lot of times the quilt stores will have the new fabrics grouped together by collections. That way you can see what goes with what. They may have the same print in three or four different colors. Large prints, small prints and everything that blends. It's a good way to pick fabrics.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
Picking colors for me, is fun. (I guess I was in the correct line :) )

Another thing that can help you, those colored dots/numbers that are in the selvage. Use them to help you choose your color(s). Line up your choices, stand back 5 feet or greater and SQUINT (or remove your glasses). The squinting helps you see just the colors and not the prints.

Like most of our quilting endeavors, it does take practice.
How do you use the colored dots/numbers?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM

I like to use collections and then maybe add a solid if I need one.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
I love to piece. I love to quilt. I love to pick blocks!! I hate to pick colors. I can't look at fabric and mix up colors and prints. So my quilts tend to be two colors. White and either a print or a solid. I can mix a solid and a print, if I have a solid color that is also in the print. Then I guess I have three fabrics. I can't seem get the concept of color ranges. I don't know how to mix two prints. I can pick fabrics I like, but I can't mix them up. I've tried light, medium, dark, but then is one a solid, one a small print and one a big print. Do you see the problem?
I bet you have more color sense than you give yourself credit for. Look at your closet and around your house. Those are the colors you love. Then love them into your quilting.

Give it a try. You will grow with it in time.

ali
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Couple suggestions -
**ask at LQS for ideas - they usually can find companion colors if you find 1 special fabric you like.
** use the color dots along selvage to match coordinates to a fabric you like
** don't fret too much - a scrappy quilt or log cabin can look terrific with large variety of fabrics
** and finally, quilts with just a few colors are sometimes more soothing & pretty than ones with too many colors! Enjoy the process & don't worry about too few colors.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM

try this for color schemes if nothing else its fun to play with and see what ACTUALLY goes together!

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
try this for color schemes if nothing else its fun to play with and see what ACTUALLY goes together!

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
This is a cool site!! Thanks so much!! I really appreciate all the good advice I am getting here. I don't feel so bad now! Thank you all again. :lol: