giving a dog asprin

Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Dogs can still get sick from aspirin. It took a couple of times before I realized that when I gave it to my 76# Weim, it was making him sick to his stomach to the point that he wouldn't eat & he is the biggest pig. After that if he needed something for pain, he was given Tramadol.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 PM

I am an RVT, aspirin is a no no, can cause bleeding, I know of one dog that died from owner giving aspirin, They make special pain meds specifically for dogs. I would see your vet if your dog is having problems
Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 AM

You can give your dog up to 2 aspirin twice daily---that is the maximum dose for a dog your size. If a lesser dose will work then use that. Be sure to give with plenty of food in his tummy.
It is the best for joint pain. Do not give Tylenol or ibuprofin!!
You can go to your veterinarian and get prescription meds too.
My husband is a retired veterinarian--I asked what the dose would be.

Hope it helps.

Chris
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 AM

i think my rotty got duramax for pain from surgery on a tore muscle..it worked really good..cost is always an issue though.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 AM

My vet said to never, ever give a dog aspirin!!! It's very dangerous for some reason. Can't remember why. Just remember it's dangerous. She was so adamant about it that that's the part I remember.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 AM

Dogs can take aspirin, but NEVER tylenol! you could probably find a dosage amount online.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

my chocolate lab used to get an asprin a day for her arthritis; i made it a pretty special treat...i would put a gob of peanut butter on a ritz and hide the asprin in the peanut butter...it was her favorite time of day. :-D
if the asprin is for arthritis ... there are other suppliments available in pet shops (like petsmart) specifically for joint pain relief that is better for your dog...and the dosage is based on weight.
i checked with my vet before giving my dog any asprin. one dog could not have asprin...my lab could. a test for liver function is recommended before an asprin regiment
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 AM

Yes,dogs can take asprin...My red Bassett 15 mo old and 44 lbs. has lots of problems with his joints, a trait of this breed....my vet says to give him 1 1/2 tablets per day of the 325 mg..the amount is determined by his weight....do not give them Tylenol or simular pain meds, very hard on their tummy
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 AM

When our little beagle gets 'stoved up' from jumping down off my twin bed or from chasing little bunnies in our yard; we give him a "BABY" aspirin every 24 hours!!! Hubby puts it between cheese.
After about 5 days...our little Rebel has stopped his little whimpers of pain & back to his self. BUT he only weighs about 20 to 23 lbs.
I only know NEVER to give dogs chocolate or raisins or grapes!
Call your vet on how many per day you can give your dog :)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 AM

Yes, but it has to be the coated aspirin, like Ecotrin. You can give your 110 lb GShepherd 1 tablet 3 times a day spread out if he/she is in a lot of discomfort, otherwise give your baby 1 tablet am and pm. We have 90 lb Airedale that we do this with. Helps with the pain of arthritis when he has a spell. We also give him Cosequin DS on a regular basis. You can get that at a reasonable price from Entirely Pets online. (No affiliation). Hope this helps. If you need to discuss this further, PM me.

uote=mimom]has anyone ever heard of giving a dog asprin, if so how many times a day can I give it to my 110lb german shepherd[/quote]