Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of wedding quilt for my son >

Value of wedding quilt for my son

Value of wedding quilt for my son

Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
Write a little tie on tag to go with it that explains how to take care of it. For example, "I am your wedding quilt. If you take proper care of me, I will last many years. I like to be washed.... I never want to be.... Etc.

Sounds like the ideal solution!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Going through the same thing right now! I just brought "The Dresden Blues" to the LA'er the other day. It is a gift for my oldest son's wedding next february. My son knows how much work and expense I put into a quilt like that one, I would like to think my DIL to be will too. But, like many others have said, when you give something for a gift, it is theirs to do with what they wish.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
I've had the same situation many times. Enclosed with the gift card, I give an article about "how to care for your quilt." In conversation I do tell them it "isn't a blanket" - With my children and grandchildren I tell them to use it, enjoy it, and when it starts to show signs of wear, let me know and I'll make them another one. (With my own daughter and son in law, a king size quilt was actually getting very worn so I came out and asked them to "retire it" and I'd be happy to purchase them a new bedspread for their next anniversary. Also, make sure you write out a relatively detailed label to affix to the quilt more or less for the benefit of posterity. "Happy quilting"
I guess I don't understand this. It isn't a blanket? What is it, decorative? What do you want them to do with a retired quilt? Store it? Toss it? If you tell them to stop using homemade quilt in favor of a purchased spread, are you saying they've don't deserve another quilt or have been been putting the quilt to the wrong use?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
Can you get it appraised and give the appraisal with it?
That's a good suggestion. Our guild did two quilts for a non-profit, and one of our members who is an appraiser, valued them and we included these appraisal forms with the quilts so that the non- profit group knew if they had a raffle or auction with them, how much both quilts were worth. It would also tell the insurance company, in the event of a fire or some other disaster, what the handmade quilt was worth, not just receive the cost for a replacement " blanket".
Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 AM

Take your DIL to a LQS. Show her the cost of fabric.Or get it appraised. That what I did for my SIL.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 AM

I heard an appraiser state the following reasons to put an appraisal and cleaning directions in a little pocket sewn on the quilt:
1. Non-quilters do not know the cost of all the materials used (fabric, thread, pattern, batting, etc) before it is sewn, then adding your time and machine use to it.
2. It should be insured because if something should happen to it (burnt in a fire, lost in a tornado, etc.), the insurance company would say, "Here's $30--go buy a quilt at Wal-Mart"-----Chinese made with poor quality fabric and big "hand stitching"----it's a blanket, right?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM

I would definitely have it appraised it may cost a little bit but then you have a proof of value for insurance purposes and I have a rider on my home owners policy to cover replacement value for my quilts. The last one I had appraised was $1500.00 so very good thing to do. With the cost of materials going up and the future so uncertain being safe rather than sorry is a good thing.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 AM

They should realize that you can't put a value on a quilt. A quilt made especially from you is priceless. I would give them the monetary figures and tell them that you aren't just telling them what it cost as it is worth way more than cost as It can never really be replaced. Tell them you aren't telling them the price to be snoody tell them it needs a replacement value for insurance purposes. It should become priceless to them. The Love and feelings that went into the quilt can never be replaced!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM

ainoko, I like the suggestion of a small pocket sewn on the quilt to put cleaning instructions and an appraisal for insurance purposes. I never would have thought of that.

The time, effort and love put into making a quilt is where the real value is for me. I have just finished a 1st anniversary quilt for my son and DIL and hope they will both cherish it because of those reasons. I want them to use it, but hope they don't abuse it. Alas, once it is theirs, they own it and may do with it what they will.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
How about saying something like, "This quilt was made with heirloom-quality fabrics. If cared for properly, the quilt can be passed down to your children and then to your children's children. I hope you will treasure it as a symbol of my love for you, and my happiness for you on this special day."
I love this idea! I will probably write it out for them with washing instructions. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. Appraisal is a good idea but I do want them to use it and they might not if I went with that. Thanks again.