Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Value of wedding quilt for my son >
  • Value of wedding quilt for my son

• Value of wedding quilt for my son

Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 AM

There can be no price put on a quilt made with love, made with expensive fabrics or from scraps. We just want our quilts 'honored' in some way and maybe as someone suggested somewhere or sometime your son's family will make their own memories of the quilt.

Maybe you know your DIL well enough and she might be like a SIL I had, she only valued a gift if she knew how much it cost not how much thought and caring went into it. If that's the case nothing you can do will impress upon her what your labor of love is worth.
    Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Do as ckcowl suggested. Have your quilt appraised and give them the appraisal documents along with the quilt. You have no control over how they treat the gift once it is given. That was determined long, long ago when they were small children.
    Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 AM
    Banned

I've learned over the years that once a quilt is gifted, or anything else for that matter, you just have to let it go or you'll drive yourself crazy. Include a tag on how to care for it (don't forget to emphasize it shouldn't be dry cleaned) and maybe a jar of quilt wash. I would rather see a quilt I gave someone as a gift worn and frayed after a couple of years then in pristine condition. That means it's been well used and well loved. (I never did like the phrase "cutter quilt" you see a lot on eBay.)
    Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
    Banned

Well said Tothill!
    Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM

I can't imagine telling my boys how much something cost that I gave to them. Just tell them all your love went into making this quilt. INMHO
    Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 AM

I want my quilts to be used and become one of those fond memories that my kids have.
    Old 08-19-2012, 03:20 AM

Twenty + years ago my MIL sent home the most lovely quilt for our home. It has remained on our bed ever since my hubby walked in the door with it. I have washed it, air dryed it, had grandkids sleep on it, puppies lay on it, and to this day it is still one of my most prized gifts. But I use it, and I know each stitch that is in it was put there with so much love and tenderness. I miss her, her quilting knowledge was amazing and she did the most beautiful work. When she passed and we went out to MI to clear out her little home, no one wanted all the quilted wall hangings!! I brought them all home, and put them up immediately. They still hang in home, and I love them. I guess what I am trying to say, does anything really matter as long as they love the quilt?
    Old 08-19-2012, 03:24 AM

I found one of the best ways for a quilt to be truly appreciated is to let the person see the quilt in process. One way to do this would have been first to take a picture of the fabric before cutting, then take pictures as you go along. Make an album of it and give it as part of the gift. I know it is too late for this one, but for future quilts, give it a try. I was making a quilt for a fund raiser, and DD stopped by several times during the assembly of it. She was amazed at how much time I spent on it, and had a new appreciation for my quilting. I showed the finished quilt to one of her friends, and DD was very quick to tell all about how I went about making it, and how much time I had spent on it. This came from a person that is not easily impressed.
    Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 AM

My mom's mother made quilts and nobody in her family really appreciates them. Me included until I was in my late 20's. I started making a quilt for my niece's graduation, and it's all hand-work and it's lovely, but while I was working on it, I thought "she won't even like it". And a few months ago, I was reunited with the graduation quilt that I got from Mammaw. I thought it'd been lost, but it was at my mom's. So I got it back from her. It's been in my closet ever since, because I am afraid something will happen to it. On the other hand, when I give my quilts, I say, "If you like it, put it on your bed, I made it for you to use, not store", but I can't do that myself.
    Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 AM

That's the reason I won't make a bed quilt for wedding gift. I know who much is costs and the effot to make it. No one else does.